Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2016, 08:42 PM

Default Yakupov trade thoughts ?

I think it was a good trade ,Peter pulled it out of a hat .
Old 10-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
I think it was a good trade ,Peter pulled it out of a hat .
They traded yakupov to make room for kris russel that's on its way to Edmonton. They gave him away just like Taylor hall was given away to make room for lucic. It's not about the return they got .

Last edited by Remtac; 10-07-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remtac View Post
They traded yakupov to make room for kris russel that's on its way to Edmonton. They gave him away just like Taylor hall was given away to make room for lucic. It's not about the return they got .
They've been shopping him for over a year. The return is his value in the market. It's a bit of an eye opener to some.
Small, really fast, directionless away from the puck and totally lacking any defensive ability at all. He should never have been the #1 pick but it is what it is. It shouldn't surprise anybody what we got for him.

Love the guy. Fun to watch but I'm glad to see him go. Hope he turns it around.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:05 PM

Ship away a guy who is -88 career (252 games) and not have to retain salary, plus get a prospect and conditional pick in return, and then sign a guy who is -8 career (573 games). Seems a prudent set of moves for a team that has lacked defence for years.

I'll give this one to Chiarelli
Old 10-07-2016, 10:06 PM

Never know how a player will turn out. Look at Daigle.

From 2012

Player Nationality NHL Team College/Junior/Club Team
1 Nail Yakupov (RW) Russia Edmonton Oilers Sarnia Sting (OHL)
2 Ryan Murray (D) Canada Columbus Blue Jackets Everett Silvertips (WHL)
3 Alex Galchenyuk (C) United States Montreal Canadiens Sarnia Sting (OHL)
4 Griffin Reinhart (D) Canada New York Islanders Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
5 Morgan Rielly (D) Canada Toronto Maple Leafs Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)
6 Hampus Lindholm (D) Sweden Anaheim Ducks Rogle BK (Allsvenskan)
7 Mathew Dumba (D) Canada Minnesota Wild Red Deer Rebels (WHL)
8 Derrick Pouliot (D) Canada Pittsburgh Penguins (from Carolina)1 Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
9 Jacob Trouba (D) United States Winnipeg Jets US NTDP (USHL)
10 Slater Koekkoek (D) Canada Tampa Bay Lightning Peterborough Petes (OHL)
11 Filip Forsberg (RW) Sweden Washington Capitals (from Colorado)2 Leksands IF (Allsvenskan)
12 Mikhail Grigorenko (C) Russia Buffalo Sabres Quebec Remparts (QMJHL)
13 Radek Faksa (C) Czech Republic Dallas Stars Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
14 Zemgus Girgensons (C) Latvia Buffalo Sabres (from Calgary)3 Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)
15 Cody Ceci (D) Canada Ottawa Senators Ottawa 67's (OHL)
16 Tom Wilson (RW) Canada Washington Capitals Plymouth Whalers (OHL)
17 Tomas Hertl (C) Czech Republic San Jose Sharks Slavia Prague (ELH)
18 Teuvo Teravainen (RW) Finland Chicago Blackhawks Jokerit (SM-liiga)
19 Andrei Vasilevskiy (G) Russia Tampa Bay Lightning (from Detroit)4 Tolpar Ufa (MHL)
20 Scott Laughton (C) Canada Philadelphia Flyers Oshawa Generals (OHL)
21 Mark Jankowski (C) Canada Calgary Flames (from Nashville via Buffalo)5 Stanstead College (HS–Quebec)
22 Olli Maatta (D) Finland Pittsburgh Penguins London Knights (OHL)
23 Mike Matheson (D) Canada Florida Panthers Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)
24 Malcolm Subban (G) Canada Boston Bruins Belleville Bulls (OHL)
25 Jordan Schmaltz (D) United States St. Louis Blues Green Bay Gamblers (USHL)
26 Brendan Gaunce (C) Canada Vancouver Canucks Belleville Bulls (OHL)
27 Henrik Samuelsson (C) United States Phoenix Coyotes Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
28 Brady Skjei (D) United States New York Rangers US NTDP (USHL)
29 Stefan Matteau (C) United States New Jersey Devils US NTDP (USHL)
30 Tanner Pearson (LW) Canada Los Angeles Kings Barrie Colts (OHL)
Notes
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-07-2016, 11:14 PM

I am an Oilers fan and say goodbye, no hard feelings. About time they moved him. Not really sure he will live up to his hype(as good as people say he is) in St Louis either. He had more than a few opportunities here.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
They've been shopping him for over a year. The return is his value in the market. It's a bit of an eye opener to some.
Small, really fast, directionless away from the puck and totally lacking any defensive ability at all. He should never have been the #1 pick but it is what it is. It shouldn't surprise anybody what we got for him.

