Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 05:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I had an f150 back in 1990 with the 5.0L and a before that an 88 Mustang GT with the 5.0L and they were solid engines. I figured Ford took that design and modernized it. Good to hear not too many issues.

This one is at a dealer and has 126,000 kms. Has all the bells and whistles. The head issue is a concern but like most vehicles, hard to know if the one you have will develop the issue.

We have not went to look at it yet. Figured I would ask before. I will look up some online forums too.

22 yr old, been driving a 14 yr old mazda 3 for the last few years, kept his ins rates low(that's gonna change lol). Has a decent job and saved some cash so will be his first purchase on his own, won't be hauling much with it. Just a daily driver.

Appreciate the info.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:17 PM
Banned

Picked up the same 2014 truck in very good condition at start of January 160000km fx4 with every option for 19000 cash price . So don't let him over pay too much.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. I had an f150 back in 1990 with the 5.0L and a before that an 88 Mustang GT with the 5.0L and they were solid engines. I figured Ford took that design and modernized it. Good to hear not too many issues.

This one is at a dealer and has 126,000 kms. Has all the bells and whistles. The head issue is a concern but like most vehicles, hard to know if the one you have will develop the issue.

We have not went to look at it yet. Figured I would ask before. I will look up some online forums too.

22 yr old, been driving a 14 yr old mazda 3 for the last few years, kept his ins rates low(that's gonna change lol). Has a decent job and saved some cash so will be his first purchase on his own, won't be hauling much with it. Just a daily driver.

Appreciate the info.
The modern 5.0 is not the old 302. The new 5.0 is a modified modular (4.6/5.4) v8.

Have the dealer show you a relative compression test. It takes 2 minutes using Ford's IDS (the factory scan tool). The relative comp test cranks the engine while disabling fuel injection and simultaneously monitoring crankshaft speed. An increase in crankshaft speed indicates less compression in a cylinder relative to the other cylinders.

If you have more than 1% drop on any hole - but especially numbers 4 and 8 - then have them perform a leak down test as it will likely be requiring cylinder heads in the near future. Be weary of an even slightly rough idle. That is what the engine will feel like not long before it codes for the misfire on cylinders 4 and 8 ; )

Other common repairs (some relate to the 5.0, others to that body style f150 in geneeal)
- broken wiring in the door harnesses (in the accordions)
- water pumps leak and at times fall apart on the 5.0
- coolant leaks at the 1" hose going into the degas bottle
- rear ends fail a bit, bit if rebuilt PROPERLY it should be one and done
- tcase front output seals (requires teardown)
- 6r80 trans pumps and sometimes the case itself
- evap vent valve wiring breaks and the charcoal canister
- wiring running along the left side of the frame breaks, often for the fuel pump driver module, trailer lamps, reverse sensors etc)

Worked on these things for years and I know them like the back of my hand. They are good trucks, and if I had to go and buy a newer half ton it is exactly what I would get. Nothing is perfect though. Just go in eyes wide open!
Old 01-22-2020, 06:57 PM

So from the post above.There worn out by 200K.How about the new ones? 18,19. Are they different heads?
Old 01-22-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
Picked up the same 2014 truck in very good condition at start of January 160000km fx4 with every option for 19000 cash price . So don't let him over pay too much.
Dealer is asking $23,998.00. He has a line of credit for more so we can do the we will offer you this much game and see what they say. Looks decent in the pics but until you get on your back and look underneath and listen to it run etc, could be a pig with lipstick.

In my work, I look for values on everything from trucks, to semis to skid steers. Today I searched for comparable 5.0L, loaded trucks with similar km's. What they are asking is in line with the ones I found for sale here in Ab and across the other provinces.

First buy so I want him to not be intimidated by dealers and their games. He has to realize he holds the money and the power to negotiate or walk.

I remember my dad going with me to look at a car I wanted so bad. A base model 81 Monte Carlo, am radio, no power nothing, no options. The dealer had it spiffy, even lacquered the engine compartment to make it shine(before the days of engine waxes).

