Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-17-2009, 09:50 AM

Default Fishing in West Nose Creek Park (Calgary)

I live very close to West Nose Creek Park, in Calgary's north. I never see anyone fishing there, but I'm sure there must be something in there.

JTS1's map has no spots indicated along the creek. Does anyone have any idea what might be in here, and if it is worth fishing?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:44 AM

Maybe minnows but that's it, the water is too warm for most species. I used to live in North Haven and would bike along Nose Creek down to the Bow to fish and never saw anything in there. That was many years ago when Beddington was the most northernly suburb and nose creek was more wild and natural.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:55 AM

I've never seen anything in West Nose Creek while walking past it, either.

It seems that Nose Creek is a "Trout Unlimited Canada" rehabilitation project (http://www.tucanada.org/NP_NoseCreek.shtml). There must be something significant about it . . . but that could be farther north.

Area Map: http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/.../west_nose.pdf

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:06 AM

If it is the same Nose creek that runs through the Calgary Elks golf course, then I can tell you (with certainty) there are suckers in it. We have seen Osprey catching and eating some of these as well as the odd dead one lying by the shore on the golf course. Not a dead water, but pretty close....
Old 09-17-2009, 12:00 PM

As suckers don't have a place on my "fun to catch" list . . . I think I'll skip it

Old 09-17-2009, 12:03 PM

I run my dog along Nose Creek at Laycock Park quite often and never seen any fish activity. Just as easy to drive the ten minutes to hit anywhere on the Bow. For small creek fishing headed northwest of town...
Old 06-30-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I live very close to West Nose Creek Park, in Calgary's north. I never see anyone fishing there, but I'm sure there must be something in there.

JTS1's map has no spots indicated along the creek. Does anyone have any idea what might be in here, and if it is worth fishing?
iv tryed fishing the east part but i havent had any luck. i have seen some trout but nothing bigger the 8 to 10 cm
Old 06-30-2011, 06:41 PM

my dad was one of the crew that bult the golf that nose creek runs through and he said way back when there were large trout up to 30cm but with all the garbage and people the big ones died off
Old 07-01-2011, 10:26 AM

I walked around the west nose creek from Centre St all the way until it runs into the railway tracks and the highway. i saw absolutely nothing but cold, dead water (though this was a few months ago, before spring melt). I saw a trail going under the railway, and it seems like on google maps, that's where the west nose creek joins the main nose creek. I might try it with a fly some day, but I doubt there's anything... haven't even seen a sucker...
Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by araret View Post
I walked around the west nose creek from Centre St all the way until it runs into the railway tracks and the highway. i saw absolutely nothing but cold, dead water (though this was a few months ago, before spring melt). I saw a trail going under the railway, and it seems like on google maps, that's where the west nose creek joins the main nose creek. I might try it with a fly some day, but I doubt there's anything... haven't even seen a sucker...
i have seen fish there where the two meet right where it gets slow and clear, but i must warn you there are TONES OF SNAKES
Old 07-01-2011, 01:15 PM

Ohh snakes... probably just wild garter snakes or things like that, but good to hear that there are fish around the confluence though.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:58 PM

there just garter but they like to bite if you get to close to there nest
Old 07-01-2011, 05:00 PM

There are tons of suckers. Wud see them all the time while playing golf at country hills. Never saw any trout tho, but have seen big suckers.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:14 PM

Wow! This is a very old thread!

Never bothered fishing it.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:24 PM

Default Fishing west nose creek

I walk the creek almost every evening between the Country Hills Golf course and Evanston where I see a ton of activity in the form of fish surfacing for flies etc.

Has anyone tried to fly fish any of the ponds connected to the creek?
Old 05-23-2017, 03:29 PM

Smile Nose Creek Fishing for dads!

Hi Guys.
This message board is awesome. Because of what was written on the threads, I decided to check out fishing in Nose Creek. My 8 year-old son had yet to catch any fish since we moved to Alberta. So this past Sunday we headed out there, and we fished in the Creek north of Stoney Trail. It was so fun! We each caught a large carp (relatively speaking, 12-14 inches) and then lots of minnows! So happy for my son, and we both had a beautiful father-son fishing outing. Hope this helps other Dads reading this thread. God bless.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Mike View Post
Hi Guys.
This message board is awesome. Because of what was written on the threads, I decided to check out fishing in Nose Creek. My 8 year-old son had yet to catch any fish since we moved to Alberta. So this past Sunday we headed out there, and we fished in the Creek north of Stoney Trail. It was so fun! We each caught a large carp (relatively speaking, 12-14 inches) and then lots of minnows! So happy for my son, and we both had a beautiful father-son fishing outing. Hope this helps other Dads reading this thread. God bless.
Ummmm...... I'm really glad you had a fun time and it's really great that you got your son out for a nice day. But just have a closer look at the regs next time. It's closed to angling until June 16th.

I don't mean any of that sarcastically. Everyone makes mistakes. I just don't want you ending up having to pay a huge fine for what should be a fun day out!
Old 05-23-2017, 04:04 PM

Good crawdad fishing in there. Good eatin too

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 09:46 PM

fished it as a kid and ,suckers and whitefish was the catch of the day
Old 05-26-2017, 03:30 PM

Default Thanks! Ooops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
Ummmm...... I'm really glad you had a fun time and it's really great that you got your son out for a nice day. But just have a closer look at the regs next time. It's closed to angling until June 16th.

I don't mean any of that sarcastically. Everyone makes mistakes. I just don't want you ending up having to pay a huge fine for what should be a fun day out!
Ooops. Thanks for letting me know. I find the regulations quite complicated in that book. Can you tell me where you found the info? (page,etc.) That would be helpful. Thanks again. Mike
Old 05-29-2017, 03:12 PM

ZONE 1 GENERAL REGULATIONS

STREAMS

A. For Streams listed and fish species listed under “ES1 Lake and Stream Listings” starting on this page.
You must follow the regulations stated with each listing.

B. For other ES1 Streams, and tributaries, not included under (A) and for fish species not mentioned at a listed stream.
June 16 to Aug. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.

Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout and Mountain Whitefish limit 0; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.
Nov. 1 to June 15 – CLOSED
Old 05-29-2017, 09:03 PM

I have hit several golf balls into it with no intention of hitting a fish but who knows, hopefully hitting one out of season wouldn't count as fishing.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:09 PM

are you kidding , there is carp in that creek
Old 05-30-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Mike View Post
Hi Guys.
Are you sure it was a carp not a sucker? If it was a Prussian carp f&w should be alerted
Old 05-31-2017, 04:34 PM

I have seen lots of schools of suckers in there but have not seen a prussian carp. This is where the creek flows through Country Hills golf course.