Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 09:03 AM

Default Flathead Lake MT Route

Anyone here towed a tandem rig (Fifth Wheel and Boat) to Flathead Lake from Alberta.

What is the route like through Browning? What is the pass like on Highway 2, sounds like a moderate climb and descent with few issues? Travel time? Road conditions?

Any information appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
Anyone here towed a tandem rig (Fifth Wheel and Boat) to Flathead Lake from Alberta.

What is the route like through Browning? What is the pass like on Highway 2, sounds like a moderate climb and descent with few issues? Travel time? Road conditions?

Any information appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Full Disclosure, I haven't pulled a tandem rig through, but a trailer yes. Need more information about your complete route. For time being, I will assume you are going to cross at Carway? Take Duck Lake road at Babb to browning, Hwy 464, if you are. Its is a large pull to begin with, but very manageable after. The switchbacks climbs and drops on 89 are terrible with any trailer, nevermind with tandem trailer. If you are crossing at Coutts, Hwy 2 all the way, it is a pretty easy road, narrow, but relatively flat, except river valley's.

Hwy 2 through Maria's pass is pretty straight forward, some tight corners, but are manageable, some narrow spots in places, but they have been improving these roads as years go on.

Some notes, make sure your length and gvwr is legal for MT, trailer brakes are operating properly, and tires are in good shape. If you are looking to find your weakest link, this is where it will surface!

Enjoy the drive, it is a beautiful one for sure!
Old 07-16-2018, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the advice. Haven't decided on a route yet so the information is appreciated. So far it sounds like the 464 and highway 2 across glacier are manageable.

From what I have seen so far I am legal in MT if it is legal here in AB so I shouldn't have any issues in that regard and plan on making sure brakes etc. are sound before I make the trip.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:28 PM

The road around the park is too narrow and very winding for you to be pulling 2 trailers. The safe and easiest way for you is so. of Fernie on I think it is hgy. 93. Not a lot of difference as to time but a lot safer for you and the family.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:41 PM

Can't pull tandem through BC. Have talked with several who have said the best route is south to browning and across 2 between east and west glacier. Seems like a lot of Montanans pull tandem across this route?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:55 PM

Pulling tandem is a little risky through there. I'm sure if you have lots of experience then it will be fine though.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:34 PM

If your going through the carway border Xing south of cardston make sure you take the duck lake road turnoff to Browning...DONT take the highway south of st Mary’s to browning as its a goat trail and under construction.....just got back from The Flathead river/Kalispell.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:26 AM

Thanks Junkie. That was the route we were looking at as well.

Anyone tandem towed over this route lately? Travel time? Best locations for fuel, pull outs etc?

All information is appreciated.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
Thanks Junkie. That was the route we were looking at as well.

Anyone tandem towed over this route lately? Travel time? Best locations for fuel, pull outs etc?

All information is appreciated.
Browning to Columbia Falls is 90 Miles. Assume straight through will be about 1.5 hours.

Carway to browning is about 75 miles, a little over an hour.

Bank 3 hrs straight through and you should be golden. We used to do it in under 3 to Kalispell pulling the trailer. .

If you are full at Browning, you should be fine. Full at Carway will depend on your fuel tank size and consumption rates. With no info on your rig setup, driving style, habits, ect. hard to be sure. My dad's dodge v10 will barely make it because it uses more fuel and has a smaller tank, where my f350 Diesel has no problem, larger tank, better torque. Hard to answer that question. Fuel is available all along the way. Babb, Browning, east glacier, west glacier, hungry horse, Columbia falls.

There are quite a few turnouts and passing lanes along Maria's pass, use Google Earth to locate. Summit is cool, big marker to visit if you desire to. It used to be in the middle of the road, they moved it 30 yrs ago.

Best place for fuel prices is hungry horse. Fill there coming home!
Old 07-19-2018, 09:07 AM

Thanks Koulee, that was very helpful. I have a Ford Diesel as well and will be pulling a 24' fifth wheel and 17' Princecraft with 115, so really not that much heavier that many of the longer fifth wheel units out there.