Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-09-2019, 07:39 AM

Question Gun appraisal question...

The Hublet is pondering selling his custom made Remington 7mm. It is a very special firearm, made for him by some happy clients by Remington Arms when he was outfitting. I am looking for suggestions for a reputable gun person/gunsmith to offer an opinion of value, as we know it is worth quite a bit, and he will not sell it to just anyone. It does need to go to someone who will hopefully use it, and treasure it. We are living in Pincher Creek. So, any recommendations will be appreciated.

Note: I had posted this in the buy/sell in error, sorry!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 11-09-2019, 09:40 AM

The sad reality is, if it's a custom made rifle, it will seldom carry forward the cost of the customization. Because if somebody wants to pay for a custom built rifle they usually go get one built to their specifications.

Sure you can hold out for that one individual that’ll pay somewhat close to its sticker price, but it needs to be weighed against the timeline it’ll take for that person to surface.

In no way am I dissuading you against selling it, I’m just trying to bring your high expectations more towards the reality.

Best of luck.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-09-2019, 09:42 AM

If you post the model and some pictures, there are people on this forum that may have a good idea of the value. There are specific firearms out of the Remington Custom Shop that have increased in value considerably, but most haven't, and many are worth significantly less, especially if they have been used and show wear or marks.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:38 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
The Hublet is pondering selling his custom made Remington 7mm. It is a very special firearm, made for him by some happy clients by Remington Arms when he was outfitting. I am looking for suggestions for a reputable gun person/gunsmith to offer an opinion of value, as we know it is worth quite a bit, and he will not sell it to just anyone. It does need to go to someone who will hopefully use it, and treasure it. We are living in Pincher Creek. So, any recommendations will be appreciated.

Note: I had posted this in the buy/sell in error, sorry!
Unless you hubby is a big name celebrity the best you can hope for is that someone who knows him wants it because of their shared history and has the money and incentive to pay more then market value for it.

On the open market it will be valued at less then stock rifles of the same model in the same condition.

Assuming that he is not a well known celebrity, your best bet may be to spread the word among people you know that he is considering selling his favorite rifle.

Gun values can be a tricky thing. I find that guns that I thought were worth a good amount were worth far less then I thought and guns I thought were worth no more then others of the same style and vintage were worth considerably more.

I have two rifles with shockingly high values for what they are, because they were first of their kind and no longer in production.

Always always condition is everything. Next comes the history of that firearm, then quality of manufacture along with the reputation of that particular model followed by cartridge chambering if it's a rare or first chambering.

With your rifle the history is where the value is and then only for those who were part of that history unless it belonged to a celebrity.

Customization's are such a personal thing that you only get top dollar if you can find someone who wants those particular customization's.
The chances of that happening are not good.

I wish I could tell you it's worth a million bucks which I expect it is to you, but on the open market it is not likely to be worth anywhere near it's sentimental value.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the feed back. No, he is not a celebrity and his expectations are not out of this world. As it was a gift, he had no idea what these guys spent on it, which is why he is looking for a gun expert to give him an idea. All I know is the guys had the president of Remington Arms on the phone with hubby to discuss the partiklers, which he thought was pretty cool at the time. Most likely, once we get a good idea, we will ask some friends who are hunting buffs if they are interested or know of someone. Just need a start point.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 11-09-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feed back. No, he is not a celebrity and his expectations are not out of this world. As it was a gift, he had no idea what these guys spent on it, which is why he is looking for a gun expert to give him an idea. All I know is the guys had the president of Remington Arms on the phone with hubby to discuss the partiklers, which he thought was pretty cool at the time. Most likely, once we get a good idea, we will ask some friends who are hunting buffs if they are interested or know of someone. Just need a start point.
Most likely worth the same as a used remington with similar trim. Most custom parts won't increase the re-sale value.
Only way to know for sure is post pics and any specific details you know about it
Old 11-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
That is a cool story and if I were in the market for such a rifle it would be worth more to me, But I am not an expert on gun values.

I have an interest in guns and have learned some about their values but could not in good conscience give you even a wild guess even if I had it in hand.

Maybe take it to someone who purchases a lot of used guns. Like maybe one of the vendors at a big gun show. Keep in mind that whatever they offer will be less then what they think they can sell it for.

Or ask about it on gunnutz. There are lot more guys there that know such things then you'll find here. We are more the average Joe hunter then a bunch of gun enthusiasts.

Adding photos would help a lot. And the history of course.
Year of manufacture and model number is important too.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 11:49 AM

It sounds like a Remington custom shop affair. I’m close and could look at it if you want. Just PM me.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-09-2019, 11:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It sounds like a Remington custom shop affair. I’m close and could look at it if you want. Just PM me.
There you go. One of the best here for such advice.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2019, 12:25 PM

As mentioned it may not any more than a standard rifle and perhaps quite a bit less. Many treasure the rifles and shotguns made for DU for example and expect premium dollars but are most often disappointed.

Having said that there are some very definite howevers to consider. You mention 7mm. The 7mm Rem Mag or the Ultra are not the flavours of the month anymore but a custom built 700 or Model 7 in 7-08 would certainly garner some attention.

If it had the high grade wood with real rose wood inserts the value would increase IF this wood was pristine. I have seen some pictures of rifles out of the custom shop to drool over.

Add to that some special metal engraving that is not unique to the owner and again is perfect and there could be more value added.

Then of course there is the right buyer. I would pay a bit more for a 7mm Express from the custom shop, if it had very nice wood and was proven accurate. This one is pretty cool although maybe slightly over the top. https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101113845
Old 11-09-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Yes, I think that is what it was. I PMd you. Thanks so much!

Old 11-09-2019, 12:57 PM

MK just pointed out the issue; he thinks that firearm he liked to is nice, but I dont, I like a more traditional walnut, simpler design etc.. Its just personal taste. Just saying! So a lot of your value will be in the eye of the beholder. At the end of the day its really only worth what someone will pay for it.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:14 PM

I recommend Prophet River, as a consignment reseller of higher grade firearms, based on several friend's experience. I would consult Clay.
My experience with them as a buyer is also excellent.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
MK just pointed out the issue; he thinks that firearm he liked to is nice, but I dont, I like a more traditional walnut, simpler design etc.. Its just personal taste. Just saying! So a lot of your value will be in the eye of the beholder. At the end of the day its really only worth what someone will pay for it.
Hubby's is not like that at all! He is not much for fancy engraving, etc. although it has apparently a thirteen layer walnut and maple laminated stock.