Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-10-2020, 12:44 PM

Default Southern alberta range recommendation

Currently live near Okotoks and drive the better part of 2 hours to shoot on crown land. I'm wait listed at CDTSA, hoping I'll get in this year...if not I've been looking at Lethbridge Fish and Game, Brooks, and the Oldman River gun club.

Mostly looking for a place to do load development and groups, basically get better at longer range shooting. Place to shoot pistols wouldn't hurt either. It sounds like all 3 of those ranges have that, so curious if anyone has any experience\recommendation on what they would pick given the choice? Thanks!
Old 01-10-2020, 01:28 PM

I used to live in Lethbridge and I've maintained my membership at the range there for a long time. It's one of the nicest ranges in southern Alberta, you can shoot rifle out to 300 yards, plus they have other ranges for pistol, rimfire, and special use ranges, trap, and archery.

To get a card to the electronic gate, you need to take the range officer course and become a range officer. Otherwise, you need to make arrangements to shoot with a range officer. They offer the range officer course multiple times through the year. It's about $160 / year for a regular adult membership with range privileges.

I've shot IPSC matches at Brooks, as far as I know it's handgun and rimfire only.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:26 AM

Default Shooting range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly85 View Post
Currently live near Okotoks and drive the better part of 2 hours to shoot on crown land. I'm wait listed at CDTSA, hoping I'll get in this year...if not I've been looking at Lethbridge Fish and Game, Brooks, and the Oldman River gun club.

Mostly looking for a place to do load development and groups, basically get better at longer range shooting. Place to shoot pistols wouldn't hurt either. It sounds like all 3 of those ranges have that, so curious if anyone has any experience\recommendation on what they would pick given the choice? Thanks!
Taber is worth checking out - its called the Taber Shooting Foundation and has its own web site.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly85 View Post

Did you find a range? I’m looking in the same area
Old 03-08-2020, 11:02 AM

Check out the Alberta Provincial Rifle Association website. There is 4 clubs 40 min west of Calgary. I have no idea how the memberships work and if its only used for competitions or not. But there is contact info on the website to find out, other than that there is nothing else nearby that I'm aware of.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:31 PM

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2020, 12:51 PM

I'm also looking for a range near Calgary. Unfortunately in the last few years I've had to join the Sherwood Park Fish and Game range. While a fantastic range it's a bit of a drive just to go shoot for a day or weekend.

I've heard the Rocky Rod and Gun Club is also quite nice but still a bit of a drive.

https://www.rockygunclub.com/home.html
Old 10-10-2020, 08:08 AM

Default Reviving an old thread.

Hi guys

Moving to Calgary in November, after 20 years in Fort McMurray. Looking for a gun range (NON RESTRICTED) to shoot at.

I have checked out Milo range (CDTSA) on line. Looks like a nice range, but a bit of a drive. Is this the closest mid range rifle range to Calgary?
Basically looking for a place for load development and improve shooting skills, no need for a 1000 yards/meters but 100 to 500 would be nice. Archery Range and rimfire range would be a bonus.

I think I am going to miss the Fort McMurray Gun Range...so close to home and excellent facility.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2020, 10:00 AM

I'm a Brooks member. The rifle/archery range (Fish & Game) is separate from the pistol club, but membership is cheap...I think they're each $60/calendar year. Rifle range has backings at 25, 50, 75 (I think?), 100, 200, 300 yard ranges and decent sized shack to shoot from, maybe 10 or so tables and bags on every other one. They usually have a stack of 8x11 paper targets and thumbtacks if you want to use them, I still bring my own and a staple gun.

Nice that its padlock access so you can go on your own schedule. But I imagine all the outdoor ranges are that way.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:26 AM

I was a Lethbridge member for 30 years. Then saw the light and joined the Taber range. Best range I have ever been too. Also goes out to 600.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:37 PM

CDTSA Milo is a nice range

Cons
It's a bit pricey for membership
Milo is a bit of a drive - 1 1/4 hr drive from my place in South Calgary
Milo is windy, real windy. If you wanna do load development, it's best to get there early before the wind kicks up.
The dedicated rimfire range at Milo is less than 50m
The shotgun facilities at Milo are limited. I don't shoot shotgun so I'm just stating what others have said.

Pros
The Milo range has an assortment of ranges that are called 'multi purpose bays'. They are 50m or less and you can shoot handgun, shotgun at non-flying targets and some rifles, depending on what they are chambered for. The club rules would explain this better than I can.
Milo range has 50, 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500m rifle ranges. The benches and shelters are pretty decent.
Milo is windy, real windy. If you wanna learn to dope the wind, this is your place.
The Milo facility is nice and still improving, with more construction taking place as funds allow.
If you're driving from Calgary on Hwy2, it's pretty convenient to stop in at Fly's in High River.

All in all, Milo is a nice place to shoot. I've got a nickle that says that they're gonna allow a bunch of people on the wait list to join this year.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
CDTSA Milo is a nice range

Cons
It's a bit pricey for membership
Milo is a bit of a drive - 1 1/4 hr drive from my place in South Calgary
Milo is windy, real windy. If you wanna do load development, it's best to get there early before the wind kicks up.
The dedicated rimfire range at Milo is less than 50m
The shotgun facilities at Milo are limited. I don't shoot shotgun so I'm just stating what others have said.

Pros
The Milo range has an assortment of ranges that are called 'multi purpose bays'. They are 50m or less and you can shoot handgun, shotgun at non-flying targets and some rifles, depending on what they are chambered for. The club rules would explain this better than I can.
Milo range has 50, 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500m rifle ranges. The benches and shelters are pretty decent.
Milo is windy, real windy. If you wanna learn to dope the wind, this is your place.
The Milo facility is nice and still improving, with more construction taking place as funds allow.
If you're driving from Calgary on Hwy2, it's pretty convenient to stop in at Fly's in High River.

All in all, Milo is a nice place to shoot. I've got a nickle that says that they're gonna allow a bunch of people on the wait list to join this year.
Hey BIG SKY

Thanks for the PRO CON list. I guess Im wondering, is there something better closer?

I stopped in the Fly's for the first time this Aug coming back from camping. Nice shop. I will be visiting it often once I'm permanently down there.