They were asking a ton at this dealer and dad said no. Boy was I mad. He did the same job I do now but way before the internet. We used truck and car traders back then to find comparable's. Well, I did the same searching when I started working with them, looking through page after page for comparable's, so I know the time it took for him to find & show me a bunch of photo copies of 81 Monte Carlo's for sale.

He showed me so many loaded cars for sale, in as good as or better shape and less money. 30 yrs later I still remember that lesson like it was yesterday. I will always remember him saying, you will pay more for a shiny base model than a loaded one. You have to look at what your getting, for what your spending.

I got a bunch of trader ads to show my kid tonite . Good thing is, he has picked a truck that is priced ok for what it comes with. Now we just have to go look and see what the dealer is like.

Last edited by Sooner; 01-22-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:03 PM

Prices of used trucks have gone up significantly since I bought my ‘13 F150. It only had 6000km on it when I bought it used from a dealer. Paid $30k cash. Took about a week for them agree to the price. Bought a 2009 GMC 2500 from a member here. Had 30,000km and paid $30k. Still have it to pull my fifth wheel and as a backup truck.

Now I get laughed at when making an offer like that. Had one dealer tell me I would have better luck finding a unicorn.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
So from the post above.There worn out by 200K.How about the new ones? 18,19. Are they different heads?
The intake valves stuck into the seats and eventually fail to seal. They sharpen themselves to the point you can shave with them. For whatever reason it happens on the cylinders closest to the firewall and inproves gradually as you move forward toward cylinders 1 and 5.

Lease road trucks were the worst affected. Seemed the more mud on them the more likely to fail. I had always assumed it was a heat dissipation thing as the root cause (hence the rear most cylinders failing). Ford came out with a revised cylinder head part number claiming improvement. I have seen trucks as low as 50 000 km fail, and I have done countless units on powertrain warranty up to 100 000. The last unit I repaired was a 2013 at my own shop with 150 000ish km on it.

I have never had to repair a 5.0 for this condition in a 2015+ aluminum body truck. That said, I am no longer a dealership tech. I opened my own repair shop in Whitehorse during April 2019.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Meal Farm View Post
The intake valves stuck into the seats and eventually fail to seal. They sharpen themselves to the point you can shave with them. For whatever reason it happens on the cylinders closest to the firewall and inproves gradually as you move forward toward cylinders 1 and 5.

Lease road trucks were the worst affected. Seemed the more mud on them the more likely to fail. I had always assumed it was a heat dissipation thing as the root cause (hence the rear most cylinders failing). Ford came out with a revised cylinder head part number claiming improvement. I have seen trucks as low as 50 000 km fail, and I have done countless units on powertrain warranty up to 100 000. The last unit I repaired was a 2013 at my own shop with 150 000ish km on it.

I have never had to repair a 5.0 for this condition in a 2015+ aluminum body truck. That said, I am no longer a dealership tech. I opened my own repair shop in Whitehorse during April 2019.
This happened to mine 2015 with the revised cylinder heads
Old 01-23-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Tommy View Post
This happened to mine 2015 with the revised cylinder heads
Yikes!! So hard to choose a used truck these days.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:55 AM

Wife has a 2016 with 110k on it. Intake manifold at 106k. No other issues.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 01-23-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Yikes!! So hard to choose a used truck these days.

Yup. They’re all junk, you just hope you get a better piece of junk.
I had a 2012 5.0. Heads went at 140 kms. Traded it in on a 15 eco, 210 kms and no issues to speak of other than continuous brake jobs.
As as side note, I much preferred to drive the ‘12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2020, 09:14 PM

I have a 2013 5.0 with 90K and only regular maintenance and tires so far. Quite a few miles pulling my 30 foot trailer and good so far(knock on wood).....
Old 01-25-2020, 06:43 PM

So this head issue isn’t a problem with the ecoboost?Funny how Ford could make a decent engine years ago then change it.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:13 PM

I have a 2010 Nissan Titan pro4x. 355k . Everything works. HD a cracked manifold replaced . That's all
Old 01-25-2020, 08:23 PM

Got a 2018 5.0 runs good no issues. It has the best engine out of the line up for my needs. Fuel economy is not bad either for a V8 truck.