Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-06-2019, 11:02 AM

Default Hornady SST slugs 12 gauge

Has anyone had experience with using these specific
sabot slugs? My point of aim is not even close to point of impact at 50 yards. I tried it with the scope then again with just the open sighs. I m using the factory rifled barrel on my slug gun.
Any experience with these would be appreciated!
Many thanks!

Outdoorguy
Old 11-06-2019, 03:02 PM

Are they consistent?
Old 11-08-2019, 05:12 AM

Pretty much all left and low... barrel looks fine inside... shot it off
sandbags and then a lead sled but can’t get anywhere close to the center
of target.. I thought these sst were supposed to be one of the
most accurate slugs out there.. even the groups where they impact are
not great, I wouldn’t even really call them a grouping.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:00 AM

Have you tried some slugs that you know the gun shoots well? Just to make sure nothing happened to your set up?

Maybe the sst just won’t shoot well in your gun.
Not much experience on slugs but regards to ammo , I have a 308 that shoots 180 corlokts into a 5 gallon Pail cover if lucky at 100 yards. ... so weird. The 180 powerpoints shoot 2.5” group and the preferred weight is 165 grains. That gun shoots many 165 -168 grain offerings at 1-1.5” groups.

So I’d suggest trying an old faithful ammo you are used to and confirm the gun still groups well.
If known ammunition shoots well then get rid of the Hornady and don’t look back.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:28 AM

I've had GREAT accuracy with my Mossberg 835 Slug Barrel. I don't have a pic any more, but at 50yards I was shooting under 2" groups. The Remington Core Loks were like 4" groups. Wasn't happy with them.... Thats open sights, no scope...
Old 11-08-2019, 09:29 PM

I shot a lot of different brands of slugs when I last had a 212 cow elk tag. I chose the Hornady. I contacted Hornady and they confirmed that they are tough enough for cow elk.

Unfortunately, the elk did not cooperate.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:24 PM

Default Sabot slugs

I really never did like the sabot.The regular 1oz slug-is devastating at short range.Ideal for Black bear from a tree stand--As a hunting guide I helped skin many--When hit in the shoulder they dropped .The damage,amazeing.A rifled barrel 12ga with one oz slugs,and red dot scope.The perfect short range weapon.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
I really never did like the sabot.The regular 1oz slug-is devastating at short range.Ideal for Black bear from a tree stand--As a hunting guide I helped skin many--When hit in the shoulder they dropped .The damage,amazeing.A rifled barrel 12ga with one oz slugs,and red dot scope.The perfect short range weapon.
You're comparing apples and oranges. Shortrange bear defence compared to hunting for deer or elk.

For bear defence, you are right, no sabot required. For that matter, the rifled barrel has no real effect inside 50 yds. Save your money.

For hunting ungulates, the sabot allows for more aerodynamic projectiles at a higher velocity that extends the effective range of a shotgun when used with a rifled barrel or rifled choke tube. For this purpose, a low powered scope works better than a red dot scope.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:43 AM

Default slugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
You're comparing apples and oranges. Shortrange bear defence compared to hunting for deer or elk.

For bear defence, you are right, no sabot required. For that matter, the rifled barrel has no real effect inside 50 yds. Save your money.

For hunting ungulates, the sabot allows for more aerodynamic projectiles at a higher velocity that extends the effective range of a shotgun when used with a rifled barrel or rifled choke tube. For this purpose, a low powered scope works better than a red dot scope.
The 12 ga slug,with rifle barrel,is actually quite effective,out to 100m.as per usual,practice,and knowing the limitation.Blasting away at long range,never a good idea--you have the unwanted wounding.It come down to the skill of the hunter--Speaking from experience,17 moose were harvested with rifled slugs.woundings a rarity.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:00 AM

On deer I will regularly take them at 180 yards with my H & R slug gun. Fixed 4x scope.

Never gone more then 20 yards.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
The 12 ga slug,with rifle barrel,is actually quite effective,out to 100m.as per usual,practice,and knowing the limitation.Blasting away at long range,never a good idea--you have the unwanted wounding.It come down to the skill of the hunter--Speaking from experience,17 moose were harvested with rifled slugs.woundings a rarity.
Hi Coyoteman:

I'm wondering if the moose were killed with the Foster type slug or something else like Brenneke or Challenger. I've heard so many conflicting opinions on the Foster type. I've never shot a moose with any kind of slug but on paper they should be good.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:38 PM

Default here u go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD6ZBruKXGI
Old 11-11-2019, 04:17 PM

Thanks, Pioneer 2, for the interesting video. It really makes me wonder why so many people don't think 20 gauge sabots/slugs are good for much.

However, I still don't know about Foster slugs.