Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2017, 06:14 PM

Default Rock Island Report 28 May 2017

I thought that I comment on Rock Island as the reports are far and few between; for ease of reading, I will break it down into point form categories:

1. Camp site- I was the only one occupying a site (I chose site 32 as it backs onto the water and has ample parking for my truck and 17' Lund). As I spent Friday- Sunday; it gave me an opportunity to walk around and see the condition of the camp; they did receive some extensive wind from this past storm but did cleanup all fallen timber and stacked it in various places for use of firewood (ordinarily) they charge for wood. Bathrooms were clean, had toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Both hand pumps for water worked fine; although the water is not potable. Price for each night is $15, however the payment process is that you have to give them the money when they show up. As I was out fishing they simply left an envelope for me to fill in for self registration, I got back in about 2 pm and remained at my site for the evening, no one showed to collect. As I wanted to get on the water and then leave on Sunday, I placed my $30 in the envelop and pinned it to the site marker (hopefully they got it). over all I would give it a 4 out of 5.

2. Boat Launch- There are signs everywhere stating that the launch is shallow and use at your own risk (fair enough). Lots of room to back boat in and park later (which is in the day use area also). After getting my truck down the concrete pads, I had to get in the water about 1 1/2' to access the front of the trailer (no big deal). Pulled the boat in, parked the truck, pushed the boat out and started the engine in about 4' of water; average depth past that is about 6'. At the boat launch there is a fish cleaning station which has the vinyl cut board attached; again all garbage was removed and area was clear of any debris. Bathrooms are available in this area also which were clean and tidy.

3. Fishing- Fishing over all was slow ( I spoke to several people who used the day area (no one landed a fish). However I managed to land 8 Northern Pike (largest was 10 lbs) fished 0830 am- 1330 pm, those were all on Saturday morning. Fish were all healthy and caught on a smaller 3" crank bait. Water temperature was 51 F, average depth of fish caught was 5-8'. All fish were released and I did find them sluggish when holding and removing the hook. Overall the lake seemed healthy and water visibility is about 2'. Lots of wind effecting the visibility as it is a shallow lake. The islands are visible; so no issue with seeing them. Additionally the water is up about 1' which will help at the launch.

4. Miscellaneous- Fish and wildlife stopped by and chatted for about 20 min, no bears in the area and the area is fairly heavy with moisture, so good for fires. I also spoke with a gentleman who has a cabin on Calling Lake; he was telling me that nets were in during the spawn (1 per week). He watched them pull a net in front of his cabin last week loaded with Walleye. He said they were allowed one net per week during the spawn. I really wish that this wasn't allowed considering the pressure we are all under to purchase tags and release where we have to. I wonder if they monitor and know how many tag sizes are leaving that lake via net.

Hope this helps those out who are thinking of heading out!
Old 05-28-2017, 07:05 PM

Best report ever. Thx.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:25 PM

My four friends just got back. Experienced fishermen who know the lake very well. Two days - three pike - one walleye. Extremely slow.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:12 AM

On calling lake their are people are able to net year round cause they have too eat fish every day one time i saw a boat had 30 fish in it and later a bunch of dead fish floating into shore that they did not want i reported it and the warden told me this. It unfair for the rest of us to fish their