Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2018, 03:05 PM

Default Retirement and adjustments

Looking for what others have experienced and done for the winter months. Summer I am not concerned on.

I retired from full time work in July then took a four month contract to finish a very complex project. My old role had management of staff of 500 unionized workers plus an equal number of contractors. 60 / 70 hour weeks were common as was cutting vacations short due to work requirements.

Starting in Dec the honey do list started and is getting done quickly. My old schedule was up at 4:30 and gone by 5, home by 5 / 6 with a couple of hours at the desk after dinner. My wife retired about 5 years ago and her schedule is up at 11 and to bed at 1am. This is not my schedule as I have always been an early bird and adjusting to stay quiet around the house for the mornings is not me.

I did get a new pup to train which will help out once the days start getting longer and have set up a consulting practice to do 2 / 3 days per week as I am thinking I am not quite ready to drop being active in the work force. Both the social and technical aspects still have appeal. I do not miss handling all the HR stuff and I have now started sleeping through the night.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:40 PM
Banned

Retiring takes a period to transition, that happens to everyone that I have known. I retired after 27 years in the Military and it took me about two years to adjust. The first year i’d Plan the next day by the hour......

7am - 8 am.....Breakfast/read paper
8am - 12 am....Repair fence
12am - 1 pm....Lunch
1pm - 4 pm......wash/vacuum truck

My whole day/evening was scheduled like that and I stuck to the timings or it bothered me. Someone would drop by to chat and i’d Cut it short because I had to get what I was doing done by a certain time.

Eventually, I took off my watch and stopped planning the next day, other than casually thinking about things that needed to be done. Unless it was something urgent, if I got sidetracked and did something different I didn’t panic, i’d Do it the next day or the one after that. Retirement was so much nicer.

It takes time to adjust after decades of having a busy schedule. As long as you have something to keep you as busy as you want to be, and have a reason to get out of bed in the morning, you’ll unwind and adjust in time. That’s when life gets a lot more relaxed and fun. I’ve never had the problem of being bored and i’m The best boss that I’ve ever had.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:52 PM

Retired after selling my side drilling business to my partners early 2014, before crash. I did miss working with all the guys on rig, calgary, and just being in the loop. Now almost 4 years out. Still go to Calgary visit old contacts, have coffee, and beer. However I don’t miss it anymore. Do more with my community in Edmonton area. Been busy with investments, wife (took a little adjustment for me being home) and outdoor activities. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:59 PM

Default Retirement

When you are retired, you don`t get days off
Old 02-10-2018, 05:01 PM

First off congrats on your retirement.. I would say try make sure you have some hobbies to keep busy and get involved in community work younger people need the older to mentor them. If worst comes to worst and you are bored I have a list you can work on
Old 02-10-2018, 05:07 PM

Depends on your age

I was 46

Within 3 months I was working again. Only so much piddling around i could do.

But, now i kinda miss my 3 month “piddle around” time......
Old 02-10-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Depends on your age

I was 46

Within 3 months I was working again. Only so much piddling around i could do.

But, now i kinda miss my 3 month “piddle around” time......
I am 66 and there is only so much piddling around I can do as well. I have lot's of hobbies I had put aside 20+ years ago for my career. I will be digging into these. As I am not a person to sit on the beach, I think the winter months will result in being back at a part time job of some type.

Last edited by 2 Tollers; 02-10-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:34 PM

69 and three years into second retirement, I burnt out at 55 and took 2 years off on retirement #1. This time is better, I'm more ready, I keep a to do list, update it every week or so and am gradually catching up of stuff that got neglected while working. I stay busy with hobbies, grandkids and now have redeveloped a political activism. So really it's a matter of finding what turns your crank, summer and fall for me are not the problem. The mid and late winter is when I have some boredom issues, but I know the secret for me is to get to the Y every day, think about what needs to be done and just do something!! Also I have been phoning old contacts and just talking, coffee etc. some are open to that and other are busy with other stuff.

The next steps ahead before fishing season are organizing what I want to keep, and get rid of stuff collected and not used.

The old photos etc. need organizing etc.

No lack of stuff to keep busy!!
Old 02-10-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
I am 66 and there is only so much piddling around I can do as well. I have lot's of hobbies I had put aside 20+ years ago for my career. I will be digging into these. As I am not a person to sit on the beach, I think the winter months will result in being back at a part time job of some type.
If you havent tried the beach, try it. In Cabo San Lucas there is a place called RIU Santa Fe. I think you would be well taken care of there. Just 7 days.

