Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 PM

Default Unique Power Ram sets

We've got a bit of a discussion going on in the BADS thread and I thought I'd start this one to avoid further derailing of Hunterdaves thread.

I was interested to hear Thunderf/x was using camlocks in conjunction with power Rams. It's something which had previously crossed my mind but I dismissed. Maybe I've been underestimating the number of coyotes backing out of my snares?

One unique (I think?) set I've been working on is using a wolfmaster ram with 55 inches of cable. When I build the snare I include a wire whammy and a BAD. This allows me to make a nice coyote size loop and still have a fair bit of cable left. I use some 9 wire as a snare support. I can then hide the Ram around the backside of a tree or brush to conceal it. I don't have many of these out but it seems to be working on the catches I've made.

I tried a similar thing last year using a double ferrule as a whammy but I found since there is no swivel I was always fighting a twist in the cable. The wire whammy allows me to twist the snare into the proper position.

I have another idea utilizing two Rams for a fence set but it hasn't progressed beyond the idea rolling around in my head.

Last edited by Tfng; 01-10-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:20 AM

No camlock on this one or BAD but it is upside down!
works fantastic and easy to hang and set. This one is anchored at the spring coil. I have now changed it up to anchor by the non trigger eye end.
This set has caught two so far.
Snare loop is actually suspended but the photo makes it look like its on the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upside down ram.jpg (95.3 KB, 222 views)

Old 01-11-2017, 11:05 AM

That's a nice location! Did you add that paige wire in there? It seems most of my coyotes don't cross that close to the post.

I like the upside down ram, it's up above the line of sight. Seeing as how it's in a fence there's no danger of someone walking into it. It'd be nice to hang them from a tree like that but it doesn't seem like a good idea.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:07 AM

That's a nice location! Did you add that paige wire in there in a previous year? It seems most of my coyotes don't cross that close to the post.

I like the upside down ram, it's up above the line of sight. Seeing as how it's in a fence there's no danger of someone walking into it. It'd be nice to hang them from a tree like that but it doesn't seem like a good idea.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:39 AM

Why not?
Hang it from a tree upside down. It is just hanging lightly by a nail. Looks good and keeps things off the ground where his nose is way too often. I do not see anything wrong with it and it works. I have them hanging that way from the top wire of a fence too except with light tie wire so it breaks away when pulled!
Hopefully, someone with more experience will chime in soon.
That set is untouched other than the RAM.

Last edited by Thunder/FX; 01-11-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:07 PM

My concern was when its hung upside down the arms travel up instead of down. No big deal for a coyote but I get the odd nosy person checking my snares. None have permission of course but people don't recognize the power stored in that ram.

Maybe I shouldn't worry about it, I don't know.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:20 PM

I wouldn't worry, it'd be a he'll of a surprise.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:12 PM

Noggin or Nuts
Cant decide which is better?
Grandpa said " Don't stick your finger where you wouldn't stick your..."
I promise the same person would not do that twice!

Old 01-11-2017, 01:51 PM

I see we've got a new thread going here, so I'll post my response from my derail on the other thread here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Are you not using wire as a support to hang the snare from? Your comment about being able to swing too freely has me wondering. I set them like a regular snare where it must travel uphill before it fires.
Yup, I use a support wire, with the cable angled uphill a bit. The Support wire prevents the snare from pivoting around like a door in the run.
I was more thinking the S-hook would allow the loop to swing too easily like a swingset in the run.

I was probably overthinking it, as I suppose it would probably not swing anymore than with the cable looped back on itself as I do now.
My normal snares have a whammy - that provides a lot of resistance to "swinging" as the cable passing through it cant twist. With the whammy, I can even angle the loop up hill if the run is up hill. The RAM snares hang wherever the cable wants to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder/FX View Post
FWIW,
I use cam locks with 385 BADs on RAM Power snares.
One other point on this... that extra hardware would probably require a heavier snare support wire. (or heavier than I currently use for Ram snares).
Old 01-11-2017, 02:07 PM

I use 16.5 gauge standard tie wire for the support with or without camlocks.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:30 PM
Banned

