Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 09:34 PM
Banned

If there is something I hate its a thief ! BUT all these hairy ideas will only get someone in trouble! Yeah I know we all feel like hanging a thief , but in today's world it just isn't worth it! There is NOTHING of material value that deserves taking a life! not even a ford 350! Its ridiculous that a person has to do so much to protect his property ,And again be restricted in what he is legally able to do .Our hands are tied here in Canada! I believe it may be the government IE {police} are scared to lose control ! It,s a lot easier to punish the man attempting to protect himself or his property than to try and get restitution from a no account, who does not have a pot to pee in to start with ! likely the best protection is to lesson the opportunities that afford thieves to steal to begin with .
Old 01-12-2018, 09:35 PM

A neighbour of mine installed a sensor in the driveway and two cameras in his yard. The sensor is planted 6 inches in the ground a ways down the driveway that alerts to his phone. The cameras also alert to his phone pretty neat system.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:53 PM

Default Thieves

A neighbour drove by and called the authorities.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:00 PM

Thumbs up

F-350 needs this option as standard equipment;

https://youtu.be/Iyh0bG7FWJg

-Willy
Old 01-12-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Wire in a kill switch on your truck, cheap and easy to do. Will help save it.
Yes put a kill switch into the ground of the inertia fuel switch.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:10 PM
Banned

Just shoot them keep tight lipped and dump them by the sun child or O'Chiese
Old 01-12-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
f350 seem to popular on their list...nothing beats a big dog for a acreage.
Fords are the easiest to steal
Old 01-13-2018, 12:23 AM

You have three choices: continue your life and make insurance claims, create a defense mechanism in the form of mean dogs or otherwise (which is not always legally secure), or move to a jurisdiction that has laws that are more to your favour.

The first and last point are the only legally safe options. Ask your lawyer. You can try your best with cameras, hiding your nice stuff, whatever. Thieves don’t care. Once you’re on their radar, it’s nothing but a matter of time.

Best of luck, OP.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:30 AM

lots of camera recommendations . we have some at work and have all kinds of pictures of thieves stealing our stuff . which is kind of neat , i guess . pretty expensive " entertainment " because they have been no help in trying to stop or solve a crime .
i was on side when we first started installing them and considered getting some at home but now i'm glad i saved my money .
Old 01-13-2018, 12:50 AM

I see lots of good advice here and lots of stupid stuff..... If you want to spend 10 years in the big house do the stupid stuff. ....

Thieves hate NOISE and LIGHT.......it draws attention fast.

What I have done in the past is let a round fly out of your big rifle...Don't shoot to hurt anyone...... No criminal will boast about how he got shot at when he is bragging on coffee row. And I keep my mouth shut..... and it don't happen again. But I don't live close to civilization.........
Old 01-13-2018, 01:51 AM
Banned

A camera is a passive defence and is useless as a defence unless you plan on monitoring it 24/7. A big dog that’s going to deter thieves and alert you would be my choice. I know of one 180 lb dog that the thieves wouldn’t chance getting out of the truck to pet......lol. Not vicious but VERY intimidating.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:52 AM

IMO only... I think a few pit traps in selective places around the acreage would work just fine.
Dig a pit 10 feet deep and put a trap door that can be 'set' over the hole. Put a good soft foamy on the bottom so the crook doesn't get hurt. Put a bottle of water and a sandwich in there too. Set the traps at night. Have one right beside your truck door even or along the sides of buildings. In the morning check your pit traps and if you have caught a culprit call the cops and tell them they can take their time coming.
Pit traps work for rabbits and grouse. A thief isn't much smarter.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-13-2018, 06:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
I see lots of good advice here and lots of stupid stuff..... If you want to spend 10 years in the big house do the stupid stuff. ....

Thieves hate NOISE and LIGHT.......it draws attention fast.

What I have done in the past is let a round fly out of your big rifle...Don't shoot to hurt anyone...... No criminal will boast about how he got shot at when he is bragging on coffee row. And I keep my mouth shut..... and it don't happen again. But I don't live close to civilization.........
We've been through this before. Some of the less intellectually endowed suggest killing people as a deterrent and will never admit that noise light and having people watch them will ever stop a single theft.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Free deer too!
Old 01-13-2018, 07:36 AM

I hate reading incidences like this; as a recent victim, it hit a nerve.

The innocent owner continues to spend taxed upon, hard earned money to upgrade security and increased insurance premiums..... IT IS JUST NOT RIGHT.

The laws and penalties are in place but no where to house the convicted.

Judges need to be elected......and more jails built.

Personally I would donate and extra $2,000 if I knew it was going towards building a new jail(s). Rather than my unwillingness to support the wasteful taxing from Mr.Turdo and Queen Nutley...... IMHO....

Time for a Snickers.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
Security gate, they can't even get in your yard if you have one, best money I ever spent.
We have neighbors that had the thieves crash right through the gate on a long driveway this past November, with their persumed stolen vehicle however, they left when they found out the folks were home.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:02 AM

Get a dog or two.

If it's 2008 and newer it should have PATS system. Not as easy to steal, older than that install a kill switch.

These thieves are very determined bunch, if they really want it they will get it.

I work at a dealer , we have so much BS stuff happening on lot. Not too long ago they broke into building with a security system and cameras everywhere and stole a brand new F350 from the shop. They knew exactly what to do, keys in truck. Pryed open side door opened bay door and drove it away. Drove it to another dealership a couple hours away left it there and did the same thing to them. Stealing to steal, like it was a game.

