Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-08-2019, 05:41 PM

Default Think I just got scammed

As the title says I think I just got scammed. The individual has other items for sale on the buy and sell. I payed via emt. On Friday last week. As agreed he would send a pic of the tracking number as soon as he shipped it. I have not recieved a tracking number or any other feed back for a few days now. He stated he was busy and will send a pic of the tracking number. That was a few days ago. I was going to give the individual to Saturday to reply and either supply the item or refund the money. It should not take 7 days to ship from calgary area to Athabasca. Your thoughts? At least if I had the tracking number it would ease my mind. Or am I just paranoid?
Old 11-08-2019, 05:52 PM

I don't think you are being paranoid, did you check his feedback before you bought?

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-08-2019, 06:20 PM

Yes I did check his feed back it wasnt high but all 100 percent from other long time members. He also gave me pics as requested.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:23 PM

You're not being paranoid. It shouldn't take more than 4 days from the farthest parts of the province. However, Canada Post can unintentionally introduce unnecessary stress by misdirecting packages or worse looping the parcel between 2 sorting facilities.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:25 PM

I agree canada post can be a mess. The biggest thing is he has ghosted me since Wednesday and has not followed through with the tracking receipt.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:34 PM

Default Scam

I’d you look at his profile to see if he has been online since then?
Old 11-08-2019, 06:37 PM

Yes he was on line at 850 PM on the 6th. So why not answer me ? I'll give him till tommorow then I'll post who he is. If it's in transit fine. A simple tracking number would clear it all up. Thanks to all for the replays and PMs
Old 11-08-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
Yes he was on line at 850 PM on the 6th. So why not answer me ? I'll give him till tommorow then I'll post who he is. If it's in transit fine. A simple tracking number would clear it all up. Thanks to all for the replays and PMs
Good idea...that should get his attention!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-08-2019, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
You're not being paranoid. It shouldn't take more than 4 days from the farthest parts of the province. However, Canada Post can unintentionally introduce unnecessary stress by misdirecting packages or worse looping the parcel between 2 sorting facilities.
The seller hasn't provided any proof that Canada Post has even seen/received the package to try and misdirect it.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:48 AM

If you do get a response, I can pick it up for you and make sure it gets sent.
WDF
Old 11-09-2019, 04:55 PM

Thank you very much. I will try and phone him one more time after supper. I hope he hasn't been in the hospital or something bad. I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. But that's fast losing its appeal. On a positive note my 6 year old was with me when we harvested a massive dry doe. She ran off the side of the Athabasca ruger valley....fun times.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:02 PM

Default meat---

Quote:
Thank you very much. I will try and phone him one more time after supper. I hope he hasn't been in the hospital or something bad. I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. But that's fast losing its appeal. On a positive note my 6 year old was with me when we harvested a massive dry doe. She ran off the side of the Athabasca ruger valley....fun times.
Yes boy,meat in the freezer--still lots of time to hook up with a big boy.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:32 AM

Thanks for all the replys and responses. But it is evident this guy did not send the item and has not responded to me in the last 4 days. Looks like I was scammed. His Ao name is Brad8210. He still has 2 more firearms and a quad for sale on here. I guess it's a lesson of buyer beware I have bought lots on here without issue. Leaves a $#÷/ feeling other outdoorsman would rip guys off. If some kind of extenuating circumstance has happened? But I doubt it. Take care out there and be safe this fall.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replys and responses. But it is evident this guy did not send the item and has not responded to me in the last 4 days. Looks like I was scammed. His Ao name is Brad8210. He still has 2 more firearms and a quad for sale on here. I guess it's a lesson of buyer beware I have bought lots on here without issue. Leaves a $#÷/ feeling other outdoorsman would rip guys off. If some kind of extenuating circumstance has happened? But I doubt it. Take care out there and be safe this fall.
Search his name on here there are a few threads where other members may know him or how to reach him. I resurrected one in the general section.

LC
Old 11-10-2019, 08:00 AM

Seems like a pretty elaborate scheme posing as a helpful farmer since 2011 to scam you out of a couple of hundred dollars. You would think he would go for a larger score.

He hasn't been on since the 6th and may have been called out to work or dealing with some kind of emergency.

