Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2017, 08:24 PM

Default Swallow with a band on its leg- who to contact?

Seems my cat managed to catch a swallow and I noticed a band in its leg. Is there someone to contact? If they went through the effort of banding it I assume they are trying to collect info.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:31 PM

You can report the band here: https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv/
Ask for a certificate of appreciation when you report it.

Strix
Old 05-28-2017, 09:42 PM

Thanks, went ahead and did it but unfortunately it said that the bander had not yet registered the band so no info was available.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:45 PM

Why would they band a swallow? I know it's the bird of true love but it's hardly a key species.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
Why would they band a swallow? I know it's the bird of true love but it's hardly a key species.
Because "they" are concerned about whats happening with songbird populations and we all should be too.

All songbird species are declining in North America. Among other things, it could be used to track migration patterns as well as mortality.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:17 PM

Is it a tree swallow? Very cool! It is extremely rare that bands on these little birds go reported.

A number of scientists here in the prairies use tree swallows to study how birds respond to things like different environments, foods, population dynamics, migration and why some individuals raise young and others do not. You can create a swallow colony just by hanging up a bunch of nest boxes. They come back year after year.

Or there could be a local bander who does it just to do it. Capturing birds with mist nets. Either way a rare find.

All bird bands are recorded before they are even given out to a bander, so the office will know who had this band. If it was banded this year then they might not report it until July/August.

Check this link for a place to call or report it.
https://www.ec.gc.ca/bbo/default.asp...n&n=AA9C96BC-1
Old 05-28-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
Because "they" are concerned about whats happening with songbird populations and we all should be too.

All songbird species are declining in North America. Among other things, it could be used to track migration patterns as well as mortality.
I did t realize they were a songbird. I just thought they slung mud on your house and pooped all over ones deck. I stand corrected.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:43 PM

Default Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
Seems my cat managed to catch a swallow and I noticed a band in its leg. Is there someone to contact? If they went through the effort of banding it I assume they are trying to collect info.
If you put a bell on your house cat, it may help save some song birds.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I did t realize they were a songbird. I just thought they slung mud on your house and pooped all over ones deck. I stand corrected.
They do love stuco. I know! But the mudslingers are probably Barn Swallows with the rusty coloured breasts. Also songbirds. Tree Swallows have a white breast and a greenish blue iridescent colour to their back and wings.

What area did you find the bird OP? I know a couple banders in the Edmonton area who may have an idea who banded your find.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:08 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Swallow

If it's a Purple Martin the contact is bobbuskas@incentre.net
Old 05-29-2017, 05:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
If you put a bell on your house cat, it may help save some song birds.
Or put a plug in its butt so it stops pooping

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-29-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post

Cats are the leading cause of song bird mortality anywhere. Shoot a cat, save a bunch of song birds. Some places, like Germany, it's compulsory for hunters.

Grizz
Old 05-29-2017, 08:14 AM

Near Lesser Slave Lake (the Boreal Center for Birds) catches songbirds; they weigh them, band them and release them. If you're up there (and get up early enough) you can watch how they do it. Pretty fascinating.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Cats are the leading cause of song bird mortality anywhere. Shoot a cat, save a bunch of song birds. Some places, like Germany, it's compulsory for hunters.

Grizz
I keep my cat indoors for that very same reason (saving song birds). I spotted some Mourning Doves a couple of days ago. Real pretty birds.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:50 AM

What kind of a swallow is it that digs a tunnel to nest in along river banks or along the edges of gravel pits?
Old 05-29-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
What kind of a swallow is it that digs a tunnel to nest in along river banks or along the edges of gravel pits?
Aside from Purple Martin's, which are the largest North American swallow and easy to identify, there are six types of swallows in Alberta:

Cliff Swallows - build nests in cliff sides, banks, etc. Typically nest in holes.

Bank Swallows - also build nest in cliff sides, banks, etc. Different coloration than Cliff Swallows and typically build closed in mud hole nests on cliff sides.

Rough winged Swallows - also build nest in cliff sides, banks, etc. but not commonly in large colonies like the other bank nesters.

Barn Swallows - build mud nests that are open from the top. Often found under eaves of barns, cliffs, etc.

Tree Swallows - build nests in tree holes, nest boxes.

Violet-Green Swallows - similar to Tree Swallows but found primarily in the southwest corner of the province.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll try the new link when I get home. From descriptions I think perhaps a tree swallow, colors seem to match up.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:02 PM

I put a dozen bird boxes up early last spring in hopes of getting our mountain bluebirds back.
I researched hole size and style of box etc..
No bluebirds & 1 pair of swallows in 1 or 2 boxes as far as I could tell.
This season maybe 4 or 5 pairs of swallows.
I kinda like them, I like how they fly even though they dive bomb me when I go in garden.
Are they good insect eaters ?
They have white breasts.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
If the swallow is the bird of true love, does that mean the spitz is the dog of the adventurous?
Old 05-30-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleflyfisher View Post
I put a dozen bird boxes up early last spring in hopes of getting our mountain bluebirds back.
I researched hole size and style of box etc..
No bluebirds & 1 pair of swallows in 1 or 2 boxes as far as I could tell.
This season maybe 4 or 5 pairs of swallows.
I kinda like them, I like how they fly even though they dive bomb me when I go in garden.
Are they good insect eaters ?
They have white breasts.
Where are you located?
You, most likely, have Tree Swallows. To my knowledge, aside from the large Purple Martins, only Tree Swallows and Violet Greens will use nest boxes. Tree Swallows are by far the most common in nest boxes.
If you want Mountain Bluebirds, you need to hang your boxes in pairs. Tree Swallows are more aggressive than Bluebirds and will occupy one, but will not tolerate another pair of Swallows nesting close. They will tolerate Bluebirds, so you end up with one box with Bluebirds and another with Tree Swallows. Hang them within 10-20 feet of each other. If you hang boxes singly, and scatter them around, you will likely not have Bluebirds as the Tree Swallows will occupy all.
Swallows are insect eaters.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
Where are you located?
You, most likely, have Tree Swallows. To my knowledge, aside from the large Purple Martins, only Tree Swallows and Violet Greens will use nest boxes. Tree Swallows are by far the most common in nest boxes.
If you want Mountain Bluebirds, you need to hang your boxes in pairs. Tree Swallows are more aggressive than Bluebirds and will occupy one, but will not tolerate another pair of Swallows nesting close. They will tolerate Bluebirds, so you end up with one box with Bluebirds and another with Tree Swallows. Hang them within 10-20 feet of each other. If you hang boxes singly, and scatter them around, you will likely not have Bluebirds as the Tree Swallows will occupy all.
Swallows are insect eaters.
Hi, I'm over in DeWinton.
Yes I hung them all in singles, talking with a friend he said along the same line as you about dbl up the boxes.
He thought that the type of terrain played a part in getting the bluebirds back, as in how long and type,of grass ?
I like the swallows, definitely white chest, not much on the sparrows using the boxes.
I really blew it when I had a bunch of old fence & corrals pulled down along with some bird boxes. Did not realize they were the bluebirds now can't get them back.
Will run through the rest of, season with what I have & locate some more in spring.
Thank you for advice, didn't realize the many different species around , allot are quite cool.
Latest is what I think is a sharp shinned hawk, likes the sparrows!
Old 05-31-2017, 10:30 AM

Eagle
I'm not far from you - Millarville area.
In our area they are almost certainly Tree Swallows. Might not be too late for attracting Bluebirds this year. They can have more than one brood per year and you might get lucky and still attract some by putting your boxes out in pairs. You might find a pair whose previous nesting area was damaged, etc.