Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-13-2012, 01:01 PM

Default plucking ducks and geese

WHat is the easiest way to pluck ducks and geese and is there anything they makes it easier
Thanks for all the help
Old 09-13-2012, 01:06 PM

I usually skin them, never took much to the whole plucking thing.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:32 PM

Default a plucker

If you can find a chicken plucker if not there has to be directions on the net to make one really easy if you can find some soft rubber pm me for more details
Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 PM

we use to stop at a nearby hutterite colony and they would do them for $1.00 a bird. That was many years ago, don't know if they would still do it, as I don't hunt anymore, but at the time it saved us the headache. To this day, some of the guys we met are still friends as we stop in every now and then just to say hi.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
we use to stop at a nearby hutterite colony and they would do them for $1.00 a bird. That was many years ago, don't know if they would still do it, as I don't hunt anymore, but at the time it saved us the headache. To this day, some of the guys we met are still friends as we stop in every now and then just to say hi.

Yup, take them to the Hutts. Don't think they are $1 a bird anymore.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Some things are not easy. Some are not worth doing. YOu have to decide.

The Hutterites will do them , but I guarantee it won't be for a buck or two. Closer to 6 or 7 bucks a bird.

I like to pluck a few that I will roast whole. It is strictly for appearance.

If it appears to be a young bird, I'll pluck it shortly after shooting it. It is important you get those two operations in the proper sequence.

I pick the birds with no broken wings or legs and minimal physical damage. I rough pluck and gut them. Stuff with paper towels. when I get home I boil some water and add some blocks of parafin wax from the 'canning' section of the supermarket.
Be sure the container is big enough to submerge the bird in. I use a blue enamel canner that I got from a junk sale. The water should be just below boiling temp, the wax melted. YOu'll also need a basin or similar with some ice water. Leave the towels in the bird.
Hold by a wing tip or foot and dip slowly under the wax. As you draw the bird out the wax will stick. Into the cold water. Repeat until the bird has a wax coating the thickness of an orange peel at least. Less than this and you'll have a mess.

When i is completely cooled, it will peel like an orange and all the down and pin feathers will come off with the wax, leaving the bird very clean. Pull the paper towel and wash well and you're good to go.

Toss the used wax back into the pot. Bring to a boil and let cool. Feathers will sink to the bottom and the wax will float to the top and harden for use next time.

Takes loner to type the method than to do it. Make sure you have lots of wax on the bird. A goose will take two packs of parafin.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

The Hutterites will do them , but I guarantee it won't be for a buck or two. Closer to 6 or 7 bucks a bird.

If it appears to be a young bird, I'll pluck it shortly after shooting it. It is important you get those two operations in the proper sequence.

I pick the birds with no broken wings or legs and minimal physical damage. I rough pluck and gut them. Stuff with paper towels. when I get home I boil some water and add some blocks of parafin wax from the 'canning' section of the supermarket.
Be sure the container is big enough to submerge the bird in. I use a blue enamel canner that I got from a junk sale. The water should be just below boiling temp, the wax melted. YOu'll also need a basin or similar with some ice water. Leave the towels in the bird.
Hold by a wing tip or foot and dip slowly under the wax. As you draw the bird out the wax will stick. Into the cold water. Repeat until the bird has a wax coating the thickness of an orange peel at least. Less than this and you'll have a mess.

When i is completely cooled, it will peel like an orange and all the down and pin feathers will come off with the wax, leaving the bird very clean. Pull the paper towel and wash well and you're good to go.

Toss the used wax back into the pot. Bring to a boil and let cool. Feathers will sink to the bottom and the wax will float to the top and harden for use next time.

Takes loner to type the method than to do it. Make sure you have lots of wax on the bird. A goose will take two packs of parafin.
Thanks Redfrog. This is very good info.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:21 PM

Default Dang

I just bought an electric plucker but I think I should have sent all mine to the Redfrog colony!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
I just bought an electric plucker but I think I should have sent all mine to the Redfrog colony!

I've tried those plucking things and never got good results on migratorys. Upland may work better, but if I'm gonna pluck uplands. I just do it when I shoot them. It only takes a few minutes. I like to field dress all my birds when i shoot them. Lots of cleanup with them too.

I don't care for the the marinade that comes from shot intestines. I've seen ducks sit uncleaned all day and then the shooter complains because they are gamey. Just hook the guts out and stuff with a paper towel if you don't want to pluck or skin till later.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:54 PM

I have cleaned and processed waterfowl for many years for hunters in the fall. I have not once used wax on them at all. It is all done my own hands which do tend to ache now and again after the 1, 000's of birds that I have processed over the years.

