Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: What would you prefer to hunt with?
Quad 111 52.61%
Side by side 67 31.75%
Argo 8x8 27 12.80%
Argo 6x6 6 2.84%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2017, 12:47 PM

Default What would you prefer for hunting

If you were to buy a hunting vehicle. What would the best option be and what would you prefer?
A) Quad
B) Side by side
C) Argo 8x8
D) Argo 6x6
Old 05-22-2017, 12:54 PM

No option for, none?

Cuz I'd choose none.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-22-2017, 12:59 PM

I didn't vote as my option isn't listed. I had a 200 Honda big red, then an Argo 6x6, then the Argo 8x8 a 4x4 quad followed by the side by side. They all had their place. The Argo takes a lot of work. I think my fav was the quad though.

Now I hunt on foot, my preferred game is upland. I don't go as far as I used to and hunt closer to the road. Most times I come home with a bird or two and I enjoy myself more. I guess it's just the place I'm in my life today.

If you're trying to decide what to get. Go with what you can handle your mechanical abilities the terrain you'll hunt the most, and the game you want to harvest. Once you've answered these questions figure out what machine you need.

BW

Ps. Did I mention Argos are a lot of work and money?
Old 05-22-2017, 01:16 PM

pretty open question with limited choices...how many people in our wolfpack, are we elk in the mountains?, bear in the underbrush?, whitetail on a rural grain farm, moosey swamp lands, oilfeild roads or we bushwhacking? open antelope pasture in sept, summer? winter, fall, lots of snow no snow, do i have truck and flat deck trailer or winterized cabin? are we highly mobile and returning home nightly or central camp off the road, satelite camping offroad?....
does the choices have a heater

that being said, i would prefer to hunt with someone who has all of the above

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 05-22-2017, 01:41 PM

I don't like the options provided. #1 pick on foot #2 pick horseback #3 pick helicopter #4 cozy warm pickup. Last on my list is quad Side by side with a heater would be nice
Old 05-22-2017, 02:02 PM

Shanks' mare.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:13 PM

Pack Lammas
Old 05-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Banned

I like the answers given in post#3 and #4.but to participate in your poll “c”.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
No option for, none?

Cuz I'd choose none.
Horse for me.

Grizz
Old 05-22-2017, 04:54 PM

Yep, I prefer 2x2 with Vibram rubber.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:15 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Red face

The OP puts out a poll, straight forward for us simpletons yet some choose to deviate and go off on thier own tangent...no wonder we are doomed.

Quad.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-22-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
The OP puts out a poll, straight forward for us simpletons yet some choose to deviate and go off on thier own tangent...no wonder we are doomed.

Quad.
There you have it, poll questions are designed to solicit the answers the pollster would like to hear. Six months from now. we'll hear on the radio and tv, 65 % of hunters would rather hunt with a quad, Lazy Buggars.

Grizz
Old 05-22-2017, 05:45 PM

As I only own a quad out of the choices for the poll, I'd pick the quad. However, there is always my God-given two feet.... Those get me more places than anything else already mentioned.

J.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Quad.
I thought about that as well and that's a reason why I don't comment here as much or why I don't post any pictures anymore. It's really disappointing with all the knowledge on this forum and rather giving positive input someone needs to provide negativity. What's even more disappointing is that most of these negative comments are coming from older gentleman. Thanks for those who have posted and I really appreciate your time. Lets not forget that this forum is also frequented by a much younger crowd and we still need to be positive mentors for the younger crowd.

Next time i will do a better poll and also add Camel to it.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:41 PM

I picked the smaller Argo for a couple reasons.

1. It would make picking moose up out of the damn swaps they always seem to end up in much easier!
2. Can put tracka on it to deal with snow.
3. Smaller Argo for the Mrs. and I means 2 less tires, axels, etc to deal with and we don't need the side.

Yes horse is king to get around mountains if your after Elk, Sheep, Goat but was not an option. They do however have their own minds amd don't always listen which can lead to interesting senarios lol
Old 05-22-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
I thought about that as well and that's a reason why I don't comment here as much or why I don't post any pictures anymore. It's really disappointing with all the knowledge on this forum and rather giving positive input someone needs to provide negativity. What's even more disappointing is that most of these negative comments are coming from older gentleman. Thanks for those who have posted and I really appreciate your time. Lets not forget that this forum is also frequented by a much younger crowd and we still need to be positive mentors for the younger crowd.

