Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
IMO if it wasn't for that floor crossing hussy the WR would be in power now.
Where's all the hubcap love now???
Old 05-18-2017, 03:52 PM

I really hope this merger works, then all the dippers can move west one province where you can almost hear the whales and trees singing "Hallelujh".
Old 05-18-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Where's all the hubcap love now???
????? Just curious what is hubcap love anyway?
Old 05-18-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Agree, he brought them back from the dead after the Prentice/Danielle fiasco. I am one who likes Jean, what he says and hopes he can win the leadership of the new party. I don't care if he is stiff as a board like Harper was. I think he has Alberta first on his agenda.

Kenney can play second fiddle till the next one Imo. But I worry that guys like Kenney and Fildebrandt will undermine the new party from within if Jean wins. Maybe Fidebrandt will run for the leadership too.
Stiff as a board shows commitment, maturity and actually taking there job seriously... taking selfies and looking good is what I do not want to see as a leader.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
if it's that pudgy jason kenney idiot behind the wheel i'm voting NDP
That will show 'em.....
Old 05-18-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I dont think Id vote for Rona, probably go Libertarian if she was running the party. I still think Brian wins the nomination. Most of the party will be WRP supporters and like the job Brian has done.
Notley would appreciate you throwing your vote to the Libertarians.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
????? Just curious what is hubcap love anyway?
http://wpmedia.news.nationalpost.com...trip=all&w=940
Old 05-18-2017, 04:37 PM

I should have known that. Never to old to learn (again and again and again).
Old 05-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:

I'm confident Danielle would have been a Premier is she hadn't crawled in bed with Prentice.

If Filderbrandt runs, all bets are off. He's too off base for a lot of the people, Jean should have punted him a long time ago.

As mentioned above, the NDP will retain a lot of the <40 vote, most of them are still idealists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Then again perhaps it was obvious to her then what we accept to be necessary now
Old 05-18-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Then again perhaps it was obvious to her then what we accept to be necessary now
Good point, just bad timing.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Hopefully Rona Ambrose will run for leader.

Gack.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Chronic depression can be responsible for a lot of bad judgement. She thought she had the 2012 election in the bag. She's the kind of politician that would do anything to attain power and wrecked everything a lot of people had worked hard for.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

Also some 15, 16 and 17 year olds will vote for the first time in the next election. Of the 70 plus year olds 20% or more will have died.

My suggestion is to try to appeal to the youth in the province, it will weaken the NDP's base a help the new party

You don't want to lose this election, they could take root and be there 30 years.
I agree with this. But you know that 90% of young people know that climate change is a real thing. It perplexes me that for some reason our conservative politicians think that being anti - environment/ anti conservation is a conservative value.

Plus young people can smell the bigoted socially conservative stuff a mile off.

Advice to any leader. Fiscally conservative sells keep the anti environment religious nuts hidden away
Old 05-18-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
I agree with this. But you know that 90% of young people know that climate change is a real thing. It perplexes me that for some reason our conservative politicians think that being anti - environment/ anti conservation is a conservative value.

Plus young people can smell the bigoted socially conservative stuff a mile off.

Advice to any leader. Fiscally conservative sells keep the anti environment religious nuts hidden away
It's do or die in the next election for conservatives.

Fiscally conservative is good - bigoted anti environment socially conservative religious wing nuts = bad in the eyes most of the under 40 crowd.

And 40+ percent of the 70 year old geezer voters will be dead by the time there are two more elections.

Sobering thoughts indeed.

Jean could possibly pull it off as leader - Kenny not - his base supporters have to many bigoted anti environment socially conservative religious wing nuts lurking in the darkness.

Last edited by JimPS; 05-18-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
It's do or die in the next election for conservatives.

Fiscally conservative is good - bigoted anti environment socially conservative religious wing nuts = bad in the eyes most of the under 40 crowd.

And 40+ percent of the 70 year old geezer voters will be dead by the time there are two more elections.

Sobering thoughts indeed.

