Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 09:51 AM

Default New furnace time, reccomendations?

Anyone have experience with Action furnace or Reliance for new furnace/AC install?
Old 05-25-2017, 10:00 AM
Banned

Everything I heard about Piper Plumbing in EDM has been good,ask for David.

http://www.piperplumbing.ca/
Old 05-25-2017, 10:03 AM

Would help to know where you're located. . .
Old 05-25-2017, 10:46 AM

Edmonton area
Old 05-25-2017, 11:27 AM

Always Plumbing and Heating
Had my Hot Water Tank done a couple years ago, and they just did my furnace a couple months ago. Service Techs are amazing and would highly recommend them.

Why Do I Have to Work.......Need to be outside more!!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:12 PM

Thanks, I'll check them out
Old 05-25-2017, 07:34 PM

I'd be very leery or using Always, they have a high turnover rate in their staff, must mean something. We did not have good luck. Take a look at Weiss Johnson.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
I'd be very leery or using Always, they have a high turnover rate in their staff, must mean something. We did not have good luck. Take a look at Weiss Johnson.
2nd Weiss Johnson
Old 05-26-2017, 06:06 AM

a good buddy works for furnace soloutions in Edmonton can give them a call or if you want he does weekend work, super meticulous guy, but also very busy. PM me if you want his #
Old 05-26-2017, 01:21 PM

Default Furnace

Id be more interested in the make and quality of the furnace. Most anyone can replace one correctly.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Id be more interested in the make and quality of the furnace. Most anyone can replace one correctly.
I personally would install a York furnace and AC (installed the AC last year in my house) Carrier is also a good brand.

Lennox is good but is a pain in the ***** to get parts if needed.

I wouldnt touch a Trane or Goodmann
Old 05-26-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyperch View Post
I personally would install a York furnace and AC (installed the AC last year in my house) Carrier is also a good brand.

Oh that's good to know, thank you.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:

What are you basing this on? I'll agree with you partially on the goodman, as they are a lower end line, however they move hundreds of thousands of units a year, and they will heat your house.

Lennox is no harder to source parts for than any other brand. And they also make the highest efficiancy in a furnace, with the SLP98 rated at 97.7%, and also very efficient electrically speaking too, with the fully modulating ECM motor.

Carrier makes some good stuff also, but I find the overall finish is lacking. IE, the last top end carrier I dealt with a few years ago didn't have a sealed combustion box, and relied on the housing door to seal it.

Trane are a nice unit, nothing flashy or revolutionary, however are very reliable, and I would rank up here with any of the big names.

In fact, of the names you mentioned, I actually think York would be my last choice.

Ymmv
Old 05-26-2017, 09:46 PM

I have a Goodman Furnace. 95% efficiency. Only problem I've had with it is the flame sensor had to be cleaned. Had it for roughly 5 years now.

I would hold off on Reliance just because of the costs that they charge. Even just for showing up to your house was gouging.

But that's just my two cents.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreyer View Post
I have a Goodman Furnace. 95% efficiency. Only problem I've had with it is the flame sensor had to be cleaned. Had it for roughly 5 years now.

I would hold off on Reliance just because of the costs that they charge. Even just for showing up to your house was gouging.

But that's just my two cents.
Oh. They're coming for a free estimate on Tuesday
Old 05-29-2017, 09:11 AM

Default York

Quote:

I had a York furnace and AC unit installed in my home last year by Comfortable Home Systems in Edmonton. Very happy with both so far. The instal was fast, efficient and professional. Ask for Manny.

Jim
Old 05-29-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
What are you basing this on? I'll agree with you partially on the goodman, as they are a lower end line, however they move hundreds of thousands of units a year, and they will heat your house.

Lennox is no harder to source parts for than any other brand. And they also make the highest efficiancy in a furnace, with the SLP98 rated at 97.7%, and also very efficient electrically speaking too, with the fully modulating ECM motor.

Carrier makes some good stuff also, but I find the overall finish is lacking. IE, the last top end carrier I dealt with a few years ago didn't have a sealed combustion box, and relied on the housing door to seal it.

Trane are a nice unit, nothing flashy or revolutionary, however are very reliable, and I would rank up here with any of the big names.

In fact, of the names you mentioned, I actually think York would be my last choice.

Ymmv

Im basing this on working the fact i have worked in the Commercial HVAC industry for the past 10 years.

I never said Lennox was bad, i just said its a pain to get parts.

I have a Goodman in my house and i just find it poorly made. Maybe they are built better now that Daikin bought them out.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:37 AM

I think the goodmans might have improved a bit since the buyout, but they are still lower end unit. In a commercial application, I'll agree that York makes a decent unit. I'm partial to carrier rtu's myself, with traine and Lennox tied for a distant third
Old 05-29-2017, 09:46 AM

AMS is a member on here and does furnaces and hvac.
Very reasonable rates....and stands behind his work.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
I think the goodmans might have improved a bit since the buyout, but they are still lower end unit. In a commercial application, I'll agree that York makes a decent unit. I'm partial to carrier rtu's myself, with traine and Lennox tied for a distant third
I like Carrier as well, but the pricing for Carrier RTUs are getting a bit crazy.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:22 PM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
Anyone have experience with Action furnace or Reliance for new furnace/AC install?

Action furnace is the last people you want , the best company is DR HEAT , its a family business , Danny and his two boys are pros , they install every furnace like it was his own house , the inspecters know them well , they do such a good job the inspectors don't even hardly inspect , they know what kind of work Danny and his boys do , so they just stick on the approved sticker and move on , and they only use Lennox , nothing else , and White water heaters .
They did mind 7 years ago , no problems , installation is everything.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:02 PM

Reliance came out with the best bang for the buck. Large company, buying in larger quantity able to pass savings on to customer. Their salesman was ok, not stellar.
Goodman 96% dual stage with 2t SEER 16 AC.
Installation was on schedule and efficient. The two gentleman that arrived to install were fantastic, very upstanding and respectful. They were able to complete the entire installation under 5 hrs including drilling the new intake and exhaust through concrete....i did yank the old furnace out ready and waiting for them though with a poured pad for the AC
Old 06-10-2017, 06:21 PM

Not in your area, but just had a few quotes done and am going ahead with a carrier this week. The carrier was cheaper than the Lennox I was quoted for, which was nice, but what sealed the deal was carrier had a 5 year labour warranty and 10 year parts, the Lennox only had a one year labour and 10 year parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2017, 08:02 PM

Do yourself a favor. Don't go near Dyand for any money. One of the poorest run companies I've ever come across.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:09 PM

I will weigh in on this thread as well. Install trumps brand, contrary to the advice already given. Over 90% of premature furnace failure can be traced back to installer error. Small duct work and oversized furnaces is the most common causes of failure but after 20 years you see most everything.

A well installed Trane or American Standard (same company) will treat you well.

[IMG][/IMG]