Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2017, 08:20 PM

Default Banked overtime

Anyone here work at a place that banks your overtime pay? Basically, anything over a 12 hour day gets banked, which not an issue I guess. But my issue is, when I cash it in, they only pay me straight time for my banked time and a half hours

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2017, 08:37 PM

At my work.....we could bank up to 80 hours a year. Overtime was paid as time and a half or double tie and hours where banked as such. Eg; if I worked a Sunday (double time) all hours could be banked or paid out....so 8 hours gave me 16 hours bank time....Most of the time I banked half my O/T for the pay period until my 80 hours where reached.
The hours paid out where paid at straight time so either 80 hours off or 80 hours straight time cashed out...but hours where accumulated at whatever rate they would been to the cash equivalent. eg... at 1.5 x 4 hrs O/T = 6 hrs banked or paid out hours.....at double time, 4 hours O/T = 8 hours banked or paid out.
Sorry for the lackluster explanation...feeling a little off today.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."
Old 05-28-2017, 08:42 PM

Your getting ripped off. Your trading away your overtime for regular time. That's what it boils down to.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:48 PM

At my workplace we can carry up to 40 hours of banked time.
Our OT is double time. When we bank any OT we bank hour for hour, and then get paid the other half of the double time. So say for 4 hrs OT you want to bank, you'll get 4 hours towards your bank and 4 hours paid at straight time.

There is no cap on how much bank time we can use annually, but such time must be mutually agreed upon between the worker and management, and can't result in other OT being incurred.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-28-2017, 08:53 PM

We can bank up to 120 hours. It builds up at whatever rate of overtime you worked. So if your working and banking a Friday or Saturday it banks at time and a half but if you bank you Sunday it banks at double time.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Your getting ripped off. Your trading away your overtime for regular time. That's what it boils down to.
That's kind of what I figured too. Especially since we bill out an OT rate.

My other issue is not getting paid for the August long weekend. Labor law says it's not a stat, but if your company acknowledge it adds holiday, that you should get paid for it. Much like boxing day, not an official holiday, but if your company closes for the day, u should get paid

Old 05-28-2017, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Anyone here work at a place that banks your overtime pay? Basically, anything over a 12 hour day gets banked, which not an issue I guess. But my issue is, when I cash it in, they only pay me straight time for my banked time and a half hours

........help me here, plse.

if you work 3 hrs o/t, do they put 4.5 hrs in your bank? if they do, then pay out @ straight time is what's right. same with your double o/t hours?
Old 05-28-2017, 09:23 PM

No, I put in 3.5 at time and a half, and get paid 3 regular pay

Old 05-28-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:

Sorry 3.5 regular

Old 05-28-2017, 09:44 PM
Banned

.......hmmm, that's not good
Old 05-28-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Sorry 3.5 regular

Looks like you need a union.

We would get 2 hrs banked time for every double time hour banked.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:52 PM

19 years on the trades. And the way I understand it, if you work 50 hours, 6 are overtime (44 hour work week). If you choose to bank time from that, say 10 hours, the come from your regular hours. IE: from those 50 hours, you will be payed 6 overtime hours, and 30 straight time hours. I've never hear of anywhere that bank ls OT. Always payed out on each cheque, and any banked time is regular wage
Old 05-28-2017, 10:11 PM

Some companies will let you work a bit longer per odd shift and bank the time at straight time....no 1.5 or 2 X......time for equal time.
The concept is one of flexibility.....some days you might have to spend a 1/2 hr past shift to wrap up a project/order/etc.....you then can use that time for an equivalent day you need to leave early.

New labour standards will force the extra time at OT rates.....which for some companies will mean you're getting called on to the rug for exceeding your approved shift as policy will be "NO Overtime work allowed without prior mgmt approval"" ....and NO flex in banking the few minutes per shift.

Going to mean less options and flex for employees.
Stupid interference by the NDP.....especially when they could have done some good by cleaning up the STAT day entitlement calc.....which is really stupid and abused.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Some companies will let you work a bit longer per odd shift and bank the time at straight time....no 1.5 or 2 X......time for equal time.
The concept is one of flexibility.....some days you might have to spend a 1/2 hr past shift to wrap up a project/order/etc.....you then can use that time for an equivalent day you need to leave early.

New labour standards will force the extra time at OT rates.....which for some companies will mean you're getting called on to the rug for exceeding your approved shift as policy will be "NO Overtime work allowed without prior mgmt approval"" ....and NO flex in banking the few minutes per shift.

Going to mean less options and flex for employees.
Stupid interference by the NDP.....especially when they could have done some good by cleaning up the STAT day entitlement calc.....which is really stupid and abused.
We are already there, no OT with out approval and being able to bill it out.

You ever drove 2 hours to a gas plant following those rules? He man, 8 o'clock I need a permit. Hey man, it's lunch time I gotta go, can't work more than 8 hours today. U look like an idiot

Old 05-28-2017, 10:48 PM

I am on my phone but I am pretty sure the NDP passed a law within the last two weeks with regards to banked time being set at a mandatory 1.5. Not sure when it goes into effect
Old 05-28-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferac View Post
I am on my phone but I am pretty sure the NDP passed a law within the last two weeks with regards to banked time being set at a mandatory 1.5. Not sure when it goes into effect

Looks like its needed if places are giving strait 1 to 1 overtime banking.

Overtime is overtime. Good to see NDP looking out for the working guy.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post

Looks like its needed if places are giving strait 1 to 1 overtime banking.

Overtime is overtime. Good to see NDP looking out for the working guy.
Yup exactly. I worked for one outfit that banked OT but it was seasonal so at the end of the season they just kept paying you 1 to 1 straight time till it was used up. They kept telling us it would save us money in the long run as we wouldn't lose it all to the government.....cause that's what businesses do is save employees money not themselves.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:07 AM

Are you guys referring to cashing out the OT or taking it as time off ?
In regards to the 1.5x value I mean.

TBark
Old 05-29-2017, 06:20 AM

Every time (2-3 times ?) I've banked, gotten hosed. Never do it again......
Old 05-29-2017, 06:59 AM

My OT rate can be either paid out at time and a half anything over 7.5 hours/day or banked at time and a half up to a holding of one week (37.5hrs). Only caveat is to bank any time I have to have used up my previous years holidays. I can hold a week of time in the bank and use as needed, replenish when diminished.

LC
Old 05-29-2017, 07:21 AM

We allow banking at OT value -- ie 1.5 x = 1.5 in the bank, 2x = 2 hrs in the bank. Payout is on the total number of hours in the bank and is a draw down for either time off or a request for pay out by the employee. The employee gets bank time paid at straight time rates for the full number of hours in the bank ( 2x works 8 hours = 16 in the bank to be paid out or taken off at straight time). We try to cap the max in the bank at 80 hours.

Both bank and vacation are reviewed annually with a max carry forward of 40 hours in each account.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:44 AM

a few things glossed over here...

- only accrues at 1.5 if over 44 hours per week or over 8 per day (this is not employer specific, this is in the Alberta labour law) example: If M-F you worked 8s eachday, and you worked 6hrs on a Saturday, you would only get 1.5x for 2 of those 6 hours.

- When I bank at my company, you bank the hour, and get paid out the half. not optional, just that's the way it is. Shows up on my paystub as a separate line. This one depends on the company policy
Old 05-29-2017, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:

Look here: http://work.alberta.ca/documents/Emp...ds-Toolkit.pdf

An overtime agreement is a necessity in your case. If you didn't sign one they probably owe you.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Foss View Post

- only accrues at 1.5 if over 44 hours per week or over 8 per day (this is not employer specific, this is in the Alberta labour law) example: If M-F you worked 8s eachday, and you worked 6hrs on a Saturday, you would only get 1.5x for 2 of those 6 hours.

- When I bank at my company, you bank the hour, and get paid out the half. not optional, just that's the way it is. Shows up on my paystub as a separate line. This one depends on the company policy

Further to this, if you work more than 8 hour shifts it has to be a mutual signed agreement and the 44 hr/week limit still applies, though in most agreements its calculated over two pay periods (4 weeks) to allow for shift trades between full time employees and/or longer stretches where travel time is significant.

Where I work we have a choice, half is paid and half is banked, or it's all paid out.

The OP is getting screwed. Exactly why the govt had to put these laws in place
Old 05-29-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Further to this, if you work more than 8 hour shifts it has to be a mutual signed agreement and the 44 hr/week limit still applies, though in most agreements its calculated over two pay periods (4 weeks) to allow for shift trades between full time employees and/or longer stretches where travel time is significant.

Where I work we have a choice, half is paid and half is banked, or it's all paid out.

The OP is getting screwed. Exactly why the govt had to put these laws in place
The way I read it, they are banking 1.5x overtime hours worked, and paying out straight pay on those hours, so he is still getting his time-and-a-half.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:50 PM

When we bank OT they pay [say 4 hours banked] they pay 4 hours at straight time in the pay period it was earned...and we now have 4 hours in the bank. We do have the option of cashing it in, but then they only reimburse half the time, or 2 hours pay in my example of banking 4 hours.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:54 PM

I work in IT

The company i work for allows unlimited banked time, but they start hounding you after 300 hours to start paying some of it out or take time off

you have the option to get it paid out at 1.5 rate or take it as straight time as extra days off

we start getting banked time for anything above 40 hours in a week
Old 05-29-2017, 03:56 PM

We are having a big fight with HR on our banked time as salary employees.

We run a 15 on 6 off schedule. As you work each day you accrue banked days which are then used for your days off. So you work 15 days, bank 6 but then take them so you are even. Basically for every day I work, I earn 0.4 days in my bank. We can also sell these days off at a day rate per banked day.

They imposed a cap of not being allowed to have more than 21 banked days in your bank at any time. So if you don't take much time off, you can bank them pretty quick, and once you hit 21 it stops counting. No matter how many extra days you work, you don't bank any more time.

If you start your 15 days on with more than 16.0 banked days, you end up losing compensation. We all believe this is illegal.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Foss View Post

I should add....I work from home but for some reason our company has us listed as employed in Ontario (head office is there). Maybe that's why we have a 37.5 hour work week?

LC
Old 05-29-2017, 10:37 PM

Default Sweet deal

My previous employer had a sweet deal for banked overtime basically we could bank it at 1.5 and they would give you the company credit card for whatever you wanted and they would right it off somehow the only problem they ever had was they didn't like you getting prepaid visas on the company CC but everything else was game hmm maybe that's why they went out of business luckily I darned my banked OT before they went out of business unfortunately they still owe me 10k in wages and vacation time