The lack of communication sucks but from a little reading he seems like a legitimate member. I hope it all works out well and is just a misunderstanding.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:33 AM

If he’s been on for years and such, I’m sure he’ll pull through on his end. Likely some kind of emergency came up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLRBlackLabel View Post
If he’s been on for years and such, I’m sure he’ll pull through on his end. Likely some kind of emergency came up.

Communication is key.

I got upset once when I felt shipment did not happen as fast as it should have. Turned out the seller had been rear ended and was briefly hospitalized. It would have been nice if he had communicated he had been injured, but he may not have been able to or it may not have been his number one priority.

Bottom line I eventually received the pistol, it just took 10-12 days for shipping due to the accident.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:00 PM

I had sold a barrel here a couple weeks ago, but ended up taking an extra week to get it sent out to the buyer due a to workplace accident & subsequent hospitalization/surgery.

The buyer contacted me to ask about the delay, but I did respond to explain only because I was able to and I felt guilty for not being able to get to the Post Office.

Took an extra 4-5 days to mail it to him.

YMMV

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 11-10-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:27 PM

A tracking number would settle everything. And don't put it past Canada Post to screw up. I recently sent a package from Edmonton to Lethbridge and Canada Post decided it needed to be transported through the Surrey, BC to get to Lethbridge. And I paid more to have it shipped in 2 days. Took 6 or 7 days. I sent the buyer the tracking number so he knew it wasn't my mistake.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-10-2019, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
A tracking number would settle everything. And don't put it past Canada Post to screw up. I recently sent a package from Edmonton to Lethbridge and Canada Post decided it needed to be transported through the Surrey, BC to get to Lethbridge. And I paid more to have it shipped in 2 days. Took 6 or 7 days. I sent the buyer the tracking number so he knew it wasn't my mistake.
There is a form to fill out to refund your shipping charges if the item doesn’t show on time.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
There is a form to fill out to refund your shipping charges if the item doesn’t show on time.
Wish I knew that then. If I need something to get somewhere promptly I now use a courier. I have since sent a larger item across the province with a courier and it only took 14 hours to get to the buyer and it was cheaper than Canada Post.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-10-2019, 04:40 PM

Default Like Red Bullets

I sold a fine 20 gauge double to a good member here in Edmonton. Gave him the tracking number and we both watched as the shotgun went from Calgary to sorting plant in Vancouver and finally Edmonton in 10 or 11 days.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:35 PM

Default That's nothing

A buddy bought a 1911 from P+D in Edmonton the residence address is not the same as the post office where the mail is picked up .The pistol traveled all over Alberta and back to P+D twice before some bright bunny figured it out.A salesman in the store had screwed the address up.About 3-4 weeks round trip you could've walked there in 3 days.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:18 PM

That is one of the big advantages to selling on this forum. There is a lot less chance of being scammed if you are dealing with one of the long term members.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
That is one of the big advantages to selling on this forum. There is a lot less chance of being scammed if you are dealing with one of the long term members.

I don't get where you're coming from. Isn't the OP saying he was scammed by a member of this forum???
Old 11-10-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Huh ?
Old 11-12-2019, 10:17 AM

Your probably fine, 7 working days, or 7 days (which is only 5 working days).

Some folks have enough easy transactions that they are kinda slack about stuff, like shipping the day of the sale or sending a snapshot of the tracking number right away.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Good morning I have sent him a couple more messages via PM and text. He has not been on ao since the 6th. The item has not showed up yet. Sooo either he has had an emergency/ etc. Or I got scammed. He told me he shipped it on the 1st of November. I wont be holding my breath. On a positive note my 8 year old daughter and I went out and did a successful sneak on a small buck by using the wind and coming in the back side of the field via a cutline. I gave her the choice and she said hes to small dad let him live. We were cold and smiling when we got back to the truck. She already realizes it's not all about pulling the trigger but the time with family out doors that's important.
Always gotta look at the bright side.
Have a safe fall folks
Old 11-12-2019, 11:24 AM

Saw the feedback... A little quick on the draw, I think.

I don't get the feeling that he's scamming, just not a super active AO member.

Hope you get it soon.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 11-12-2019, 12:11 PM

I may have been a little quick on the draw but I have his cell number and he has not responded in over a week. Iam hoping hes in the bush killing deer and we can sort it out when he responds.