Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-29-2017, 10:07 AM

Default For kicker users

I have a simple system on my boat where my main engine and kicker are linked together for steering. I've always raised my main engine out of the water so as to decrease drag when using the kicker, though it puts the linkage between the two at an odd, slightly less efficient angle. Do you raise your main engine or leave it down when using the kicker? I'm thinking that while there would be a bit of drag, there would be better steering with both the small and big engine in the water steering the same way.... thoughts?
Old 05-29-2017, 10:11 AM

I always have the kicker out of the water when main engine is down and always have the main engine down when running the kicker. Does add drag but have way better steering control with it acting as a rudder. Especially when the wind picks up.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:17 AM

Main motor down as well.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:36 PM

I like to steer the kicker direct for following structure and can't steer sharply enough with the big motor. I can steer the 17 foot boat quite sharply except in high winds.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:28 PM

Default Kicker Users

I grew up on the West Coast salmon fishing out of the Sooke area we always had a similar set up. When running out to the fishing area on the big motor the kicker was out of the water. When trolling the big motor is left in the water and a steering arm is then attached to the two motors. The big motor does help in controlling the boat.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerdog View Post
I always have the kicker out of the water when main engine is down and always have the main engine down when running the kicker. Does add drag but have way better steering control with it acting as a rudder. Especially when the wind picks up.
X2
Old 05-29-2017, 04:59 PM

X3
Old 05-29-2017, 06:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I have a simple system on my boat where my main engine and kicker are linked together for steering. I've always raised my main engine out of the water so as to decrease drag when using the kicker, though it puts the linkage between the two at an odd, slightly less efficient angle. Do you raise your main engine or leave it down when using the kicker? I'm thinking that while there would be a bit of drag, there would be better steering with both the small and big engine in the water steering the same way.... thoughts?
I don't own a kicker but I do borrow my brothers electric trolling motor from time to time.

I will raise the main motor if I want more speed or leave it down if I want to go a bit slower.

I haven't linked the motors yet but will when I have my own motor. I plan to use push pull cables to control both the steering and speed settings.

The steering would be hooked to the existing steering cable and the speed control would be hooked to a separate dash speed control. Like an equipment throttle.

Another setup I'm working on is a way to control a trolling motor on a fishing pontoon without having to reach back.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-29-2017, 07:27 PM

Thanks all. I'd love to be able to control kicker speed from front console, but I think setting that up is beyond me. If you do get is set up Keg, let me know how you did it.

As for main motor up or down, I'll have to leave it down and give it a try! Would simplify (and perhaps improve) the steering issue. I'm running a 15 hp kicker so a little extra drag won't be a problem. It's throttled almost right down to zero to get a decent trolling speed (I'm thinking aprox 3 km/hr)
Old 05-30-2017, 07:05 AM

There are kickers with a remote control, I'm not sure how much, it was a little key fob like a command start. I was fishing in a boat with one once and it wasn't ideal, sometimes sticking while turned all the way one way or another. We'd have 3 lines out and all of a sudden make sharp turns. Knowing the owner as well as I do, I suspect it might have something to do with the operator, all thumbs.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
There are kickers with a remote control, I'm not sure how much, it was a little key fob like a command start. I was fishing in a boat with one once and it wasn't ideal, sometimes sticking while turned all the way one way or another. We'd have 3 lines out and all of a sudden make sharp turns. Knowing the owner as well as I do, I suspect it might have something to do with the operator, all thumbs.
Hmmm I have an electric trolling motor with remote control but I've never seen a gas kicker with a remote. Learn something every day I guess. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:06 AM

Yeah, I don't have a kicker either but was thinking about it. This thread has been very helpful!
Old 05-30-2017, 10:58 AM

A friend had one on his jet Harbourcrafts kicker from Gibbons Motor Toys. It was brand new when we were out, I'm not sure if experience was the issue or just butter fingers. He kept running into things. You pass a test, they give you a license, but the one question they don't ask is "can you operate a boat?". I might just be sensitive because I caught the smallest fish by a mile.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
A friend had one on his jet Harbourcrafts kicker from Gibbons Motor Toys. It was brand new when we were out, I'm not sure if experience was the issue or just butter fingers. He kept running into things. You pass a test, they give you a license, but the one question they don't ask is "can you operate a boat?". I might just be sensitive because I caught the smallest fish by a mile.
Huh? The boater's exam does not include a "road test" (or a water test I guess).

All it means is you can pass the written exam.

The other thing to consider is, and kind of confusing to me, why would you be operating your kicker near anything? Use the main engine to manuver around docks, other boats, etc... Kickers, particularly console steer remotes, are not meant to have precise control. They generally steer you as you troll.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:29 PM

Oki,

I agree with everyone else says - keep the main down - much easier to control direction and speed. Easier to steer to as you are not fighting the big motor.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:40 PM

I have a powrtrans remote on my kicker. Push button left and right on the dash plus remote on a lanyard. I would never go without again. Cost about a grand. Worth every penny. I leave my leg down (inboard lol)
Old 05-30-2017, 07:57 PM

Main down to act as a rudder. Helps in windy conditions for sure.