Jean could possibly pull it off as leader - Kenny not - his base supporters have to many bigoted anti environment socially conservative religious wing nuts lurking in the darkness.
Yup. But so many on this board are so anti NDP they can't see (agree is a different thing) why other people don't want rid of the NDP at any cost. Last time I said Kenny was the NDP secret weapon, I got crapped on. As a tradesman and a worker I won't forget that under Kenny the TFW program blossomed, amongst other Kenny flaws.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:55 AM

Election is a long way off yet. If you take a walk through any shopping centre on a Saturday afternoon you will see that Alberta is no longer a bastion of middle aged Anglo Saxons. We are an increasingly young, ethnically diverse province. The values that most of the strident WR/PC supporters on this forum support, are likely not the mainstream in this province in 2017.

I am not making any predictions one way or another, and I am not an ardent supporter of any party at the moment, but I think there better be some shifting of policy toward the center as it regards social policy, as well as the environment. If this new party attracts candidates that are "lake of fire" or "I am white, thus I have an inherent advantage" or "Dinosaur Fart theorists", then this may not be the slam dunk many people think it will be. I also think it best if a new leader takes the reins, as both of Jean and Kenney will have bad vibes within the party after the dust has settled. And the foundation of the party should be pro-business, balancing books, and providing the essential services and infrastructure our growing province needs after the PCs ignored this reality for decades, leaving us in the mess we are in currently.

This is not going to be a small order. Something tells me we are in for an interesting political ride...
Old 05-19-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Fiscally conservative is good yes- bigoted anti environment socially conservative religious wing nuts = bad in the eyes most of the under 90 crowd

Fixed it for you.

Because many of the Conservative crowd are pro industry does not mean they are anti environment. Times are a changing. You are correct the dinosaurs are dying out.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Yup, but who is left for us dinosaurs to vote for, then?
Old 05-19-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Contrary to what you may think a government is not easy to beat. They can change the ridings, pick the date of the election, the length of the campaign and hand out goodies during the campaign to attract voters.

Also some 15, 16 and 17 year olds will vote for the first time in the next election. Of the 70 plus year olds 20% or more will have died.

My suggestion is to try to appeal to the youth in the province, it will weaken the NDP's base a help the new party.

Do we have to pick between the two guys that we have? Notely has beat Jean and may be able to beat Kenny if he is the choice. I really do thing that Rona has the best shot.

You don't want to lose this election, they could take root and be there 30 years.
In another 10 years. NDP debt will be sky high. I can retire and let today's 15-24 year olds carry the debt burden while I smile and laugh at them.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-19-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Yup, but who is left for us dinosaurs to vote for, then?
Dinosaurs ruled for millions of years unchallenged ..
Old 05-19-2017, 09:04 AM

Default Please not Kenney

Please don't allow another wanna be prime minister, settling for premier, God complex, look in the mirror, know it all to bless us with his presence.. He represented all of Canada as an MP, now he wants to lead a Province?.. It's not about representation, or greater good, its about ego.

Elect the man who is aspiring to leadership, not settling for it.

Uniting is the right thing to do, lets not screw it up now!
Old 05-19-2017, 09:10 AM
AO Sponsor

I am definitely for Brian Jean leading the party over Kenny... Here's hoping!
Old 05-19-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytchtyts View Post
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/wildr...rger-1.3419275

Too bad, but we all knew it was coming.
Too bad? Speak for yourself. This is fantastic news.

You now have the chance to get involved and help form our new conservative party. Join up and get involved if you are passionate and want your beliefs held. Those of you who do not see this as a good thing need to seriously step back and look at the situation we are in as a province.

If you are concerned because your far right social conservative beliefs may not be forefont, then understand this... the voting majority will never support you, so again, step back and settle for the lesser of two evils (if that's what you think this situation is).

Kenny has done everything he said he would do, I'm excited to see who else may join in the race and will place My vote then to the (conservative) leader that most represents my beliefs. If they get in great, but if not, then I will still support which ever conservative leader is voted in.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Election is a long way off yet. If you take a walk through any shopping centre on a Saturday afternoon you will see that Alberta is no longer a bastion of middle aged Anglo Saxons. We are an increasingly young, ethnically diverse province. The values that most of the strident WR/PC supporters on this forum support, are likely not the mainstream in this province in 2017.