Come home and get a winter job if you want. But take that break just to try it.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:37 PM
Banned

the only reason I ever worked was so I could retire younger than most.

all my life I wished I didn't have to work 'cause I had so many things i'd rather do. so I worked hard at several jobs at a time and retired a few days after my 55 b'day.........NEVER looked back and NEVER have been bored for 5 minutes in the last 12 years.

the only thing i'd change is that I should have worked harder so I could have retired sooner

I never have enough time to do all the things I want to.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:52 PM
Banned

I miss the statutory holidays...........

Retirements what you make of it .

Haven't worn anything except sandals shorts and a t-shirt since Jan 3rd.

Gotta couple months to go before long pants.

Sun, sand , cervazas.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:04 PM

Retired for 3 yrs. First 2 years did my hobbies but kept up a rigorous schedule. Finally in my 3rd year starting to relax and live day to day. My dogs force me to get up and walk otherwise they lick my face off. Still visit friends at work. As with everyone else wish I would have retired 10 yrs sooner.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:22 PM

I was once told by a retired gentlemen that when it comes to retirement, never let yourself live too comfortably. Even continuing to work a few hours a week gets you out of the house and allows you to appreciate the time when you can just lay around much more. Volunteering is great for that, and the soul.

Of course, differs person-person. Some people are perfectly happy to just sit around for the rest of their lives and enjoy their retirement that way. I had four weeks off last winter where I wasn't work or in school, and by the end I was going crazy trying to find things to occupy my time. Couldn't imagine looking at 20+ years of that.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:24 PM

Been retired for a couple of years now. Last shift was in December 2015, but I had enough holiday time to stay on the payroll until late April 2016. While I miss some of the people I worked with, and still keep in touch with a few, I don't miss the B.S. Too many people trying to get ahead by stepping on whoever may get in the way - the "its all about me" crowd.

Retirement has been an adjustment - difficult at times - but I do keep busy.

Being retired I can spend more time at the fire hall, attending more emergency calls, and training. My "hobby career" has become a second career, although what little I make goes toward supplementing the pension cheques.

I also get to spend a lot more time with my scuba diving passion, as well as hiking, camping, and spending time at the range.

Mr Conservation
Old 02-10-2018, 10:05 PM

I have to spend less money. If I ever get frustrated at that fact I remember how ****ty stupid and frustrating life was like before, Suddenly being on a retirement budget ain’t so bad.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:05 PM

Default Retired

In 2016 I retired after 36 years with the same Department. I left on my terms. To many people leave for the wrong reasons. I didn't want to be like some that leave "bitter" and ****ed off at the world.

I was middle management in several units. It was a great job except the BS dealing with upper management. (Huntinstuff,you know what I mean).
It was hard to say good bye to the job that meant everything, but I knew it was time for someone else to step in with fresh ideas and thoughts.

I've since been offered several other jobs and professions. I'm still retired and loving every minute. I finally managed to get my yard looking great. I can plan fishing trips when I want. My wife is happy that I no longer work weird hours and not being home for weeks and not knowing where I'm working.

Retire when you can and enjoy every minute.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I was once told by a retired gentlemen that when it comes to retirement, never let yourself live too comfortably. Even continuing to work a few hours a week gets you out of the house and allows you to appreciate the time when you can just lay around much more. Volunteering is great for that, and the soul.

Of course, differs person-person. Some people are perfectly happy to just sit around for the rest of their lives and enjoy their retirement that way. I had four weeks off last winter where I wasn't work or in school, and by the end I was going crazy trying to find things to occupy my time. Couldn't imagine looking at 20+ years of that.
you make it sound like being retired is like being a couch potato, or sitting there watching for the grim reaper......let me tell you it will be what you make it, and the grim reaper better be fleet of foot or he won't catch some of us!
Old 02-10-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
you make it sound like being retired is like being a couch potato, or sitting there watching for the grim reaper......let me tell you it will be what you make it, and the grim reaper better be fleet of foot or he won't catch some of us!
x2
Get out and enjoy. Stubbs sounds like he has given up. There is an entire world out there that needs you to kick in the door and have a cold beer. Your to young to have an estate sale.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy 0-0-7 View Post
x2
Get out and enjoy. Stubbs sounds like he has given up. There is an entire world out there that needs you to kick in the door and have a cold beer. Your to young to have an estate sale.
I've given up? Please explain to me where you interpreted that from my post. Sounds to me like you need your glasses, old man.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I've given up? Please explain to me where you interpreted that from my post. Sounds to me like you need your glasses, old man.
have to admit js, that your post made me re read it.......retirement for many of us is not 'laying around for the rest of our lives'. it is enjoying the fruits of our many years of labours, and in my case, doing so while i still have the good health to enjoy myself. i have seen way too many people work until they are into poor health/old age, then die within a short time of retirement. i personally, did not want to be one of those.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:08 AM

