Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-23-2011, 04:46 PM

The regs said 5100 animals tested .4% positive in 2010. It does say that there is no scientific proof of it infecting humans, and WHO states it shouldn't enter the food chain.
I've also read that when butchering you should refrain from allowing spinal fluids from contaminating meat. It apparently isolates itself to the brain and spinal cord.
I haven't had an animal that was positive yet, but it has always been to the butchers and eatin before test results returned. They can't be too concerned; wouldn't there be lots of cross contamination through the wild game processors?
Old 11-28-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
The regs said 5100 animals tested .4% positive in 2010. It does say that there is no scientific proof of it infecting humans, and WHO states it shouldn't enter the food chain.
I've also read that when butchering you should refrain from allowing spinal fluids from contaminating meat. It apparently isolates itself to the brain and spinal cord.
I haven't had an animal that was positive yet, but it has always been to the butchers and eatin before test results returned. They can't be too concerned; wouldn't there be lots of cross contamination through the wild game processors?
You would think so. A big problem is how to clean your equipment if contaminated. The university of Wyoming recommends soaking your knive in a 50% bleach solution for 4 hours, and even the effectiveness of that is unclear. Cleaning a grinder or saw would be even more problematic. Heat does not kill a prion. Surgical equipment that comes in contact with Cruetzfeld-Jakob's (human prion disease) generally needs to be discarded as an autoclave may not effectively clean it.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:26 PM

Dropped off a head in the freezer, as per the instructions. Frozen, head skinned, top of skull plate removed with antlers, most of brain and all of jaws/ throat still present.

Message came back "unsuitable for testing".

Any idea if they only test a certain %, or ??? If I did something wrong with the submission that made it untestable, I'd like to know for next time. A little more info would help make me feel the effort was worth my time. It was a mandatory testing zone.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:10 PM

Leather Burner phone 310-0000 then ask for Margo Pybus and explain what happened and ask her... she is our head of diseases in animals in Alberta SRD

Food for Thought
David
Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 PM

Thanks David.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 AM

nice. thank you for that
Old 09-01-2012, 03:19 PM

Can you let us know what you find out? I hunt in 230, have to submit for the first time this year. It would be nice to know what to do!