I am not making any predictions one way or another, and I am not an ardent supporter of any party at the moment, but I think there better be some shifting of policy toward the center as it regards social policy, as well as the environment. If this new party attracts candidates that are "lake of fire" or "I am white, thus I have an inherent advantage" or "Dinosaur Fart theorists", then this may not be the slam dunk many people think it will be. I also think it best if a new leader takes the reins, as both of Jean and Kenney will have bad vibes within the party after the dust has settled. And the foundation of the party should be pro-business, balancing books, and providing the essential services and infrastructure our growing province needs after the PCs ignored this reality for decades, leaving us in the mess we are in currently.

This is not going to be a small order. Something tells me we are in for an interesting political ride...
I think you nailed it with the bolded above. There is not the alt-right viewpoint in Alberta that many on AO think there is. Many are truly concerned about the environment, including issues that surround O&G extraction and production, as well as the landscape we live on.

If the crowd that thinks we need OHVs every where where "we used to ride them" is going to sell with the Alberta public, it won't. If social conservatives think they have a hope in heck to utilize this as a retreat to the 1950's, it will be the downfall of the UPC, and perhaps the old PC's like Mandel will actually be able to put together a party of the center. Frankly, people like Drew Barnes, Rick Strankman and Fildebrant are front and center as representatives, most Albertans will get turned off.

Better to concentrate on fiscal responsibility, and leave the social issues alone. In addition, the UPC will have to quickly define themselves on environmental issues, or the other parties will define them in a way that will be viewed as regressive.

I like Brian Jean, believe he is an honorable man, but I am not convinced he can keep the right wingers under control. Kenney is a retail politician, and one has to give him credit for that.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:53 AM

If the United Conservative Party does indeed form after the PC and WRP vote on it, a leadership race will be held. I WILL be signing up to become a member and I WILL voting for BRIAN JEAN!
Are going insane.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Very true - but Climate Change got them in the end too.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:10 AM

I just hope it was done on WR terms. The PCs need the WR much more than the WR needs the PCs. I have no interest in either Kenney or Ambrose, I don't want some captain-save-a-province coming from big shot Fed politics to come be the savior from the NDP scourge (unless said savior's name is Harper), and I think Jean has done a fantastic job taking the Wildrose from life support to a strong opposition party in a short period of time, meanwhile the PC party is still a wreck. I think this new United Conservative party would be insane to put any besides Jean at the helm. Lots don't have any trust in Kenney, and Fildebrandt is waaay too polarizing and immature to be thrown into a leader position. Ambrose isn't even confirmed to want to run for the leadership, either.

I agree about needing to move more central, at least socially. At this point, if a party shows that they're going to be fiscally responsible, doesn't want to demonize the industries that built this great province, and cuts out the arrogant crap and actually respects the will of the Alberta people, I'll gladly vote for that party, regardless of who it is. Show some respect for the environment as we do have to live here but find a point that gives a good balance between environment and economy, don't hire ministers who are hell bent on furthering their own personal agendas, and it's absolutely fine to accommodate LGBT students and whatnot, but don't give into hellbent SJWs with their extremist views in social public policy (save that for the universities). That's really all you need to win the vote I would imagine.

Oh, and maybe get Jean into some public speaking training to make him a bit more relaxed, charismatic and charming to the public. I personally don't mind his public persona, but the guy is cold and stiff as a board when speaking. I'm not saying he has to be Justin Trudeau and take selfies and do all sorts of stupid publicity stunts, but plenty of people, especially young people, vote just on who they like the most on a personality level. Notley did a great job of coming across as a warm and genuine person last election, and look how that played out.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
If the United Conservative Party does indeed form after the PC and WRP vote on it, a leadership race will be held. I WILL be signing up to become a member and I WILL voting for BRIAN JEAN!

I'm sure they agreed to call the new party United Conservative Party - without ever speaking the initials aloud.

With that kind of boo boo - You See Pee - may very well enter the 2019 Alberta election favoured by political odds makers, but they are still every bit as capable of blowing their lead to smithereens as the old PCs and WR's were in the past.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:28 AM

Thumbs down PC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post

And then the dinosaurs (PC's) started to rot from within . . . and along came the NDP !

I got my fingers crossed that when all this dust is settled, Brian Jean and the core of the Wildrose ends up ruling the day