If you want to remotely control Kicker speed with more finesse than a remote setup gives you, get one of these.

http://www.trollmasters.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-30-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Main down to act as a rudder. Helps in windy conditions for sure.

If you want to remotely control Kicker speed with more finesse than a remote setup gives you, get one of these.

http://www.trollmasters.com/

I think the boat needs to have power steering or electrical assist hydraulic steering doesn't it? Just curious.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:11 PM

The troll master pro 3 has remote steering with a Panther system. The Pro and Pro 2 are just throttle. They work well if you use the electric to steer and Kicker for thrust. Just a solenoid that pulls a wire that goes on your throttle body. You can still drive normally too.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-30-2017, 10:33 PM

I use a kicker set at 1/4 throttle locked in straight forward do all my steering and speed contr with front mount minn kota with i pilot hand held remote. More boat control then you get with kicker and or main steering.

Mack
Old 05-31-2017, 08:03 AM

EZ, we fish walleye a lot, trolling and follow structure not marinas and docks and such.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
The troll master pro 3 has remote steering with a Panther system. The Pro and Pro 2 are just throttle. They work well if you use the electric to steer and Kicker for thrust. Just a solenoid that pulls a wire that goes on your throttle body. You can still drive normally too.

Just throttle control is what I would want. I have a very simple (and removable) mechanical link between my main engine and kicker so I can steer either from my console. But if I want to adjust speed I have to get up and go to the kicker and adjust the twist control on the tiller arm. Pain in the A. If I could adjust speed from the console I'd be set.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:49 AM

If you are running HDS gen2 or Gen2 touch and newer you could add this.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/74682/...-hydraulic-kit

Also available for cable steer but way more money.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
EZ, we fish walleye a lot, trolling and follow structure not marinas and docks and such.
Using a console steer kicker? I guess what I was saying is, for every boat I've had with a console steer kicker, the precise control and maneuverability sucks compared to a kicker with a good old fashion kicker handle.

I know lots of guys who use kicker steering on the stick to back troll and maneuver with precision and are able to really stay on top of structure and steer along it with ease - I'd suggest it's apples to oranges different.

In my case I have a Terrova Electric (bow mount I-pilot link and wireless remote) that I use for walleye fishing and it is far better for low speed, precision maneuverability and, of course, for a quiet approach in shallower waters.

As Mack mentioned - I also sometimes use the Terrova to steer and just have the gas engine kicked into gear and pointed straight if the chop or wind is an issue. That works pretty slick too.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I also sometimes use the Terrova to steer and just have the gas engine kicked into gear and pointed straight if the chop or wind is an issue. That works pretty slick too.
Run my 9.9 pro kicker like this all the time....rough water or pulling cranks fast

its slick and functions properly with the follow to contour maps i spent the time making.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
I use a kicker set at 1/4 throttle locked in straight forward do all my steering and speed contr with front mount minn kota with i pilot hand held remote. More boat control then you get with kicker and or main steering.

Mack
This is how I do it as well. Use the electric for precise control. Tighten the kicker so it stays straight as well.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:10 AM

I networked a second depth finder and mounted it at the rear of my boat right next to mt kicker that i run with the tiller handle. I raise my big motor ojt of the water because when it is in it acts as a rudder and maked boat control much harder. With this setup i can can control the boat quite well. The other advantage i have is the ability to use my gps and kicker to hover in one spot fishing for halibut. Standing at the rear of the boat running my kicker also allows me to keep a close eye on my downriggers.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:19 AM

Many tournament guys and walleye circuit guys use a tiller handle on the kicker and wouldn't be caught dead using a console steer (or remote) kicker. Boat control pays the bills and nobody can argue the precision advantage of the tiller handle vs. the console or remote.

I'm too lazy to use a tiller handle. I went console steer but I use it for trolling trout, salmon and sometimes walleye or pike and get enough control.

I do have the electric for more precision, but again, in wind or chop sometimes the electric isn't powerful enough.

There also removable tie bars (which allow you to console and/or tiller steer the kicker) but I'm not sure you can easily adjust speed or RPM and not sure what the good/bad points on these are.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
What kind of sonar are you running. Specifically if you are running side scanning sonar you would benefit from raising the big motor up some.

I usually leave my big motor down when using the kicker (mine kicker and main are connected by steering arm) but do raise it to the top of the trim range so the side scanning sonar works better.

Just curious what's your max speed with you kicker? 15 hp seems like a lot.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:27 PM

The other nice thing about controling with i-pilot is you can record a track and follow it over and over. Weither it is a weed edge or a drop off.

Mack