Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-28-2017, 10:18 PM

Default Dumb questions about deer.

I don't hunt big game. My motto is "if the dog can't bring it back...I'm not shooting it"

However I walk the dogs every day and see deer and the odd moose in my travels.

Here are the questions: When do the bucks start to grow their antlers?
How big are the fawns now?
The herd I saw this morning looked like they were all does, but there were no small fawns with them.

I'm not sure what I saw other than they were WT deer. How come no fawns? Oh I was on a parcel of about 4 sections square.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:24 PM

I am not seeing fawns yet either, but it could be any day now. I usually start seeing them around the end of May, or beginning of June. As far as antlers go, I have seen a few deer with antlers just getting started.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:29 PM

Fawns will be hitting the ground right about now. But the moms don't take them with them out in the fields until they get big enuf where they can keep up to their mom.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:33 PM

They start growing antlers in the spring soon after they drop the old set, anywhere from march to may; photoperiod, age and condition all play a part. Right now they are small enough to be below the ears in most cases, so you may not see them without optics. The fawns are just starting to drop, this early they will be hidden as they are not fast enough to outrun predators yet. Won't start seeing them with the does for a few weeks. The does nurse them, hide them in a safe place, then go off to feed, periodically checking on the fawn.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:35 PM

Default Thanks guys

I'll let you know when I start seeing the fawns. I try to avoid places where I know the deer are because my dogs chase them. I have pudelpointers and they are a Versatile German breed and in Europe hunting fur bearing critters with dogs is considered an asset for the dog. For me it is Verboten.

How big will the fawns be when they appear? I don't want any trouble with the dogs.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:02 AM
Banned

Default Manitoba

Fawns probably a week away, but have seen horn growth for the last month here.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:11 AM

My wife took some photos of some very new-looking moose calves the other day. It was with her phone, so they didn't turn out that well.

I'll bet the bears are going to be roaming more, looking for the new fawns/calves that are dropping now.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:13 AM
Banned

I've seen pronghorn fawns but no deer yet. Are they ever fun to watch
Old 05-29-2017, 08:18 AM

Bears and fawns/calves are a real problem in spring. One large collared boar black bear ate 44 moose calves in one spring smog feast. Bear hunters get out their and do your part for mother nature.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Bears and fawns/calves are a real problem in spring. One large collared boar black bear ate 44 moose calves in one spring smog feast. Bear hunters get out their and do your part for mother nature.
Source?

I believe it, but I like having studies to show up the greenie anti hunters that claim they are vegetarian.