Love the guy. Fun to watch but I'm glad to see him go. Hope he turns it around.
He should have not be the first overall pick ? I disagree , the oilers organization is to blame for yakupov not panning out , they ruined him he was stuck on the third line 90 percent of his carreer . They gave him very little time on the first or second line , he played with nobody's on the third line most of the time . Put it this way if Yak would have been the only first overall pick the Oilers had , you can bet he would have got lots of first and second line time .
Old 10-08-2016, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Oh and look who they just signed
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/o...one-year-deal/
Old 10-08-2016, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
He should have not be the first overall pick ? I disagree , the oilers organization is to blame for yakupov not panning out , they ruined him he was stuck on the third line 90 percent of his carreer . They gave him very little time on the first or second line , he played with nobody's on the third line most of the time . Put it this way if Yak would have been the only first overall pick the Oilers had , you can bet he would have got lots of first and second line time .
I don't believe it.... Anchors don't float. He had opportunities and couldn't make a go of it wherever he was with. Games are to be won not trying to find a place to fit a square peg in a round hole.
Hope he finds a fit with the Blues....lot of people will be watching and not all wanting him to fail
Old 10-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
I don't believe it.... Anchors don't float. He had opportunities and couldn't make a go of it wherever he was with. Games are to be won not trying to find a place to fit a square peg in a round hole.
Hope he finds a fit with the Blues....lot of people will be watching and not all wanting him to fail
Players that young need to develop properly with veterans . If yak would have started out his career on a team like LA, Detroit , or even a Chicago black hawks team , he would have done better
Old 10-08-2016, 08:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Players that young need to develop properly with veterans . If yak would have started out his career on a team like LA, Detroit , or even a Chicago black hawks team , he would have done better
Exactly, a team of major junior players is not going to develop NHL players...they are highly talented players but still just kids.

They need a few experienced d-men.

Now that they are out of rectum place they might have a little jump...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Exactly, a team of major junior players is not going to develop NHL players...they are highly talented players but still just kids.

They need a few experienced d-men.

Now that they are out of rectum place they might have a little jump...
Yes , it's what I been saying for a few years now
Old 10-08-2016, 08:44 AM

Excellent, Chris and I going ice fishing this year. Introduce him to living in Edmonton area. I think Calgary would be home for him. He being a Caroline, AB native. Might actually like Edmonton. Playing Lucic, Mcdavid, Eberle. Hope make playoffs.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Only 2 people on the scouting staff wanted him as the #1 one guy didn't have him as a top 5.
No direction. Won't play away from the puck. Ect. He still fits that bill. I agree Eakins screwed him over big time but if he's told over and over to play a system and doesn't that's on him.
If you expect a player to be somewhere and he's not even close the whole play breaks down. That's his story. Yeah he can shoot. .... what else? He never learned to change his game to play both ways.

I read a great quote about him. He plays like he's being chased by a swarm of bees. If you really paid attention to him you'd see its very true.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Only 2 people on the scouting staff wanted him as the #1 one guy didn't have him as a top 5.
No direction. Won't play away from the puck. Ect. He still fits that bill. I agree Eakins screwed him over big time but if he's told over and over to play a system and doesn't that's on him.
If you expect a player to be somewhere and he's not even close the whole play breaks down. That's his story. Yeah he can shoot. .... what else? He never learned to change his game to play both ways.

I read a great quote about him. He plays like he's being chased by a swarm of bees. If you really paid attention to him you'd see its very true.
Yes he had nobody to apprentice under in the NHL
Old 10-08-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Yes he had nobody to apprentice under in the NHL
There were guys for him to apprentice under. Gagner Hemsky or maybe he should have played on the farm team? Idk.

Buy if you can't learn a simple be at the half wall on a break out for a pass around the net. That speaks volumes on your ability to adapt your style of play. He wasn't being asked to be a grinder last year. He was asked to follow the plan though. He just couldn't do it.
Same as every job. If you need to be told every day to do something simple and you can't or wont do it. You'll likely get moved out.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:17 AM

