Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2020, 08:10 PM

Default Opinions on using a Klondike commemorative 30-30

So here is the scoop, I have a Winchester Klondike Commemorative 30-30 that was bought in 1977 in the Yukon by my dad. It has never been shot and has no box as it was lost to a flooded basement in the 80’s. I do have a beat up box of the commemorative ammunition. My question is does this gun have enough value or will it gain enough value to keep as is. I want a lever gun to use, the 94 platform is preferred. Do I spend the money on a new or used 94 or should I just use this gun I have? I am not looking to sell this firearm, just would like to know what would you do?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:18 PM

Personally I would use it.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:55 PM

Use it, to you it was your dads and to your son/ daughter it will be a gun their dad shot. To everyone else it’s a post 64 Winchester, nothing more. It’s never going to be worth big money. I have a handful of them I was “collecting “ until I realized that. I gave them to my kids, nephews and nieces with instructions to use them. My 2 pennies anyway.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:11 PM

My dad gave me a winchester 94 38-55 alberta commemorative I use it , I never plan on selling it . I get satisfaction by using it .
Old 01-09-2020, 09:18 PM

I love that most of you are suggesting that I use this gun. I am leaning that way also, but didn’t want to make a huge mistake by using the gun and regretting it.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:21 PM

I would use the heck out of that rifle. Your dad will be walking beside you every step of the way.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:49 PM

I buy guns to shoot. Not to look at. That’s what paintings are for.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:05 AM

I own 2 commemorative and shoot them both. One came with the original box and they both seemed brand new although they were not advertised as such. I payed less than a thousand for each. They don't seem to have any extra value and you can get them in great shape
Old 01-10-2020, 04:57 AM

Default Commemoratives

Don't personally feel they are what I'd call collectible.The plating chips easily and has a cheap look about it.I believe these came out of the old Cooey plant before it closed.Kind of a bling pimp gun.Shoot it.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:59 AM

Use it, there are tons of those commemorative versions, did any of them really appreciate in value?
Old 01-10-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmountainrider View Post
So here is the scoop, I have a Winchester Klondike Commemorative 30-30 that was bought in 1977 in the Yukon by my dad. It has never been shot and has no box as it was lost to a flooded basement in the 80’s. I do have a beat up box of the commemorative ammunition. My question is does this gun have enough value or will it gain enough value to keep as is. I want a lever gun to use, the 94 platform is preferred. Do I spend the money on a new or used 94 or should I just use this gun I have? I am not looking to sell this firearm, just would like to know what would you do?

Thanks in advance.
It's your rifle that was your father's that makes all the difference.
As far as a collector piece or ruining any collector's value, I always tell the "experts" "Well then, if it's a collector's item , why don't you buy it for what I ad it for sale for?" This is usually followed by the sound of crickets!
Bottom line is- as has already been aluded to, shoot it if you want to , and enjoy it knowing it was your father's
Cat
Old 01-10-2020, 10:11 AM

Thanks Cat, I appreciate your opinion
Old 01-10-2020, 10:12 AM

A new commemorative without original box is valued at pretty much the same as a new standard rifle.
It is worth mentioning though that the commemoratives don't have very durable finishes and in my opinion they are not really made to use. I bought and shot a used Cheyenne 44-40 rifle once, and the screws were constantly falling out of it and often lost at the range I have never seen anything like it with any of my other rifles. The finish flaked off easily too. It didn't take long before it looked like an old relic. Also once used I think their resale value is less than a comparably used standard rifle.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
A new commemorative without original box is valued at pretty much the same as a new standard rifle.
It is worth mentioning though that the commemoratives don't have very durable finishes and in my opinion they are not really made to use. I bought and shot a used Cheyenne 44-40 rifle once, and the screws were constantly falling out of it and often lost at the range I have never seen anything like it with any of my other rifles. The finish flaked off easily too. It didn't take long before it looked like an old relic. Also once used I think their resale value is less than a comparably used standard rifle.
Winchester Commemoratives are highly overrated as collectibles, basically made for that market, kind of like those coins the mint cranks out.

Grizz
Old 01-10-2020, 08:21 PM

Default 30-30

Put a nice Skinner Peep sight on it and shoot it.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
It's your rifle that was your father's that makes all the difference.
As far as a collector piece or ruining any collector's value, I always tell the "experts" "Well then, if it's a collector's item , why don't you buy it for what I ad it for sale for?" This is usually followed by the sound of crickets!
Bottom line is- as has already been aluded to, shoot it if you want to , and enjoy it knowing it was your father's
Cat
Best advice you could get. I asked my boys what they want if and when. Some want certain rifles for different sentimental reasons.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 01-10-2020, 09:32 PM

It will have less resale value than a non-commerative.
Put it to good and use start making some memoies.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Winchester Commemoratives are highly overrated as collectibles, basically made for that market, kind of like those coins the mint cranks out.

Grizz
x2 4u and everyone else ... shoot it!!!