Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Banned

Default collecting debts with a court order

Back in 2010 I moved back home and was looking for a quick place to rent for a couple months. I moved into a basement suite. The lady that owned the house was a real piece of work. The very first night I was there I went out for a smoke at 11pm and one more a bit later. I went to work the next day, and when I returned home all my belongings were on the ground outside, locks changed. Long story short she said I wasnt able to come or go past 11pm. And threw me out. Totally unjustified and illegal.
I took her to the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service. It was easy to prove she LIED LIED LIED and the judge quickly awarded me every cent. The next step I was told was to file the order with the courts. DONE.
My question is what do I do next?
Can I place liens on her property?
What should I do?
How can I make her pay?

Old 09-12-2017, 07:50 PM

Default 2010 ?

Better check the dates on the judgement, they have expiry/limitation date and need renewal.

I had one on a person/business and he was crafty enough that nothing was in his name. Finally gave up as it needed renewal every year.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Banned

The order is good for 10 years.
Ive known that all along
I found her and her husband, (they are both named) on Facebook finally
The last time we communicated she told me she was dying of cancer.
She looks live and well in her photos.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:01 PM

Default Collection agency

You can turn your judgement over to one of these organization and they will keep 1/3 of what ever they collect. They will hound your land lady to the ends of the earth for their money.

That maybe be your best bet.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:32 PM

You could try contacting her first and saying you're going to a collection agency next. See if she wants to pay the easy way. Not sure on the legalities and wisdom of this approach...?
Old 09-12-2017, 09:39 PM

Would this be a job for Ken? I'm only guessing here... I have to say that to cover my own butt.. Ken is slightly bigger than me!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 09-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Banned

She has avoided me so long, I think she is under the belief I have forgot about it.
Ive heard I can put a lien on her car, so whenever its sold I will get paid??
I just dont want to spend a small fortune to recover this money. I worked hard for my money
Old 09-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Banned

Ive heard of such Ken lol
Actually I believe we have chatted briefly years ago
To be honest, I was hoping he might see this thread
If my memory serves me right, he is good with this kind of thing
Old 09-12-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyDistracting View Post
Ive heard of such Ken lol
Actually I believe we have chatted briefly years ago
To be honest, I was hoping he might see this thread
If my memory serves me right, he is good with this kind of thing
Yes he is.. If you pm him I'm sure he will be able to help once he sees your lookin for him.
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 09-12-2017, 11:04 PM

Go to the Alberta courts website and start reading up on civil claims and garnishments.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-12-2017, 11:35 PM

A few questions for you,

How much does she owe you?
It can't be that much for a basement suite in 2010.
At most, first and last months rent plus DD.

Why has it taken you seven years to go looking for the money?

I understand that you work hard for your money and she has no right
to keep it but how much is your aggravation worth?

If it isn't much money, most collection agencies won't take it.
The chance of them getting the money and the small amount makes
it unattractive for them if you're a new and one time client.

I know this because I owned a small business and had a couple of clients that
owed me $1000 each or less.
They had no interest in doing it.

Whatever happens, good luck.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:39 PM

Where are you located?
Old 09-12-2017, 11:52 PM

Guarranshee a paycheck...60% , guaranshee a bank account 100% to satisfy the guarranshee.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:14 AM

Pm me your phone number

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-13-2017, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Pm me your phone number
Hey Ken.
I am Lowell

Last edited by SlightlyDistracting; 09-13-2017 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Wrong spot. Thought was a pm
Old 09-13-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Hey Ken.
I am Lowell
There... Everything is gonna be alright, I knew he would get here!
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Banned

Yes thank you guys. .
Appreciate the feedback
Old 09-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
Where are you located?
I am in Edmonton
Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 AM

I think you may need a WRIT of Enforcement. Check it out on the government website
Old 09-13-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I am in Edmonton
You need to go to Edmonton law courts, courtroom 262 (2nd floor west side, north tower) and speak to the civil law duty counsel. They will be the ones with the facts and it will probably be worth the price of parking.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Banned

Yes I need a writ of inforcement.
But even after that it gets tricky.
Ive had a member contact me and am looking forward to talking to him later. He came highly recommended and sure he will be able to help. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:39 PM

my understanding is IF you choose the lien route you can then use a civil enforcement agency to repossess and sell so you haven't got to wait for them to sell.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stustage View Post
my understanding is IF you choose the lien route you can then use a civil enforcement agency to repossess and sell so you haven't got to wait for them to sell.
I don't know where you get that from. Certainly not for the small amount that's owing to him. Two months rent and a damage deposit on a basement suite in 2010?