I don't use an electric plucker at all...just my own two hands. Yeah, it's a hard job, but somebody's got to do it. I pluck them to my best ability..and I am quite fussy at times, then I singe the remaining hair and fluff off and gut them and wash them up. I have had many people amazed at the job I do, and I'm not bragging either. They are oven ready

I find ducks usually the easiest to pluck, with Greater Canada's being hardest of them all. In all the cleaning of birds that I have done, I plucked one and only one Sandhill Crane...it was easy peasy!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin' View Post
I have cleaned and processed waterfowl for many years for hunters in the fall. I have not once used wax on them at all. It is all done my own hands which do tend to ache now and again after the 1, 000's of birds that I have processed over the years.

I don't use an electric plucker at all...just my own two hands. Yeah, it's a hard job, but somebody's got to do it. I pluck them to my best ability..and I am quite fussy at times, then I singe the remaining hair and fluff off and gut them and wash them up. I have had many people amazed at the job I do, and I'm not bragging either. They are oven ready

I find ducks usually the easiest to pluck, with Greater Canada's being hardest of them all. In all the cleaning of birds that I have done, I plucked one and only one Sandhill Crane...it was easy peasy!

You got me sold. Where are you and how much?

Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 PM

Southern Saskatchewan at the moment ... but maybe I should come out for the season since business has dropped off here the last few years lol
Old 09-14-2012, 12:09 AM

I have done all the ways listed and now i just breast them and cut in half as steak and bread mmmmm Good.. or bake

very fast ,,,more time for socializing

David
Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 AM

Laughing my azz off right now. Maybe it's my plucking sense of humor, or that I couldn't give a pluck about upland birds.

Now that I have planted the seed, read the thread again!!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 AM

Default Pluck holding the neck

for years I would pluck with the birds feet facing me pulling against the direction of the feathers...

Old timer that I took out showed me that if you hold the neck and pluck with the feather pointing away from you (I'm not sure if Im explaining this right) then you get more pin feathers and little down coming off.... less to torch.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-14-2012, 08:50 AM

Iron the geese with a steam iron. Wet a tea towel or similar towel and iron it dry. Pluck the area you steam and do another area. Can't do it all at once so do it in stages. Its more time consuming but it works. Oh yeah, Don't use the good ladys favorite iron or be prepared to buy her a new one. Garage sales, auctions are a good source for old irons.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Laughing my azz off right now. Maybe it's my plucking sense of humor, or that I couldn't give a pluck about upland birds.

Now that I have planted the seed, read the thread again!!
I've processed very few upland birds...usually canadas, snows and ducks...and I guess it just takes practice

I've never had any help plucking any birds that I do and when there's a hundred or more birds waiting to be done, the task can be daunting...
Old 09-14-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks Red. I may just try that one. So after you did this would you hook up the team to the wagon and take some birds into town to sell at the saloon?

Seriously, I usually skin mine to avoid the process, but I think that makes for a more dried out bird when cooked.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Gone Hunting

"Thanks Red. I may just try that one. So after you did this would you hook up the team to the wagon and take some birds into town to sell at the saloon? "

I see you've been reading my mail again.

I don't do a lot of plucking at my age, but when I do, I like to have it done right. I just pluck the birds that are in very good shape. I like the look of them when they are plucked.

If I get cripples or damaged birds I use my new bird cleaner that I got from Ken. It fits into the hitch receiver. Once you get a little practice it works great.

Bird breasts get the jerky treatment or are ground. I also use the pressure cooker a lot. Ducks, rabbits, grouse in the pressure cooker, make a great wild stew.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:

If I get cripples or damaged birds I use my new bird cleaner that I got from Ken. It fits into the hitch receiver. Once you get a little practice it works great.

I've seen that 'cleaner' that fits onto the hitch receiver and I've seen it in use as well and I've gotta say that I would never use it. I don't think it's any faster & definitely not any cleaner than I how I do it.
Good Luck with it though...
Old 09-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Gone Hunting

I agree but you aren't ever around.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:08 PM

Haha...geez...can't please everyone it seems...lol
Maybe I need to go on the road with this
Old 09-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Gone Hunting

There's likely enough bird hunters in this area to make it worth while.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer king View Post
WHat is the easiest way to pluck ducks and geese and is there anything they makes it easier
Thanks for all the help
That's easy, wait till end of October before shooting your birds. I used to pluck all our birds and that led me to not bother with early birds. Even though I don't pluck them now, the later season has won me over.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 PM

I plucked 8 or 9 ducks last weekend. Not that difficult by waxing them first, but just some mess in the garage... took me a while to clean
Old 09-15-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
That's easy, wait till end of October before shooting your birds. I used to pluck all our birds and that led me to not bother with early birds. Even though I don't pluck them now, the later season has won me over.
Early birds tend to be fairly skinny with little to no fat on them and 'pinnier' as well. These pins tend to stay mostly under the skin and show up like 'black threads' and usually unless you skin the bird, they will stay there too.