Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2015, 04:58 PM

Default Where to buy pesos?

Should a guy do it the old fashioned way at my bank or wait till we are in Mexico?
Is there much of a difference if I wait?

Any insight on this would be nice.

Also, what to do in the Mayan?
Trips, excursions.
Thoughts.. Thanks.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 12-23-2015, 05:00 PM

Best bet is to take $US for much of your transactions.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:02 PM

Default Calforex

We've had good luck with Calforex @WEM or southgate mall. Better rate than the bank, and they might actually have the stuff on hand!
Old 12-23-2015, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Hippy View Post
We've had good luck with Calforex @WEM or southgate mall. Better rate than the bank, and they might actually have the stuff on hand!
X2
Old 12-23-2015, 05:05 PM

Use USD. If ya need some pesos just get them from the cash machine there. This is usually your best bet when travelling.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Should a guy do it the old fashioned way at my bank or wait till we are in Mexico?
Is there much of a difference if I wait?

Any insight on this would be nice.

Also, what to do in the Mayan?
Trips, excursions.
Thoughts.. Thanks.
Been several years, but I took several hundred bucks in American (get lots of 1's and 5's for tipping) and anything I bought in American I would usually get change in Pesos. Also I think the ATM exchange rates were better than here in Canada if I recall correctly. My bank card worked without drama at any ATM I used (think I only used the ones close to the resorts)

Drinking beer on the beach and drinking rum on the beach were always fun.

We went to the water park Xel-ha, which was alright, did the tubing down the river thing there and just chilling for a day.

Chichen Itza was pretty cool, not sure if they still let you climb the temple or not. They were talking about dis-allowing it when we were there.

On your way to Chichen Itza there was a cenote (can't remember what it was called), that the tour bus stopped at. Also pretty cool.

Coco bongo, and all the party bars in Cancun were fun if you're into the drinking and etc thing. (we got a guide for a pub crawl of sorts from our resort and he was great...we always had a table to sit at and our glasses were always full) Just me, but I wouldn't venture out drinking unless you're with a group of friends that have proven themselves to have your back if the need arises.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:10 PM

Best to find out which bank's at you're destination have partnered with in other countries. Still some withdraw fee's at Atm's, but not near the usual.
For instance, Scotiabank = Bank of America in us, Deutch Bank in Germany. There is Scotiabank in Mexico.
Call you're branch and find out whose ATM's are partnered.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:11 PM
Banned

I don't know for sure...BUT one of my employee's is headed to Mexico next week and he asked the same question.. I asked one of my buddies that has a few properties in Playa...he advised us to take PESO's...so take it for what it's worth
Old 12-23-2015, 05:14 PM

Yes...the above is true, there are Scotiabanks in Mexico and Costa Rica.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:15 PM

Don't take any USD. Just use Peso. It's actually quite difficult for a mexican national to exchange USD to peso and a real PITA. Like somebody said go to Calforex.

Check out this thread posted on here:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/searc...rchid=14760950
Old 12-23-2015, 05:15 PM

www.midpoint.com

A peer based currency exchange platform that gets you the mid market rate.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:17 PM

I think it depends on what you're planning to do. If you're staying at an all inclusive and intend to take in the services associated with the resort ("local shopping", huts nearby, excursions, etc.) use $US. If you want to blend in and partake in true local shopping you're probably better off with pesos.

Places that cater to tourists use $US, those that cater to locals use pesos has been my experience.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Been several years, but I took several hundred bucks in American (get lots of 1's and 5's for tipping) and anything I bought in American I would usually get change in Pesos. Also I think the ATM exchange rates were better than here in Canada if I recall correctly. My bank card worked without drama at any ATM I used (think I only used the ones close to the resorts)

Drinking beer on the beach and drinking rum on the beach were always fun.
x2

I've always found the best rates while in Mexico. Just use any ATM, but if your bank has a Mexican counterpart then the fee might be a bit cheaper.

Bringing down small denominations in US$ is always good as well. I usually pay for my fishing trips with US$ but everything else pretty much is in pesos.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:29 PM

Playa del Carmen is nice, remember though its gang territory so be on your best behavior. Don't go anywhere alone especially ladies. 5th ave in playa has lots of shops and is cool to walk down. You will also be offered more cocaine in 30 steps than you can imagine. Xel-Ha is a very fun way to spend the day for about $70 a head USD.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:14 PM

I would strongly advise against using an ATM in mexico.

It was recently reported over 20% of the ATM's at/near Mexican resorts have been compromised (via card reader - bluetooth skimmer devices).

If you like those odds ...... have at er' ...... I would just get some Pesos at the Mall Cash Exchange Place or Bank and use cash for all transactions.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/09/t...ang-in-mexico/

Just some friendly advice.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdub View Post
x2

I've always found the best rates while in Mexico. Just use any ATM, but if your bank has a Mexican counterpart then the fee might be a bit cheaper.

