Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-20-2020, 01:48 PM

Default Army Crawl

Wondering how you guys go about army crawling with your bows? I tried it this fall, but kept worrying about my sights and rest getting bumped. So I put it on my back, but that produced a lot of movement, and it was hard to keep it balanced and from falling off. I had to crawl about 100 yards to get to good cover but the group of 8 deer made me I believe due to all the movement. Wind was in my face as I crawled to them/ cover. This was in October with no snow on the ground and about 18" tall hay/ prairie field. Thanks
Old 12-20-2020, 02:10 PM

Go slower and be gentle with your bow so you don’t knock anything out. They can see grass move and hear it. Don’t move unless they are looking away

Practice is what will make you good at it. You start to realize what you can and cannot get away with after screwing up lots. My dad used to get us as kids to sneak up on deer to see how close we could get well before we were old enough to hunt
Old 12-22-2020, 01:48 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

leopard crawl..youtube it...I just put the bow on top of my forearms string side close to my face and hold bow with hands...crawled too many times with the FNC1 in the army that the first time crawling with my bow was almost second nature but you gotta move slow on game....don't want to disappoint you but the buggers win 99.9 % of the time....enjoy the stalk as it is freakin' fun!

ohhh a real biggie is prior to notching an arrow and getting ready for go time ensure your bow is free of any debris you may have picked up as it can hinder the bows performance drastically.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Tags
bow, crawl