Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2017, 09:21 AM

Default Surveyors

I need a RPR done so I can get permits for a garage project. City of Calgary tells me they don't have it, it's not in my mortgage papers and the bank doesn't have a copy. City has an original building permit or something, but it costs 75$ and was told that it would not be sufficient for permits ! The city said I would need to call a surveyor. Can anyone help. Willing to pay cash.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:54 AM

You're going to need an Alberta Land Surveyor for an RPR.
Goggle land survey companies in Calgary.
I've been a Survey Tech for 25 years did lots of RPR's, but need a ALS to stamp the RPR.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2017, 10:12 AM

Is this not terrible system we now have. Any fool can locate a survey stake and take out a tape measure to show where your garage or patio is located. Then if a few years old need to pay surveyor $$$ for new one. Everybody is ripping off poor new home owner realtor, lawyer and now surveyor.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:36 AM

You be surprise at how many people try to cut cost buy doing it themselves.
Then when they try to sell their house BANK request RPR, then discover encroachments.
I have seen first hand guys trying to save a buck, then cost them thousands to move fences, decks, driveways etc. A $800 RPR can save you headaches down the road.
Surveyors have to eat too. Lol

Old 05-28-2017, 10:37 AM

They didnt go to university to have to work for their money.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Is this not terrible system we now have. Any fool can locate a survey stake and take out a tape measure to show where your garage or patio is located. Then if a few years old need to pay surveyor $$$ for new one. Everybody is ripping off poor new home owner realtor, lawyer and now surveyor.
I'd like to see "any fool" determine what to do and how to proportion in the case of a lot where block corners govern and not all corners on the block have pins remaining. I'm thinking they'd need a pretty long tape measure, not to mention they may have a few houses, trees, etc. in the way

There is a lot that goes into producing a real property report, from judgement calls in the field to calculations in the office.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Not that simple, not by a long shot. And the "surveyors" aren't ripping anyone off. They're charging for a legitimate serice and product, one that is required by lending companies, municipalities etc.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:

I've just recently retired from 47 years in the field and I am well aware of how many "fools" can locate a survey stake. You would be surprised what I've been shown.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:44 PM

Should have gotten one when you bought your house.

If you know which firm did the last RPR, it will be less expensive to update the plan they have rather than start from scratch.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:01 PM

Default Rpr

How long does it take to get a rpr?
Old 05-28-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post

If you know which firm did the last RPR, it will be less expensive to update the plan they have rather than start from scratch.
That's some good advice Ben.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Lvr View Post
I've just recently retired from 47 years in the field and I am well aware of how many "fools" can locate a survey stake. You would be surprised what I've been shown.
LOL - I bet .....

My wife had a friend from work who phoned her in a panic. She insisted the contractor had "paved around the survey seal as she called it" and that her driveway was over the property line and was outraged. She lived in a cul-de sac in a new subdivision and builder was catching up and finishing the driveways after a few homes had been built and occupied. She had just moved in a few weeks before that and was driving everyone in the world crazy as not everything was turn key.

I was over there a few nights previously because the rain was going to wash away the side of her house and she was loosing her mind. So I came over, in the mud, and lowered her eaves through gutter downspouts for her - and just got back into my truck, with my soaked clothes and now muddy boots and newly muddied floor mats. I wasn't happy - she was clueless. The contractor had had them in the upright folded position. Never occurred to her to have a closer look and see why there was another piece of downspout folded up running alongside the downspout for no apparent reason !!! some people shouldn't own homes.

SO back to this latest emergency - "the contractor paved around her survey seal" .....

She couldn't get a-hold of the builder's contractor that evening but was having an absolute mental break down. The builder said they would look at it in the morning. She was loosing her mind.

My wife asked me to go over and look to calm her down. I knew this lady was a dinghy and could be over dramatic about the silliest things - and besides, I was busy doing something in my own yard .... but if I don't go over she is going to be phoning and crying all freaking night.

So ... reluctantly ..... we drove over (she was in the same neighborhood, but far side of subdivision). So we hop in the truck and go over.

I got out of the truck and there she was waiting in the driveway clearly wound up. I barely rounded the front of the truck when she pointed to the edge of the driveway and said - "see, it's the surveyors seal", "they paved around the property line the idiots~!!!" she exclaimed.

I looked down at it, then up to her, and said, "that's your water shut off".

At the time I was pretty annoyed - but makes for a great story years later now.

LOL
Old 05-29-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post

I know I should have gotten one ! I have a legal description of the property but it just reads Plan ####### Block 13 Lot 44 no blue prints or drawings. Can I get a RPR done with just this number ? The city will bring up a report for $75, but can't guarantee the RPR will be in it. If it is I can't copy it as it is copyrighted. Then I need permission from from the original company to release it.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncy View Post
You be surprise at how many people try to cut cost buy doing it themselves.
Then when they try to sell their house BANK request RPR, then discover encroachments.
I have seen first hand guys trying to save a buck, then cost them thousands to move fences, decks, driveways etc. A $800 RPR can save you headaches down the road.
Surveyors have to eat too. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
I'd like to see "any fool" determine what to do and how to proportion in the case of a lot where block corners govern and not all corners on the block have pins remaining. I'm thinking they'd need a pretty long tape measure, not to mention they may have a few houses, trees, etc. in the way

There is a lot that goes into producing a real property report, from judgement calls in the field to calculations in the office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Not that simple, not by a long shot. And the "surveyors" aren't ripping anyone off. They're charging for a legitimate serice and product, one that is required by lending companies, municipalities etc.
This about sums it up
Old 05-29-2017, 09:53 AM

I could very well wrong, but don't you have to have a current RPR included in the sale to close???
Old 05-29-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I could very well wrong, but don't you have to have a current RPR included in the sale to close???
What sale ?
Old 05-29-2017, 10:37 AM

Default Surveyors ripping home owners

Quote:
I think you forgot to mention " other rippers "
Framers, plumbers , electrician, drywallers, painters, roofers, .... we all should work for free
Old 05-29-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
How long does it take to get a rpr?
Sounds like 7-10 days. $550.00 cheapest so far. Called my realtor, he might still have my file. 18 years ago I bought my house and in those days once the bank looked at it and the lawyers checked for authenticity, they threw away the copies. Not everyone gets one for personal purposes. There is an original somewhere, I'm looking !
Old 05-29-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Sounds like 7-10 days. $550.00 cheapest so far. Called my realtor, he might still have my file. 18 years ago I bought my house and in those days once the bank looked at it and the lawyers checked for authenticity, they threw away the copies. Not everyone gets one for personal purposes. There is an original somewhere, I'm looking !
Habfan, PM me.... My company has been doing RPR's in Calgary for 30+ years - it may be that we have done it. If you give me the legal description (Lot, Block, Plan) I'll research.....

But only if you feel comfortable. I'll tell you my company name by PM.

J.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
What sale ?
When you bought the property??
Old 05-29-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
When you bought the property??
Back in those days, I guess the lawyers looked over a survey and said everything was ok and that was good enough. City told me a RPR was never done on my property. Only way is to find the original survey company ! The bank has a legal land description, that is just a bunch of numbers. In this day and age, I need copyright permission as well to pass on this info to a builder. I'm hopeful my realtor can help me or another AO member, might be time to pay. I would rather pay someone on here that could use the $.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Habfan, PM me.... My company has been doing RPR's in Calgary for 30+ years - it may be that we have done it. If you give me the legal description (Lot, Block, Plan) I'll research.....

But only if you feel comfortable. I'll tell you my company name by PM.

J.

Pretty nice offer, good on ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk