Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2019, 02:37 AM

Default Who has the best price on auto glass in Edmonton?

Dang gravel trucks
Old 09-08-2019, 07:46 AM
Banned

Shop around. Call Crystal Glass ask what is the best price they’ll give you then call speedy glass and do the same. You can usually save $50-$75 by telling them the other guy offered you a better deal.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:59 AM

I have been using Jeff's Auto Glass on 150st and 118ave. Prices reasonable, although not sure if cheapest. Service has been top notch and very happy with them. Had windshield replaced one time, they found a bit of rust hiding behind seal. Sanded and touch-up painted it before installing new glass. Meant they kept the vehicle overnight, but was happy they addressed the issue. Think most glass shops wouldn't mention anything.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:03 AM

Not Edmonton, but got my windshield done at Crackmasters(soon to be Parkland Autoglass I think) in Spruce Grove. Great service, best price when I checked around, and free chip repair for a year.
A.H
Old 09-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
I have been using Jeff's Auto Glass on 150st and 118ave. Prices reasonable, although not sure if cheapest. Service has been top notch and very happy with them. Had windshield replaced one time, they found a bit of rust hiding behind seal. Sanded and touch-up painted it before installing new glass. Meant they kept the vehicle overnight, but was happy they addressed the issue. Think most glass shops wouldn't mention anything.
X2 for jeff been using him for over 16 years. Think he has 1 by the south side fishing hole as well
Old 09-08-2019, 08:44 AM

Default Glass

I have found Windshield Surgeons has good prices.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:44 AM

There are lots of places you can get cheap replacement glass, like under 200 on the average pickup with no rain sensing or other fancy stuff built into the glass. There is however a big difference in the quality of the glass. Windshield Surgeons on 127 St had a promo on for $169 for a pickup. If you replace the glass every year or two, the cheap Chinese glass is just fine but it will pit and show sandblasting much easier than quality glass if you tend to keep it 3 or more years.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:18 AM

I can vouch for windshield surgeons, stopped by for a quote and had the truck back in an hour. Very happy with the service and pricing
Old 09-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There are lots of places you can get cheap replacement glass, like under 200 on the average pickup with no rain sensing or other fancy stuff built into the glass. There is however a big difference in the quality of the glass. Windshield Surgeons on 127 St had a promo on for $169 for a pickup. If you replace the glass every year or two, the cheap Chinese glass is just fine but it will pit and show sandblasting much easier than quality glass if you tend to keep it 3 or more years.
Very good point Mr Dean. There is a difference in quality of the glass, and Chinese glass is cheap for a reason. Windshields cost more about 15-20 years ago then they do today and it’s because of the Chinese glass, but it’s easy to notice the difference in quality after the first year.

Ask where the windshield is made before you decide if it’s a good deal I guess.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:54 AM

Autoglass solutions in leduc/nisku has been my go-to over the last 10 years. I have yet to find better prices and they do really good work.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:09 PM

crackmaster ~200$
Old 09-08-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfraser View Post
I have found Windshield Surgeons has good prices.
I as well. They always seem to have the best price when I need a windshield.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:46 PM

Learned something new. I would of thought all glass is the same.

I was just thinking I should contact the dealer first. Still under warranty and the glass is part of the collision avoidance and lane assist features. Don’t need a bad windshield job damaging that.

Buddy had his Volvo camera damaged and cost thousands to repairs and do the windshield a second time.

So far best price for a newer RAV4 is $360.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-08-2019, 07:40 PM
Banned

We lost our glass "guy" last Spring and I had to seek out alternatives. Windshield Surgeons are good, Crystal Glass good, Jeff's Auto Glass gave me a tutorial on glass.
We have the regular glass ($199 - $225) and then the glass that costs $350. I needed the glass for a 2014 RAV4 with ADAS, I told Jeff not to worry, we can set it up. ( we use those scanners from princess auto like y'all use). The $350 glass has "acoustic insulation" to minimize road noise... I had NO idea that this even existed.. SO, if you have a "high" end vehicle it would be best to step up..If you have 79 F150 just stick to cheap glass because the wind noise from the poorly sealed door glass be louder than a finely tuned acoustic windshield
Old 09-08-2019, 08:09 PM

I use Windshield Surgeons for all our vehicles and have for a few years. Always good prices and good service.

As far as "Chinese glass", this is from the Windshield Surgeon website:

https://www.windshieldsurgeons.com/quality-glass

Years ago, there was a clear divide in glass quality based on where is was produced. Mature North American and European glass producers actually made their glass domestically. While glass sourced from other foreign countries (or “Chinese Glass”) was made by smaller organizations – frequently at a lower standard.

However, the glass industry is no exception to the process of globalization. North American producers have outsourced much of their production to various countries around the globe. Yes, including China. North America usually no longer has the most technologically advanced factories.

A prime example of this is PGW (formerly PPG) which is not only one of our suppliers but is also the largest OEM supplier in North America.

When purchasing from PGW (or similar), many smaller glass shops will tell customers they are installing “North American glass”. While there is a chance that they are not aware of the distinction, this statement is false. Just because glass is purchased from a North American company, does not mean it was produced here – or that it is any good.