I hope he gets his money. He certainly deserves it but it's not likely.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
I don't know where you get that from. Certainly not for the small amount that's owing to him. Two months rent and a damage deposit on a basement suite in 2010?

I hope he gets his money. He certainly deserves it but it's not likely.
It is true that its not a huge amount. Its enough. Its enough to spend SOME time on. Its more about the point. The lady is horrible. When the judge listened to my evidence and started putting it all together, she through a fit of rage started screaming and was asked to leave. Her husband a little more calm stayed. She had no right to touch any of my belongings let alone throw them outside on the sidewalk. Food and all. And further not call me, and hide. It was unacceptable. She even told the judge that there is nothing he can do to make her pay me. Its not about the money. She needs a reality check.

I waited this long because to collect because life got busy. I have never once forgot what she did, or her stealing my money. I knew I had 10 years and have always intended to collect. She put me in a tough position. That is why I have zero problem paying someone a large percentage to collect it. I do believe she is legally obliged to pay some interest too.

She believes there is no way I will ever see a cent of my money. She has stated that. I am going to prove her wrong again.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
It is true that its not a huge amount. Its enough. Its enough to spend SOME time on. Its more about the point. The lady is horrible. When the judge listened to my evidence and started putting it all together, she through a fit of rage started screaming and was asked to leave. Her husband a little more calm stayed. She had no right to touch any of my belongings let alone throw them outside on the sidewalk. Food and all. And further not call me, and hide. It was unacceptable. She even told the judge that there is nothing he can do to make her pay me. Its not about the money. She needs a reality check.

I waited this long because to collect because life got busy. I have never once forgot what she did, or her stealing my money. I knew I had 10 years and have always intended to collect. She put me in a tough position. That is why I have zero problem paying someone a large percentage to collect it. I do believe she is legally obliged to pay some interest too.

She believes there is no way I will ever see a cent of my money. She has stated that. I am going to prove her wrong again.
Keep at it! ken is like a supersized Dog the Bounty hunter! People like this need a few lessons.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:13 AM

Default I've got another one for Ken

I just saw this thread. I did some sub-contract work for a competitor. It went well for several months. Then he decided to quit pay He agreed to pay me credit card interest rates and assured me he wanted to pay me. I quit working for him when the tab got up to about $4000. He paid me in $100 and $200 amounts for several months and he quit at around $2600 about a year ago. It was all very civil and decent until he stopped paying.

He's still working, and since then he ignores my texts, phonecalls, emails. I'd sure like to square this up with this guy. I've paid all the bills that I incurred servicing his customers for him. And he got paid in full for all the work I did for him. I've got a lien on his truck, but he's the kinda guy that will drive it into the ground and it won't be worth anything.

Want another one Ken?
Old 09-14-2017, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
I just saw this thread. I did some sub-contract work for a competitor. It went well for several months. Then he decided to quit pay He agreed to pay me credit card interest rates and assured me he wanted to pay me. I quit working for him when the tab got up to about $4000. He paid me in $100 and $200 amounts for several months and he quit at around $2600 about a year ago. It was all very civil and decent until he stopped paying.7

He's still working, and since then he ignores my texts, phonecalls, emails. I'd sure like to square this up with this guy. I've paid all the bills that I incurred servicing his customers for him. And he got paid in full for all the work I did for him. I've got a lien on his truck, but he's the kinda guy that will drive it into the ground and it won't be worth anything.

Want another one Ken?
Pm me your contact information

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-14-2017, 09:03 PM

I'd sure love to hear some of Ken's stories on the conclusions on these.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
I'd sure love to hear some of Ken's stories on the conclusions on these.
they all pay! lol