Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-09-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Prophet River has the Americans for $549, no tax and free shipping right now...
I thought this was a bad price till I saw them in High River at Canadian Tire today.

$429.00

30-06 .270 .308 and one other but I could not read tag.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dropper View Post
Shot it yesterday after a trigger adjustment, shoots decent still, better than my Weatherby Vanguard, magazine is a bit hokey, but it works, tried a variety of handloaded and factory loads, will eventually have to find a nice"lightweight" stock for it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Congratulations on your new rifle!
Old 04-10-2017, 03:33 PM

Thanks, the more I play with it the more I like it.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:56 AM

Default Thoughts on the American and XPR

A few years ago, I purchased 2 Americans in .308 for my 2 boys to use. Each were about $300 U.S. at the time, minus scope and rings. Americans are accurate enough for my purposes (+/_ 1 MOA with most factory ammo) but the stocks are flimsy at best and have a "V" block bedding system that is a bit tricky to glass bed. Several of the magazines I have do not feed reliably. The stock trigger is fine and easy to adjust (I also cut 1.5 coils off for a 2 lbs. pull). Bolt is better than the Axis but not butter smooth. Matte finish is as expected at this price

I purchased an XPR this July in 300 WSM without bases or rings for just under $300 after $100 rebait. The trigger is nice and crisp and easy to adjust. The stock is much more solid than the American, no flex felt or observed. The recoil lug fit a bit loose, but was easy to glass bed the stock. The magazine feeds well so far. Bolt is somewhat stiff to work but I expect it will smooth out as I cycle it more. Finish is matte. I can shoot 0.8-1 MOA at best with hornady precision hunter ammo. No big complaints about the gun. It's another decent budget Rifle. Both rifles will get the job done for almost any hunting scenario, but so far I prefer the XPR.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:27 AM

I just about jumped on the Savage Axis this summer, but my wallet was to thick when I walked into the store. Ha.

Seen lots of folks at the range this year with Axis's and XPR's.

Both units work good, and they seem to offer the quality to price point which is good for those that like the idea of a back up second rifle or to have it as their main shooter.

Glad to hear you found something that will work for you.

Don
Old 10-14-2017, 07:04 AM

Not sure what idea you were planning on for a stock DD, this is my plan on my build this winter.

I'm getting a light weight laminated wood stock for my Odd-6 from Chris at MCR.

I'm do a PRS rifle so it will cost me a little extra with the drop hand guard and longer fore-arm,,, but they can make anything you like since they have lots of ideas.

Let him know you chatted with Don who just got his R Galloway stock for his F Class rifle.

Cheery Wood is strong and light, Chris laminated some white Maple into it for extra strength.

I might be one of the few folks Harvesting game next year with a 32" long gun. LOL.

http://www.mcrstactical.com/index.html

Don