Next time i will do a better poll and also add Camel to it.
Maybe there is some wisdom in those older voices, not what you want to here though. Carry on.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-22-2017, 06:57 PM

Mule ??
Old 05-22-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTurbo View Post
I picked the smaller Argo for a couple reasons.

1. It would make picking moose up out of the damn swaps they always seem to end up in much easier!
2. Can put tracka on it to deal with snow.
3. Smaller Argo for the Mrs. and I means 2 less tires, axels, etc to deal with and we don't need the side.

Yes horse is king to get around mountains if your after Elk, Sheep, Goat but was not an option. They do however have their own minds amd don't always listen which can lead to interesting senarios lol
I honestly, was going to ask you why you picked the smaller argo and your explanation made perfect sense. probably easier to maneuver through trails as well versus the bigger argo
Old 05-22-2017, 07:14 PM

Quad is still my overall choice for what I do but I'm a sucker for Argos. Love the 6x6. If I ever have too much $$$$, i will do this to dads 6x6 for muskeg and ice fishing.

jpg.gif Argo 6x6 on tracks.jpg (10.9 KB)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Argo 6x6 on tracks.jpg (10.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 05-22-2017, 07:15 PM

I excluded mule, horse and camel due to the fact that as a city person i have no place to store or feed this type of vehicle. The reason I added quad, side by side, ago 8x8 and argo 6x6 on the poll only is due to the fact of what i'm interested in.

Again, thanks to those who are participating.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:17 PM

I have used all of these at least once , and voted for the 8 wheeled Argo but they are all a piece go junk when they are broke and all mechanical stuff like that breaks sometime!
Cat
Old 05-22-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Maybe there is some wisdom in those older voices, not what you want to here though. Carry on.
I always welcome wisdom! What I don't want to hear is negativity. Thanks for your input and wisdom.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have used all of these at least once , and voted for the 8 wheeled Argo but they are all a piece go junk when they are broke and all mechanical stuff like that breaks sometime!
Cat
I looked at those argos and they sure are a nice machine. slow but will take you places you can't go with other vehicles :-)

Nice to use when ice fishing as well.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I honestly, was going to ask you why you picked the smaller argo and your explanation made perfect sense. probably easier to maneuver through trails as well versus the bigger argo
Exactly where my heads at! I'm also in the small category of people that would perfer a smaller quad like a 400 over a 600+. I've gone through nasty swampy places with a kodiak 400 that my friends couldn't with their grizzly 600's because it was lighter. Yes they beat me back to camp but I wouldn't buy a 4x4 quad for the speed factor.

Best of luck!
Old 05-22-2017, 07:48 PM

I would take a sxs if picking up another machine. I have had trikes, quads, sleds and Dad and I had a 6 wheel argo, great machine, amazing where it took us. We never had any issues, but the hours spent making sure everything was in tip top shape add up. Where I hunt there is no mud, no skeg and tons of hills and rocks, its mainly forestry roads you can drive on, then you are walking anyways. No cutlines, no "offroading" for the most part. A two wheel drive truck can get you to 90% of the same places here. But a sxs with some decent tires and a heater would make a nice rig to explore with.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:28 PM

Just like the guys we bumped into behind fawcett lake. SxS with a margarita machine. Not bad, not bad at all.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:00 PM

I vote foot as number 1,,, then frugal priced Quad.

We have pony's, but they fear the bush.

Don
Old 05-22-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I excluded mule, horse and camel due to the fact that as a city person i have no place to store or feed this type of vehicle. The reason I added quad, side by side, ago 8x8 and argo 6x6 on the poll only is due to the fact of what i'm interested in.

Again, thanks to those who are participating.

Side by side for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2017, 09:17 PM

Started with a 4x4 Quad. Quick travel covers ground more work for large critter retrieval.

Then went 8 wheel Argo. loads of maintenance and slow like others have said but goes sooo many places.
Still wish I had tracks for snow just in case I get drawn for Bison, did i mention the upkeep!

Now love my Ranger 6x6 Soft Cab and a heater good for old bones, Just need it to go get the animal.

On foot or in a stand the rest of the time.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:56 PM

Knowing you as I do, mechanical aptitude is not a factor. That one is covered in spades. There is no perfect answer, but I would say SxS for the versatility of using it as an ice fishing machine, and being able to have fun with the kids in your family. They would love it.