Before they upgraded security system thieves cut cables to cameras, broke in, found keys in sales desk and stole vehicles off lot. Joyride and left them at other business in town. They climbed up a a metal water drain for roof to cut the camera.

I live on small acearage, just got a second dog. 3 year old German Shepard. We have attached garage with a fenced off kennel area. Dog doors from garage to house to kennel. They both bark at strangers, they Shepard is big and can look through the 5 feet high glass panels on main door in garage when he goes up. I have monitored security system as well. I think my dogs will do more than the security system ever will to stop thieves.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
Talked to a police officer the other day. He said the f stands for “free” when it comes to the ford 350s. Very popular target for thieves. Big dog would be my suggestion. That’s what we have on our farm. We can’t touch the scum but our dog will
He said "new". Anything newer than 2008 would have PATS and be very difficult to steal without the chip key. You would need the help of a dealer. Any thief trying to steal it would be an idiot ....
Old 01-13-2018, 08:08 AM

In my locale, drug users are committing all the break-ins. Need the money for their habit/dependency. They don't give a crap about getting caught, their need to get a fix overrides everything. Rcmp know who they are. Rcmp even put out public announcements that serial B&E individuals are back in town after release.
I live in a small town......there are at least 2 methadone stations here!!!! Crazy!
If I were King, I would have this fixed in short order. Public canings and executions.......but that ain't gone happen here....
Everything is drug crazy it seems! Not sure what this new legalization outcome is going to be.....
Who is buying all the stolen stuff?? Druggies have to be selling stolen goods to someone??!! Do they ever get convicted??

I have 4 RCMP that live in close proximity to my house. They have patrol vehicles in their driveways most nights. They all have their backyards and garages lit up like daylight in the night time.....
Old 01-13-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
He said "new". Anything newer than 2008 would have PATS and be very difficult to steal without the chip key. You would need the help of a dealer. Any thief trying to steal it would be an idiot ....
Sadly not true. They now have devices that allow them access without keys.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-13-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Sadly not true. They now have devices that allow them access without keys.
It is possible but your average crack head thief does not have the technology. If they had a laptop and ford ids they would have already sold it for drugs
Old 01-13-2018, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
In my locale, drug users are committing all the break-ins. Need the money for their habit/dependency. They don't give a crap about getting caught, their need to get a fix overrides everything. Rcmp know who they are. Rcmp even put out public announcements that serial B&E individuals are back in town after release.
I live in a small town......there are at least 2 methadone stations here!!!! Crazy!
If I were King, I would have this fixed in short order. Public canings and executions.......but that ain't gone happen here....
Everything is drug crazy it seems! Not sure what this new legalization outcome is going to be.....
Who is buying all the stolen stuff?? Druggies have to be selling stolen goods to someone??!! Do they ever get convicted??

I have 4 RCMP that live in close proximity to my house. They have patrol vehicles in their driveways most nights. They all have their backyards and garages lit up like daylight in the night time.....
Im pretty certain the problem is not potheads who are stealing vehicle to get a bag of weed. Lol
Old 01-13-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
It is possible but your average crack head thief does not have the technology. If they had a laptop and ford ids they would have already sold it for drugs
You underestimate thieves, especially professional's. This is a black market business worth billions in Canada . Easy to launder vehicles when they are reduced to parts that are untraceable and worth lots of dollars. You never know which insurance company or mechanic shop are unknowingly buying these parts to repair your vehicle or putting them in containers to ship and be sold in other countries. Thieves stealing nearly new or new vehicles are pretty much on top of any new security and anti theft devices and have them figured out within days of them hitting the market.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3514013/2...ing-like-this/
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle28226997/
Old 01-13-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake123 View Post
So the local authorities nabbed a guy trying to steal my new f350 at 9am this morning. He spilled info that my property has been cased a few times, as expected. Any suggestions out there for acreage (75acres) security?

Speaking to an RCMP officer in our area, he stated that 90 % of the rural properties have been scouted out! That's crazy!
Old 01-13-2018, 11:09 AM

It's pretty obvious that our justice system isn't a deterrent, that the underlying message I see here.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:28 AM

I think the dog is your best bet. Alarms on the property might get set off at random which would be bothersome. If your truck is in a garage I would suggest rigging the doors from the inside with a trip wire and an air raid siren. Or maybe a stukka siren. Loud and lots of it. Other than that I would say anything left outside is pretty well hooped
Old 01-13-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
You can buy the unit online. It's not ids. And it's damn cheap

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-13-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake123 View Post
So the local authorities nabbed a guy trying to steal my new f350 at 9am this morning. He spilled info that my property has been cased a few times, as expected. Any suggestions out there for acreage (75acres) security?
300 win mag

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 04:08 PM
Banned

Problem with telling him to get a big dog is he has to find a puppy and raise it right which takes over a year. Sure he could adopt a rescue big dog but then he will need to train it and train it hard and quick sooooo to say "get a dog man" isn't a quick solution.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Problem with telling him to get a big dog is he has to find a puppy and raise it right which takes over a year. Sure he could adopt a rescue big dog but then he will need to train it and train it hard and quick sooooo to say "get a dog man" isn't a quick solution.
You don't need a dog that's trained. You just need a dog that loses its mind when it sees someone and isn't the size of a Chihuahua.