Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-01-2021, 08:17 PM

Default Why does a person buy a tumbler?

So, we like clean brass. Some folk run autoloaders and brass gets dumped in the mud, some p/u range brass and have to clean it. Some like to clean the carbon deposits out of the interior and primer pockets.

Why buy a tumbler, media of various types, when you already have the means to do it in the house? The washing and dryer can do the same job, just toss it in with some rags to pad it. Can also use a toaster oven or your kitchen oven or a convection oven that you may have for doing PC bullets to dry it, if that is more suitable.

Any good reason not to?
Old 02-01-2021, 08:19 PM

My wife hates my tumbler enough as it is. If I used the washer/dryer I'd be living out of my truck...
Old 02-01-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
My wife hates my tumbler enough as it is. If I used the washer/dryer I'd be living out of my truck...
That sums it up the best.

Plus my tumblers is cheaper to replace if it gets beaten up and worn out. Not to mention a lot quieter, ever forgot a loonie in your pocket and tossed it in the wash... now imagine a hundred pieces of brass and just a couple of rags...
Old 02-01-2021, 08:36 PM

Afraid of the other sex is not a valid reason.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:40 PM

Yeah I saw Maytags right next to the Frankford Arsenals at Cabela’s the other day
Old 02-01-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
So, we like clean brass. Some folk run autoloaders and brass gets dumped in the mud, some p/u range brass and have to clean it. Some like to clean the carbon deposits out of the interior and primer pockets.

Why buy a tumbler, media of various types, when you already have the means to do it in the house? The washing and dryer can do the same job, just toss it in with some rags to pad it. Can also use a toaster oven or your kitchen oven or a convection oven that you may have for doing PC bullets to dry it, if that is more suitable.

Any good reason not to?
Because I use my tumbler on assembled rounds. Often.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Any good reason not to?
I can't decide if you are joking or serious.

So I'll answer as though you are asking seriously.

Without the media you won't clean or polish much. Trying to use polishing media in a cloths washer or dryer would ruin the machine.

There are chemical means for cleaning that require little more then a glass or plastic container and a tumbler or ultrasonic cleaner will do a far better job for a lot less cost and use a lot less power then a laundry machine.

One last thing. a tumbler will last a lot longer then a laundry machine.

I use my vibratory tumbler for brass, cleaning rocks, and deburring and polishing camera mount parts.
The media and chemicals involved would destroy a laundry machine in no time at all.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-01-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
KK, what I meant to say was I like to use the tool intended for the job.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:16 PM

Can't say as I would be putting polishing media in a washing machine either, brass mixed in with rags should polish brass ok in a washer or dryer, then again too, I'm not all that fussy about it having a super polished look. I would expect that Lemishine would work in a washing machine without hurting it, considering the things on clothing that go in there and what regular detergent will remove vs case lube or mud or carbon deposits on a cartridge case. People have exotic air dryer setups for wet tumbling, why not use a toaster, or the oven, or a dryer, won't hurt the brass or the heating method.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:18 PM

I'd like to see the look on the Maytag repairman's face at that service call.

Toaster oven could be fun with a live primer or two as well. Grilled cheese with cordite. Yum.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:46 AM

Been there done that. One day when wife was not at home, I tried to wash about 600 shotshells in the wash machine by using a laundry meshing bag. It took me a while to figure out where to put the detergent and how to start the washing machine in a light cycle without centrifugal spinning.
It started OK but halfway during the process the mesh bag got broke and the shells got out. Now, the wash machine is one of those front loader type and the brass part of the shells start hitting the glass door with every spin. The drum was full of water and I couldn't stop the damn thing. I had to go downstairs and turn off the switch on circuit breaker panel.
I think this was my last time reloading shotshells.

Last edited by Ariu; 02-02-2021 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:35 AM

OH BOY let us know how that goes for you

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:17 AM

I flatten my cans for the bottle depot. I could line them all up
and squish them with one of the 4 vehicles we have. Instead I bought a little press. Better tool for the job. Just like polishing brass there is a better tool for the job..
Old 02-02-2021, 06:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
And how long do you plan to stay married?
It's not a question of being afraid, its a question of respect.. In my humble opinion.
I myself use a vibrating Lyman tumbler yes it's noisy so I put folded towels under the unit to dampen the noise.

Last edited by trooper; 02-02-2021 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:39 AM

How many pounds of stainless pins does one need for their Maytag?
Old 02-02-2021, 07:43 AM

I use a lyman vibrating tumbler also, it sits in the garage on on old computer mouse pad with an old towel draped over the top, can't hear it in the house unless you open the inside garage door, they come out nice and shiny when you run them overnight, have had it for 35 years or so and can't see why I would change now.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:12 AM

Default Cleaning brass

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O5y_dsP3dsM

Try this if you want to speed it up
Old 02-02-2021, 10:58 AM

I bot a rubbermaid container

I put in some tumbler cleaning fluid, warm water and dump in 60 unprimed brass

I stir it around, use a neck.brush on each brass, primer pocket tool, then I rinse it all, and put it into my old dehydrator

I have clean brass. Not shiny, just clean.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:59 AM

Default Why does a person buy a tumbler?

I use a little paint thinner solvent on a rag. I wipe down the outside of the casing, then use a piece of fine steel wool, to buff down the out side of the case between my fingers, all done about 10 sec per cartridge.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
you haven't met the Bismarck...grey track pants, crocks, one eye, hairy knuckles and walks with a limp...clears the isles at Walmart

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-02-2021, 12:52 PM

Not all of us have the luxury of city water and sewage lines. Why use 50-100liters of water to clean brass? Gets expensive to haul that stuff
Old 02-02-2021, 12:53 PM

Why does a person buy a tumbler?

To clean brass cases.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Any good reason not to?
Marital Bliss.

Grizz
Old 02-02-2021, 01:39 PM

Why do we buy washing machines when we can wash our underwear in a rotary tumbler?

-Billy Molls
Old 02-02-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Why do we buy washing machines when we can wash our underwear in a rotary tumbler?
I was thinking about starting that thread. Which media is best for whites and what effect does Dillon Rapid Polish 290 have on one's wobbly bits?

Asking for a friend.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:05 AM

Like Chuck's analogy, too small though
Front loader machines I can see being an issue. But, metal buttons on jeans and etc do that too, front or top load.
Those who can't figure out how to operate a washing machine, yeesh. Washing hulls is a new one on me, that was a learning experience I'd bet.
Marital bliss, overrated. You always know where you stand when you are at the top of the chit list, or the bottom of the septic tank.
For those on wellwater, toss it in with your coveralls, save a couple of gallons of water.
I can see where tossing loaded rounds in could be an issue, or primed brass in a toaster oven, I just figure, someone who does that, wasn't quite paying attention, or just might need more a little more help, than we can give them, with their OCD.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:04 AM

Just get a hot tub and turn it into an ultrasonic cleaner.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:29 AM

I have used the dishwashing machine for my 45/100 , 45/70 and 40/65 brass as well as my brass 12 gauge cases .
However, since my wife is now retired and home everyday I have suspended that operation and use the tumbler in the garage!
Cat