Become a jiggalo ! At the very least it will get the wife wanting to go to bed earlier with you.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Become a jiggalo ! At the very least it will get the wife wanting to go to bed earlier with you.
Uh, better clarify this for everyone. Old guys can act easily confused.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jigaloo.jpg (34.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg so many women.jpg (67.5 KB, 121 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-11-2018, 09:17 AM

I had a great career - no regrets. But no hanging around the workplace or joining retired employee coffee-shop gangs or organizations for me. Re-hashing the past, or complaining about what the current employees are doing isn't very healthy! Learn to play!
There's a whole new world of opportunities and characters to meet out there - like getting on a first-name basis with every trout in the Bow River - for starters! Time to nurture some relationships with promising young people that were on the periphery of my life that I never had time for & renew my faith in the next generations - rather than steam about all the self centred ones that dominate the news.

I guess I just don't understand people who live to work!
Old 02-11-2018, 09:45 AM

^ And old guys may find the competition too stiff.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:46 AM

Some call it retirement, but I like to think that I have been self-unemployed since Aug 2009.

Only regret is the loss of the home butcher shop that I spent 20 years of blood , sweat and tears setting up for my retirement. Divorce can affect well laid plans.

But every day without Happypants is truly like winning the lottery

Last edited by omega50; 02-11-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:25 AM

^^^ Life's to short, to be miserable in retirement too!
Old 02-11-2018, 11:50 AM

I am on short final for the runway to retirement so timely thread for me. After 4 years of university and then 31 years with the same employer it is time to go.

Know first few months have some home projects to do, camping spots to visit, fish to catch and trail cameras to hang.

After that, think I may find a job for the winter then rinse and repeat.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:33 PM

My retirement starts tomorrow at 16:30 after being with the same employer since 1980. First order of business is filling some walleye tags at Gull lake then chasing turkey’s in the porkies.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy 0-0-7 View Post
In 2016 I retired after 36 years with the same Department. I left on my terms. To many people leave for the wrong reasons. I didn't want to be like some that leave "bitter" and ****ed off at the world.

I was middle management in several units. It was a great job except the BS dealing with upper management. (Huntinstuff,you know what I mean).
It was hard to say good bye to the job that meant everything, but I knew it was time for someone else to step in with fresh ideas and thoughts.

I've since been offered several other jobs and professions. I'm still retired and loving every minute. I finally managed to get my yard looking great. I can plan fishing trips when I want. My wife is happy that I no longer work weird hours and not being home for weeks and not knowing where I'm working.

Retire when you can and enjoy every minute.
Absolutely

Retirement is not being put out to pasture. The reason people think that is usually retired people are 65 plus. A stereotype

Retired means i can do as i please. I enjoy what im doing, no pressure, i do it for enjoyment rather than something i must do

People often think if they arent working, they are not doing anything. So wrong

I skidoo, clean, quad, hunt, travel, help family and friends, read, fix stuff, break stuff, cook, nap,and enjoy the stress free life. I owe nothing.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:11 PM

I'm at the point where I'm starting to really examine when I want to pull the pin. I've got over 22 years in now and could retire as early as 25 years in, OR go as long as 35 years in, depending how much of a pension I want to live off of. Pension plan is 2% per year of service of my best 5 years average salary. So, 25 years gets me 50%, 30 gets me 60%, maxes at 35 years for 70%. After 35 years I can still work, I just don't pay into the pension plan and don't accrue any more serviceable time, so other than raises upping my 5 year salary average there isn't any advantage financially to go past 35 years, and even the annual increases would be offset by indexing on the pension.

I'll be 50 years old when I have 25 years in, however my kid is just now in grade 11 so will theoretically still be in post-secondary school so going at 50 isn't really feasible. I'm already starting to plan my end game though, and am planning a transfer to a higher grade position next year to bump up my best pensionable years. It'll mean a move from Edmonton to Calgary, but the kid will be out of high school then and my wife can transfer to her Calgary office too. Being from BC, we also don't plan on staying in Alberta when we retire so transferring will allow me to sell the current house with my company picking up the moving costs, especially the real estate fees. We'll downsize in Calgary, then go from there. Just how many more years I put in down there will be the million dollar question. At least 5 in any case.

A lot of my uncertainty comes from not knowing what I'll do when I retire. I should have my finances in order, but actually staying active will be an adjustment. Quite a few of my hobbies have taken a back seat to work the last 10 years or so, and a day off now is usually spent just trying to recharge the batteries, so not very productive. I can see myself sinking into the recliner and not moving for a while, and it will take a while to adjust. That's where my concerns lie. I'm honest enough with myself to recognize that other than work, I'm not exactly a self motivated individual, and that'll be something I will have to work hard on. I am looking forward to that challenge though, lol.