Bringing down small denominations in US$ is always good as well. I usually pay for my fishing trips with US$ but everything else pretty much is in pesos.
I do the same but at banks only.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:54 PM

Get the pecos in Mexico. Also try to get to the bull fights and go south to see the pyramids.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:02 PM

I have always found I get the best bang for my buck with pesos, I am heading back to Akumal beginning of January. With the Canadian dollar where it's at I wouldn't be exchanging much into US funds, the peso usually floats right around 12 to 1 pretty consistently. Neither way is wrong, I just prefer pesos, plus it makes you feel rich with that big wad when you convert it haha.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:05 PM

Ive always taken pesos, and we got them from our local branch here. Your going to Mexico so might as well take Mexican money.

As for tours, I Highly recommend Chitzen Itza. We have done both Tulum and Chitzen Itza, and while both were interesting, Chitzen Itza was much better. When I was there a couple years ago you could no longer climb the pyramid.

Exactly where are you going? The jungle boat tour in Cancun was fun, 5th ave in Playa del Carmen is ok, but it is becoming really americanized IMO. Cozumel is nice too. Also Puerto Morelos has a more laid back atmosphere.

Have a good trip!!!
Old 12-23-2015, 07:06 PM

If I carry Canadian cash can I just go into a bank and exchange?

I wouldn't know how to use a card..

We booked the Grand Bahia Princepe in Tulum.

The $10 deposit every night sure added up fast. Financed our trip pretty easy.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 12-23-2015, 08:38 PM

The grand Bahia Príncipe is actually only about 5-10 minutes from Akumal, Tulum is just the name of the section you are in. Tulum ruins are about 20 minutes and Tulum is about 25-30. Definitely head into Akumal and do some snorkelling to see the turtles. If you want to save some money instead of taking cabs you can take colectivos that run up and down the highway for cheap, they are air conditioned white vans. You just need to be on the proper side of the highway for whatever direction you wanna go. You basically just stand beside the road and they will flash their lights at you if there is room, you just wave at them and they pull over, hop in and tell them where you are going. They do not always go all the way in to some places but will get you very close and for a fraction of a cab.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:41 PM

It's been a long time but when I was there we went to a night show that was amazing. I think it was at Xel-ha. Maybe someone can confirm. The show had 200 + performers telling the history of the Mayans from before the Spanish came to present & also included a game of fireball. Chichen Itza was well worth the trip as well.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:46 PM

If you use calforex to do your exchange- whatever your home branch bank is tell them you need a waiver and you are using calforex. They usually stamp their business card and you'll save the $6.

Have fun!!
Old 12-23-2015, 08:50 PM

USD for sure.
Remember to order $1 bills - tip well early for great service.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatguy View Post
It's been a long time but when I was there we went to a night show that was amazing. I think it was at Xel-ha. Maybe someone can confirm. The show had 200 + performers telling the history of the Mayans from before the Spanish came to present & also included a game of fireball. Chichen Itza was well worth the trip as well.
Xcaret I bet!
Old 12-23-2015, 10:04 PM

Huh?!

Tell your bank or tell Calforex?

Please explain.

Thanks

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosman177 View Post
If you use calforex to do your exchange- whatever your home branch bank is tell them you need a waiver and you are using calforex. They usually stamp their business card and you'll save the $6.

Have fun!!

-Confucius
Old 12-23-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyPed View Post
USD for sure.
Remember to order $1 bills - tip well early for great service.
Why wouldn't you use Mexican currency when you're in Mexico? If you were a waiter in Canada would you want a USD tip and then have to stand in line at the bank to exchange the $1 bill? Just tip the mexican local, the equivalent of USD in peso. If you want to give him $1 USD, just give him about $15 MXN. Saves you having to get USD and saves him having to go to the bank to exchange the USD back to MXN.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:44 PM

Uberfly

When i am at my bank (atb/td really doesn't matter) getting $cad out to transfer over to $usd/other foreign funds- I let them know I am going to calforex. They recognize this as a referral and depending on branch have a waiver fee card for calforex (especially if it's in a mall like Chinook where a calforex is) if they don't have one, I have them write on branch business card please waive fee and stamp it with there branch stamp/initial.

Just ask next time at the bank. I've been doing this for years- your there anyway to get the $cad to go to calforex. Your not being a cheap skate it adds up and there is no hidden fees or let downs. Calforex has always accepted these- let the teller behind glass know from get go You have a waive fee card from whatever bank you use and they will adjust and you will save
Old 12-23-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Uberfly

When i am at my bank (atb/td really doesn't matter) getting $cad out to transfer over to $usd/other foreign funds- I let them know I am going to calforex. They recognize this as a referral and depending on branch have a waiver fee card for calforex (especially if it's in a mall like Chinook where a calforex is) if they don't have one, I have them write on branch business card please waive fee and stamp it with there branch stamp/initial.

Just ask next time at the bank. I've been doing this for years- your there anyway to get the $cad to go to calforex. Your not being a cheap skate it adds up and there is no hidden fees or let downs. Calforex has always accepted these- let the teller behind glass know from get go You have a waive fee card from whatever bank you use and they will adjust and you will save
Do you know off hand what the fee is or is based on the amount?
Old 12-23-2015, 11:11 PM

Thank you! I'll give it a try!

P

Quote:
Uberfly

-Confucius