Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-25-2020, 08:53 PM

Default Thumb release

I’m looking to upgrade my release and have been looking at the tru ball T. rex, I’ve got this idea in my head that I can set it and forget it wear longer warmer gloves in my stand so when the deer come in it’s just a matter of grab and go. Anyone have any experiences with thumb releases, shooting with gloves on and stalking with them attached to the d loop. These things aren’t cheap and I’m afraid it my just fall off in thick brush or just be a bit goofy to shoot with gloves on.
Old 12-25-2020, 10:00 PM

I found I was more likely to grab it wrong. Gotta keep eyes on the deer to know when you can move, so you can’t look at it off to the side to orientate your hand. If you can set it up so it’s always sitting in your line of vision, that could work. Depends on your specific stand/blind layout.

I use this thing with a Scott shark on my wrist, tucked inside. Keeps the hands plenty warm, add hot hands packs as necessary.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/11246...per-handwarmer

For stalking just use an oversized pair of mitts, keep your release inside. I don’t think you could walk around with one attached and not lose it or have it make noise but never tried
Old 12-26-2020, 09:06 AM

Default Thumb Release

I used a HotShot Vapor 3 and have a small adjustable wrist strap attached

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...1-a65b129fdd73

It holds it to my wrist really well, but then I can also remove it quickly to attach the release to the d-loop while sitting in the stand or ground blind.

For long walks or stalks I have a zipper pouch on my belt and in addition to the wrist strap I wear a 2 inch tennis sports wrist band. I can tuck the entire release under the sport wrist band and it holds the release firmly even when crawling.

I find the increase shot consistency and accuracy of using a thumb for hunting out weights all the negatives. Actually the only negative I can think of is my wrist gets a little sweaty, but now a days everything gets a little sweaty if it is warm out.

The other side of the coin is that I know guys that shoot a wrist release as good or even better than a thumb. The only way to know is to give it an honest try and judge the results. I would suggest not picking up your wrist release (or sell it ) for at least 6 months and shoot with the thumb at least a few times a week. You are not going to shoot a thumb for the weekend and immediately see results

Also if you have never shot a thumb, I would suggest watching some video's on youtube on shooting back tension with a thumb. John Dudley has some good video's.