Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-27-2020, 04:09 AM

Default Back vs. Bow quivers for archery?

what are the pros and cons of each. Thank you to all
Old 12-27-2020, 05:11 AM

Wind is a con for bow mount

Back more movement and catches on trees. May cause sweating with another layer.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:46 AM

Tried both

For my style of spot and stalk hunting
I use a hip quiver never looked back

Quiver on the bow primarily was bow balance being thrown off.
Let alone the darn wind

Back quiver I found it to uncomfortable just couldn't get used to it.

Try a few options it will be your personal preference.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:38 AM

I use a bow mounted quiver, it’s the best of all worlds IMHO. Tight Spot specifically, can be removed and installed almost without any sound. The quiver mounted on the bow is less consequential to the wind than you and your bow. A hip quiver has too much movement and is noisy walking through the understory, and catches on things. I would never use a back quiver with broadheads... if you can’t see where you are dragging a razor that not a good thing.

LC
Old 12-27-2020, 09:09 AM

I agree with Lefty. I have never hunted out of a tree stand and whether hunting mountains, prairie, or in the trees I have found the bow mounted quiver to be the best. Easy and quietest. Back in the early 80's I found I did shoot a bow a bit better groups without the quiver, but with the new bows it doesn't make a difference if I have one on or not even in the wind.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:47 AM

I always found with a back quiver it was difficult to get arrows out quickly and quietly. Bow mounted they are there were I could see them. Never really noticed any difference in shooting with the quiver on or off.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:59 AM

Bow mounted is fastest to get a second arrow ready. This matters more often than you think. Also easiest to manage in all the different positions and movements one must undertake during a stalk. Fred Bear knew this and wrote much about the subject.

Hip quivers are ok at the range or maybe in places like Arizona, etc where there is no under brush to catch on. But they do catch, on everything, and also collect sticks, rain, snow, pinecones and all other manner of annoyances.

I don’t doubt that hip mounted would be slightly more accurate if you were to average scores over a year of shooting at targets with both systems, but hunting often dictates different priorities to be effective at killing things.

Never tried back mounted. Wouldn’t want to be carrying broadheads somewhere I couldn’t see
Old 12-27-2020, 12:20 PM

I used a Cat Quiver11 when I bow hunted steady,, that or if only stump shooting I use a 1950's vintage Bear back quiver.
Love using both.
The catquiver allows quick and silent access to the broadheads without spooking game

Cat
Old 12-30-2020, 07:16 PM

The bow mounted quivers of yesteryear drove me to a hip quiver some time in the mid 90’s. I used one until about 2006 and truth be told hated it. I lost a lot of arrows out of it walking around the bush and it was forever in the way and always waving around behind me but better then the other options I knew about.
I then got a side quiver from safari tuff and while it was predominantly for my longbow setup it served double duty with my compound. Wear it across your back or just over your arm. Arrows are retrieved and returned to the quiver from the bottom. Very quick, no motion, the arrows are protected and for the most part it’s never in the way. They look like this

On the compound I’ve been using a tightspot since they came out (~12ish years?)and haven’t got any complaints. It’s one of those items that’s earned it’s place on my bow and has never let me down or irritated me. Like lefty said, infinitely adjustable and just plain works.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:08 PM

Default Tried them all

A good back quiver with a crease in the right spot is pretty sweet. Easy to access and keeps your bow light. Of you have to carry anything or are hiking it's an easy way to loose arrows.

Just for keeping it all together the bow quiver has an advantage. Even on a longbow I found the disadvantage of wind and weight to be minor for having everything there in one hand. I Cary a pack all the time now so a back quiver is not helpful.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:33 PM

When practicing Ill use a bow quiver, pocket quiver and hold the arrows in my bow hand. I like to get used to using all different kinds so when I'm in the field and have to put it to use it doesn't feel awkward. I shoot a traditional bow. The transition of arrow to string while in the shooting hand feels nice. Even when trying hard to group a set of 3 arrows it doesn't take much longer that 40 Seconds from start to finish.

Here's a link to a video I took this summer with my drone while trying to catch the arrow flight. You can see the arrows in my shooting hand.

http://imgur.com/gallery/9k7Nzfb
Old 01-02-2021, 08:48 AM

The Cat Quiver is nice for long trecks, lots of storage for stuff in the backpacks, and easy access to arrows. A hip quiver is great on hot days hunting gophers. or walking trails after grouse. I often use a leather, back quiver like Knotter mentioned. The crease keeps the arrows tight and easy access. I think it depends on the situation and the need. Have several bow quivers but have always removed them when in my tree stand or blind. Have also adapted a bow quiver to a backpack.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-27-2021, 11:14 PM

Wow! Learning a lot! Newbie here.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:53 PM

Default Its what you are used to

I have been using a Chuck Adams hip quiver for 32 years now. I hunt almost exclusively from tree stands- with the exception when I am after antelope.
I don't have much issue with arrows snagging and falling out as I have trails cut to my stands so I don't have to bushwhack in the dark. I have a soft cloth cover over the fletches which keeps things quiet and in place. When I get settled in the quiver is hung from a branch or hook with a second shot arrow loosened for easy access.
When I'm on the ground after antelope I add a long loop of rubber tubing to the quiver and sling it over my right shoulder and behind my left arm. I shoot left. Its easy to get off for the last bit of belly crawling with the decoy.
As I said- its what you get used to.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:39 AM.