I highly talented hockey player, with all the symptoms of ADHD....never knew where he was going to be, at any given ***SQUIRRELLLLL!!!*** moment. I think it was past time to move him along, he didn't fit. Maybe the right coach and team, with some vets, can get him squared away and playing to his potential. In fairness, he is not the only player on that team who has no sense of defensive play. Eberle isn't exactly a 200 foot player either.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-08-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I highly talented hockey player, with all the symptoms of ADHD....never knew where he was going to be, at any given ***SQUIRRELLLLL!!!*** moment. I think it was past time to move him along, he didn't fit. Maybe the right coach and team, with some vets, can get him squared away and playing to his potential. In fairness, he is not the only player on that team who has no sense of defensive play. Eberle isn't exactly a 200 foot player either.
I was hoping for a package deal with hall and Eberle for a stud d man when the trade rumors came out about about Hall. Another good guy that Edmonton could use to make a better team. Thing about Eberle Is he has a little value. More offensive reliably. Clutch. Can play a system but he's terrible defensively.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:13 AM

Sad to see Nail the person go, but it was time to move on from Nail the player. Hard to argue that both the player and the organization should bear some blame for his career trajectory thus far. He played for Kruger, Eakins, MacT, Nelson, and McLellan..and he was drafted in 2012...that's an awful lot of different messaging going to a kid who barely spoke English and came into the NHL at 18. Hard to be successful without any consistency...not to mention that he wasn't given much to play with in terms of talent.

He wasn't given much of an opportunity to be successful, nor did he help his own case to earn it when things got tough on him.

The oilers have mishandled talent and their personnel for years, this is just another prime example. This organization has been a mess for a long time, it's hard to watch and it doesn't seem to be getting much better.

People can say what they want, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion; but at the end of the day this was a grossly mishandled player and now we can basically look back and say that the disaster of 2011, which we all had to painfully go through during another lost season, ended up bringing us a conditional 3rd round draft pick. I don't care how much you hate Nail, that is unacceptable.

We were sold a bill of goods in 2010 on a 5 year rebuild plan that would bring us back to glory....We're about to turn over into 2017 and we are still picking in the top 5 year over year...pathetic.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:17 AM

Calgary fans were really divided on their opinion of Russel.

Many valued his leadership and shot blocking ability.
Many others felt that he blocked so many shots because he spent so much time in his own end.

As a 5 or 6, he's pretty good.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugeye View Post
i think it was a good trade ,peter pulled it out of a hat .
👍🏼👍🏼

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 10-08-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Spoken like a true believer.

The thing is though, they could have kept Hall and Nail and still signed Lucic and Russel because as of today they have a projected cap space of almost $9M. There was no "given away to make room", just "given away".

That being said, I think at this point getting anything for Nail and moving him on was probably ideal for both parties.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
There were guys for him to apprentice under. Gagner Hemsky or maybe he should have played on the farm team? Idk.

Buy if you can't learn a simple be at the half wall on a break out for a pass around the net. That speaks volumes on your ability to adapt your style of play. He wasn't being asked to be a grinder last year. He was asked to follow the plan though. He just couldn't do it.
Same as every job. If you need to be told every day to do something simple and you can't or wont do it. You'll likely get moved out.
Gagner? Really another bust had a hard time getting a job this season signed a one year deal with Columbus for about a half million , he was brought in to young at 18
Old 10-08-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Gagner? Really another bust had a hard time getting a job this season signed a one year deal with Columbus for about a half million , he was brought in to young at 18
I think he averaged 40 points a year with the oil. He's a small forward. Here's a news flash. They aren't highly valued unless they're incredible and Yak was luke warm at best.

What should have happened with him since you seem to be such a highly skilled GM?
Old 10-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think he averaged 40 points a year with the oil. He's a small forward. Here's a news flash. They aren't highly valued unless they're incredible and Yak was luke warm at best.

What should have happened with him since you seem to be such a highly skilled GM?
Highly skilled GM haha there are lots of those on 630 ched oilers now and the post game phone calls lol what a joke. Some of them have no clue lol
Old 10-08-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Highly skilled GM haha there are lots of those on 630 ched oilers now and the post game phone calls lol what a joke. Some of them have no clue lol
Lol yeah no kidding
Old 10-08-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
My brother enjoys those calls, the Eberle for Subban or Weber variety.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:25 PM

People say trade for this or that, totally oblivious to market value. It's comical what people think we should get for Eberle.... or Yak.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:14 AM

Hall is a talented hockey player when he wanted to be however was an arrogant coke head and Yak followed in his footsteps. Heard several stories about this from people I know in the serving industry. Good riddance to both imho, loving the rebuild so far.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep6matt View Post
Hall is a talented hockey player when he wanted to be however was an arrogant coke head and Yak followed in his footsteps. Heard several stories about this from people I know in the serving industry. Good riddance to both imho, loving the rebuild so far.
Diet Coke?

Both players will now develope under new organizations that are not as bunged up on rebuilding for 10 years...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...