Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2017, 01:13 PM

Default Old Grouard Road/Trail

Hey all,

I am looking for any and all info on the Old Grouard Road that goes along the north shore of Lesser Slave Lake.

I am hoping to bike (pedal) it this summer. Anyone done this? Know how good it is for biking? How firm it is? What the stream crossings are like. Anyone have a gps track?

Also looking for info on the history of it. I know that there's an old cabin on the north east corner of the lake just off of it and would love some info one who built that and why? Also any general info on the road itself, the north shore and the lake would be great.

Thanks
Old 05-20-2017, 01:22 PM

Not certain it's the same trail but I suspect I've been on it. Mud and wet is all I can tell you. Oh. And bears and bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2017, 08:13 AM

Anyone have some more info? Would really appreciate the help.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:49 PM

Was a numbered road in the thirties. Drove most of it in a stock fourwheel drive truck in early eighties. Except through the park by grouard. Now at the other end we used to access at the north end of a park just north of slave lake. Now expanded wild land park.
When wet,muddy. When dry. Lots of sand, soft dry sand. One muskwg bog to cross. Bunch of little creek crossings. Lots of natives using road for traditional use back then. They all had 2 wheel drives.
Suspect no motorized access anymore and trail over grown with lots of deadfall.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:41 PM
Banned

Thank's Freddy !!!
Old 05-29-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

Was a numbered road in the thirties. Drove most of it in a stock fourwheel drive truck in early eighties. Except through the park by grouard. Now at the other end we used to access at the north end of a park just north of slave lake. Now expanded wild land park.
When wet,muddy. When dry. Lots of sand, soft dry sand. One muskwg bog to cross. Bunch of little creek crossings. Lots of natives using road for traditional use back then. They all had 2 wheel drives.
Suspect no motorized access anymore and trail over grown with lots of deadfall.

Is this the road that appears when lake levels get really low?

Grizz
Old 05-29-2017, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the info Freddy! Can I ask where you got that map from? I love old maps and if there's more I would appreciate seeing those too.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:43 PM

Do not know if it covered in water at high water. Same places there was a five foot band of willows /trees between old road and beach.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=old+h...ih=460#imgrc=_
Always known it was an old road from 150 to 200 years. This map also shows parts of the old road to ft mac that went from athabasca landing through old house. Was used before the old Conklin highway was built. Not new Conklin highway.

Last edited by Freddy; 05-29-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcultural heritage View Post
Hey all,

I am looking for any and all info on the Old Grouard Road that goes along the north shore of Lesser Slave Lake.

I am hoping to bike (pedal) it this summer. Anyone done this? Know how good it is for biking? How firm it is? What the stream crossings are like. Anyone have a gps track?

Also looking for info on the history of it. I know that there's an old cabin on the north east corner of the lake just off of it and would love some info one who built that and why? Also any general info on the road itself, the north shore and the lake would be great.

Thanks
I've been hunting along the north shore trail many times, but not past the narrows. The road is passable when it's not too wet. There is Reserve land at the narrows as well as a few tap lines throughout.