I do not understand you wanting to make up a longer snare. The PR was designed for a particular length that chokes down to your wrist size. Definately no need for a cam lock, BAD...maybe. Just a waste of wire IMO
The PR can be easily camo'd, if this is why you went with more wire..
Old 01-11-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
I do not understand you wanting to make up a longer snare. The PR was designed for a particular length that chokes down to your wrist size. Definately no need for a cam lock, BAD...maybe. Just a waste of wire IMO
I don't think its about concealing the ram. I believe he wants the longer cable, so he has more options of where to put his RAM. If he goes with the longer cable, he will have to upgrade to the wolfmaster, so his loop ends up at the correct size when closed.

Sometimes it can be a pain to position the #1 RAM, and leave enough cable to place the snare loop where it needs to be in the run. With the longer cable and the wolfmaster, you don't have to mess around as much getting the RAM positioned so close to the trail. So, you can make/remake sets much faster.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
The #1 RAM is 48" (at rest, fired, without snare). The #10 replacement snare is 47" before making the loops which easily take up another 3".
Lets say 6" for a coyotes neck. (8 inches of cable to go around my wrist)
In the fired position the ram will still have the ability to pull another 10 inches.
The longer cable allows the Ram to be a little farther away from the snare loop. In "some" cases this is desirable.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:22 PM

Sourdough Doug I only run a longer 55 inch snare in the wolfmasters where needed. Wolfmaster snares are available in 56 inch and 60 inch. I also run 46 inch snares in the wolfmaster. Since the wolfmaster is designed for a larger wolf size loop I use the extra cable to get the ram farther off the trail. A coyote in a 46 inch snare on a wolfmaster goes down fast. In the 55 inch snare it's comparable to a #1 and a 46 inch snare. It's more cable yes but cable is the cheapest part of this whole operation. One good coyote will buy a 1000' of cable. (Hopefully lol)

I cut my cable 1 inch shorter to allow for the additional length of the BAD.

Yes gstyler it allows more reach for those wide trails and more options in general. One spot I snare has very mature willows and little other brush except for the edges so it's basically clumps and wide trails between them. The majority of my sets are a #1 or wolfmaster with a 46 inch snare. I like to have the option though.

I own a nearly 60/40 ratio of #1 to wolfmaster.

Last edited by Tfng; 01-11-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:56 PM

Seems like a lot of extra work hanging ram along fence. I just lean against barbed wire or post depending on location of trail. Set 21 snares on fence line running thru a small coulee between bedding area and food source. Came back next morning found 18 coyotes waiting for me. Try to keep it simple.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Seems like a lot of extra work hanging ram along fence. I just lean against barbed wire or post depending on location of trail. Set 21 snares on fence line running thru a small coulee between bedding area and food source. Came back next morning found 18 coyotes waiting for me. Try to keep it simple.
Thanks for the input TrapperMike. I don't make a lot of fence sets but I do have one area where I should be. It's an old broken down sagging fence which runs parallel to the bush I bait. I set half a dozen Rams in it last year early in the year and they just kept going around them. There's not much grass or brush on it especially after it gets some snow drifted in it. It's in such rough shape they can cross wherever they want. It's along a ridge between two fields so that may be increasing the visibility of the snares since they are looking up at the fence when approaching it from either side. I did manage to catch one in those sets last year. I ignored it this year thinking I would catch them prowling around the bait.

I did set one along the other fence line this year where they were crossing but I set it along the fence not in it. I caught 3 in that set but the drifting snow has changed their trail to a wide open corner about a hundred yards away.

Every year I make things simpler and it definitely helps. I need to change my anchor cable setup to have a snap or clip so I'm not standing there threading the ram through a loop of cable. It would be really handy when I just want to move the ram somewhere nearby and I wouldn't have to mess up the snare and support.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:23 PM

Ive been using quick snaps to anchor my snares for years, they make life so much easier. Use a good solid snap and with the bad installed your coyote will be there waiting for you while any deer that puts his foot thru your snare will get away easily.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:35 PM

Have you got a good source for quality snaps TrapperMike? What kind of weight rating do they have?