Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2017, 08:39 PM

Default Jasper - May long

Jasper is on my list, as long as the weather is, for every May long. Less people and off the charts fishing everytime. Hit up Talbot day 1, tried for Maligne day 2 but it was totally frozen over and opted for first time at Pyramid, and then back to Talbot on the way out on day 3.
Holy crappin good fishing!!

Great welcome view:

Talbot was stupid good. Lots of pike around but the whites were thick. Right off the launch too.

Day 1 at Talbot, 2nd cast in and fish on. Smallest on of the weekend

In the element

Holy mirror batman!

Fish on'

And on

Keeper 1

Must have caught around ... 20 or so day 1 and kept 1 fish. All the releases were pretty good but the first one took around 15 minutes to revive. These whites in Talbot are absolute cream puffs. I've heard the term, "bone fish of AB", which makes me laugh. The only thing bone fish about them is the color. You have to really work at your releases or risk a lot of dead fish. This lake is shallow and warm...even early season. They fight nothing like the colder water of say Sylvan or Pigeon. There is the odd star but most are.....meh okay. Still fun though.

Day 2 was my first trip to Pyramid. I really didn't know the lake and didn't check a depth chart. Started off with the first hour of nothing trolling around. As I got closer to the North side I could hear a lot of talk about a point that some got a hit around. So I head over there and take a first pass. Marked at least 3 fish. Started trolling it and every pass was a fish. 7 passes 7 fish - all lakers. Most were 1.5- 2 lbs but I did hook one..and lost that looks maybe 6-7 lbs. Ended up landing around 12-13 lakes in a half day. Not bad for a first trip! No pics as I left the phone back at shore.

Day 3 was back at Talbot. Twice the day of day 1. Must have landed easily 15-16 whites. In only 3 hours.

Keeper 2 - 5.5 lbs ...tank!

Spring for sure

Great opening weekend in Jasper!!
Old 05-28-2017, 09:07 PM

Nice pictures.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:55 PM

Great trip Snap!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2017, 03:58 PM

Wow, that looks amazing for may long, great job. Sounds like fun.

What were you using for all those white fish? Prince nymphs and stuff like that?
Old 05-29-2017, 04:48 PM
Banned

Beautifull pics. Nices't May long I can remember. Looks like it was a great time.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foshizzle13 View Post
Wow, that looks amazing for may long, great job. Sounds like fun.

What were you using for all those white fish? Prince nymphs and stuff like that?
Yep, they are not too selective. Once you get at the timing of the cast, glory is all yours.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Beautifull pics. Nices't May long I can remember. Looks like it was a great time.
x2
Attached Images
File Type: gif thumbs_up.gif (7.3 KB, 364 views)
Old 06-01-2017, 09:40 PM

Wow Unreal. Talbot is on my bucket list for sure
Old 06-01-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Yep, they are not too selective. Once you get at the timing of the cast, glory is all yours.
Odd that they don't fight that well. The only lake whites I've ever caught on fly gear were in NWT and they fought ridiculously hard.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Odd that they don't fight that well. The only lake whites I've ever caught on fly gear were in NWT and they fought ridiculously hard.
Trust me, I'm not knocking catching any fish
There has just been a lot of other posts on here about how they are the bone fish of AB but I'm reporting what I've found in my case. I catch trout in the fall that far out fight, by weight, any Talbot white. In my opinion, I think is the case for Talbot due to the warmer water (shallow lake). As it warms up, say July or August, the fight doesn't get less but the revival is becomes very tough. I've had several die on me in past years despite trying for up to an hour, in some cases, to revive the fish. So, I like to stick with the early season fishing there now as a result. Other than first fish I caught this trip, all released really well. And, I managed to get that first one revived as well. The nice part about Talbot is that you can usually follow a fish after releasing it and see that it is doing well - shallow clear water

I've never caught a white in open water at Pigeon yet. Maybe this is the year. I would like to see how hard they fight in comparison because they sure make the reel scream in winter.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Trust me, I'm not knocking catching any fish
There has just been a lot of other posts on here about how they are the bone fish of AB but I'm reporting what I've found in my case. I catch trout in the fall that far out fight, by weight, any Talbot white. In my opinion, I think is the case for Talbot due to the warmer water (shallow lake). As it warms up, say July or August, the fight doesn't get less but the revival is becomes very tough. I've had several die on me in past years despite trying for up to an hour, in some cases, to revive the fish. So, I like to stick with the early season fishing there now as a result. Other than first fish I caught this trip, all released really well. And, I managed to get that first one revived as well. The nice part about Talbot is that you can usually follow a fish after releasing it and see that it is doing well - shallow clear water

I've never caught a white in open water at Pigeon yet. Maybe this is the year. I would like to see how hard they fight in comparison because they sure make the reel scream in winter.
Trust me, I wasn't questioning your statement, if you say the Talbot whites don't fight as hard as trout I'll believe you.

Totally off subject but where do you feel that Pike stack up? I've always felt that per lb they compare to trout a lot better than most people give them credit for, particularly river pike which seem to be a stronger fish and are quite good at using the current.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:24 PM

Some nice whites there! Heading there this weekend. Hope to have similar results but from shore.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Trust me, I wasn't questioning your statement, if you say the Talbot whites don't fight as hard as trout I'll believe you.

Totally off subject but where do you feel that Pike stack up? I've always felt that per lb they compare to trout a lot better than most people give them credit for, particularly river pike which seem to be a stronger fish and are quite good at using the current.
No problem, I figured. I was posting in general.

Pike, I look fondly back on those days a Wabamun....
Pike fight great for their size. I would still give the edge to trout but specifically turbo charged rainbows. But really, they both fight hard imho. Agreed on River Pike. power!

Speaking of river fish, my largest walleye at 10 lbs out of the RDR I thought, until I actually saw it, that it was a large pike I was fighting. Lots of quick direction changes and hard runs when it did. I have a lot of respect for river fish over lake fish.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahDude View Post
Some nice whites there! Heading there this weekend. Hope to have similar results but from shore.
Good luck!
Old 06-03-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
No problem, I figured. I was posting in general.

Pike, I look fondly back on those days a Wabamun....
Pike fight great for their size. I would still give the edge to trout but specifically turbo charged rainbows. But really, they both fight hard imho. Agreed on River Pike. power!

Speaking of river fish, my largest walleye at 10 lbs out of the RDR I thought, until I actually saw it, that it was a large pike I was fighting. Lots of quick direction changes and hard runs when it did. I have a lot of respect for river fish over lake fish.
Yeah, I have a hard time deciding on that one. I've had some big trout give me some great fights, but since I'm always catching them on way lighter gear its hard to compare. The odd time when you hook a pike when ice fishing for perch or whitefish, even a 3-5 lb fish can put up a pretty epic battle.

River vs lake fish... a few years ago I caught a 42" pike off the beach at Lesser Slave Lake and a 36" pike right by the river mouth. The next day I fished down river and I caught two 30" pike that both peeled off way more line than either of the larger fish from the lake. Catching those pike back to back like that sure made the difference obvious.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-03-2017 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:14 AM

Awesome pics!
Old 06-09-2017, 01:07 PM

Snap, yer killing me. You own Talbot the last few years. Way to go.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:29 PM

Great photos! would love to fish those lakes one day.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:59 PM
Banned

Gotta love Orvis Reels! Great pictures
Old 06-09-2017, 09:26 PM

Very jealous of the pyramid trip! I got out their years and years ago and had a ton of fun on whitefish that we super thick near shore... but always saw people with some nice lakers that i would love to get my hands on! Gorgeous pics!