The fact is, to our knowledge, there is no major automotive glass supplier that still exclusively sells glass produced inside North America. This includes automotive manufacturers or “dealership glass”.

What matters for quality is not “where” but rather “who” it is purchased from. Is it from a reputable major world supplier with OEM quality standards? Also, just as importantly, is it being installed by trained technicians who know how to protect you and your vehicle?
Old 09-08-2019, 09:17 PM

Glassmasters. I checked every place in Edmonton and they had the cheapest price for the same glass. Crystal was the most expensive. They all use the same training and more often than not, the techs have worked for all of them at one point or another.
I had my F-150 replaced for $175
My wife's Accord for $190
My Santa Fe for $220
and my Miata done for $199.

They also repaired some chips I got in the Honda and the Ford for $15 per chip but did two for free on the F150
Old 09-08-2019, 10:31 PM

I got a windshield at Glassmasters because they were the cheapest. Didn't take much to crack that windshield though, definitely wasn't OEM quality.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I got a windshield at Glassmasters because they were the cheapest. Didn't take much to crack that windshield though, definitely wasn't OEM quality.
They offer more than one windshield for the same vehicle.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:55 PM

Well I wasn't going to get this technical but seems I must. there is a BIG difference between various cars in terms of how hard it is to replace their windshields and exactly what spec OEM glass is made to. A 2017 Lexus LS 460 has rain sensing, Collision avoidance, adaptive cruise, lane sense, lane keep, lane change and auto braking technology that all is impacted by sensors, and cameras that need to be calibrated to the windshield. Also, the windshield itself is not just standard auto glass, it has acoustic dampening and a very specific refractive index. If you drop $200 glass into your Lexus a whole bunch of stuff is not going to work right.

Long way of saying, you need to know a lot more to replace a windshield than you ever used to. Cheapest glass for my 1996 Dodge is pretty easy, for many cars made in the last 3 years and high end cars made in the last 15 years, not nearly as simple. Make damn sure you know what all you need to take into consideration when getting a new windshield, or at least make sure your glass company knows exactly what they are doing.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
All windshields are not created equal. As with most things, you get what you pay for
Old 09-10-2019, 10:30 AM

Default windshield surgeons 127 St

I used them for our Subaru.
It ended up a fiasco and had to deal with the general manager to straighten it out and even then it was a gong show.
They put in 4 windshields in 3 months in order to rectify poor installation and bad glass with them finally opting to put in an OEM Subaru one.
They broke a number of moldings in doing the replacements as well.
Our car was only a couple years old and this was the first windshield replacement.
They talk a good game though.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:15 AM

Jeffs auto glass.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:18 PM

Get an online quote on glassmaster's website.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Well I wasn't going to get this technical but seems I must. there is a BIG difference between various cars in terms of how hard it is to replace their windshields and exactly what spec OEM glass is made to. A 2017 Lexus LS 460 has rain sensing, Collision avoidance, adaptive cruise, lane sense, lane keep, lane change and auto braking technology that all is impacted by sensors, and cameras that need to be calibrated to the windshield. Also, the windshield itself is not just standard auto glass, it has acoustic dampening and a very specific refractive index. If you drop $200 glass into your Lexus a whole bunch of stuff is not going to work right.

Long way of saying, you need to know a lot more to replace a windshield than you ever used to. Cheapest glass for my 1996 Dodge is pretty easy, for many cars made in the last 3 years and high end cars made in the last 15 years, not nearly as simple. Make damn sure you know what all you need to take into consideration when getting a new windshield, or at least make sure your glass company knows exactly what they are doing.

That's an excellent point. I do think that all of the major glass shops are well versed in which windshield to use and how to install it though. I'm sure there are some smaller shops that don't specialize in auto glass that could screw it up though.
Oddly enough, the only time I ever had an issue was with a newer F-150 that I had the windshield replaced was at the dealership. It leaked enough to cause several thousand dollars worth of damage and the wiring harness had to be replaced. I had to fight them the whole way till they finally agreed to pay for it and fix it properly. My truck was out of commission for almost a month due to their incompetence.
I won't mention the place because in the end they did make it right.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:04 AM

I would avoid Crystal Glass like the plague. Just because a company advertises a lot it doesn't make them good at what they do.

A friend had an unbelievably bad experience at their west end location.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:16 AM

Default Speedy glass

Go see Rob at speedy glass on 91st and argyl they are awesome fixing cracks or replacing,even clean your vehicles while it’s there,crystal glass chipped the paint all around the windshield when installing the new glass on my truck,complete nightmare
Old 09-14-2019, 11:52 AM

Default jeffs autoglass

we use jeffs Autoglass through work and i have had him do the work at my house out in onoway couldn't ask for any better service than that.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:30 AM

236 for a 2010 gmc 2500 hd truck no rain censer
Old 01-21-2020, 05:49 PM

used Jeff's today for a new windshield on the wife's Toyota. $225 with a new molding. In at noon and our by 2. Very satisfied.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:09 PM

Does expensive glass last any longer?