Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-12-2020, 05:05 PM

Default Continually Twisting Peep Sight

I am having significant difficulty with the peep sight on a new-ish Mathews Traverse; writing this post to help me think through the issue and solicit advise from more experienced archers and bowyer hunters on this fourm.

I have been shooting an early 2000s Hoyt for the past 19 years or so; whilst it still works well I decided to capitalize on the nearly two decades of advancements in archery technology. 85% let-off is much nicer than the 60% my older Hoyt sports indeed!

The issue is the peep sight continually twists on the Traverse
While I know this is typically due to string stretch, the bow is well shot-in at this point and I have difficulty in believing that the factory strings are still stretching and by this much.

I have tried different styles of peeps (both fletcher and the old school tube system). Even the tube system cannot keep it straight.

I have not tried the tri-slot style, but suspect that I will just end up with it twisting on me and having a strand in the middle of my sight picture.

I have had the D-Loop moved around, retightened, replaced and enlarged as well as replaced and made smaller in a bid to resolve this with no sucess. I have chased that D-Loop all over that string and it only resolves the alignment for a dozen shots at best.

I do not believe that the centre serving is separated and twisting on the string but it perhaps could be possible?

I had my bow shop of choice put a twist in the string – did not resolve the matter. Could try more twists I suppose?

I do not believe that it is the bow itself – I mean I know everyone has their own opinions about bows but the bow felt very natural for me so went with it.

This being said with all the issues I am having I regret not getting the carbon Hoyt or Bowtech BT MagX I was looking at along with this bow.

My kids shoot Diamond Atomics and Prisms as well as a BowTech Fuel and they have had zero peep issues.

The bow was bought new from a reputable shop as was all the work on the D-Loops and string twist that I had put in…I do not believe it is the bow shops work or fault - as they are always competent and professional.

Possible solutions:
- I could replace the strings and hope that it was just string stretch in the factory strings. I am hesitant because with all the shots I have in on this bow I find it difficult to believe they are still stretching and by this much. I have replaced strings before in my older Hoyt and even the very affordable VapourTrial stings I used in it did not stretch much at all.
- New strings are almost 20% of the cost of a new Bowtech and if I have to part with this bow in order to resolve this I would rather spend the money on a new bow
- I could try strand swapping around the peep- I have never tried this before but YouTube tells me it may work!

I am considering using this as an excuse to try going peepless. Seems like an overkill solution to resolve something that ought to be resolvable. However I am considering the following peoples systems:
- Anchor Sight
- Peep Eliminator
- Bowmar Nose Button
- Perry’s No-Peep

Anyways again writing this to think though the issue and to solicit advise from others as to untried solutions or their experiences in any of these peep-less systems.

Cheers
Old 12-12-2020, 05:20 PM

Does it always twist?

I have one that will twist on hot days due to the string warming up and lengthening slightly. Indoor shoots it's always fine, most days its fine, + 28 and its turning.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:37 PM

I would try (in order of preference):

1) new strings, shoot at least 100 shots to let them settle (short range) and then finalize the peep location / string placement

2) remove the peep and go peep-less. I've shot without a peep for 25 years now, shooting first a Timberline No-peep and for the last 10 years shooting an IQ sight with the same NP tech built in.

I say try new strings first because if you're used to shooting a peep, the peep-less style does take some effort to get used to it and this could cause some frustration to someone that has never tried them. But the pluses in my mind - I'll never go back to a peep.

Here's a link to a thread about peep-less systems: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=no-peep - my input at post #7

J.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:49 PM

You could try moving a strand to the other side of the peep. If you don’t have a press, a screwdriver under the limb and let off works too (disclaimer: use at your own risk)
Old 12-12-2020, 06:13 PM

Had the same problem with my Z7. Went with an anchor site from archery innovations and never looked back.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:10 PM

Factory zebra strings? If so... replace them. Also make sure your D-loop is squared up to your peep.

LC
Old 12-12-2020, 08:55 PM

Mathews stock strings are notorious for doing this exact thing. Had it happen to my DXT back in the day, I went through 4 strings in 4 years before a former AO member pointed me towards a custom string maker, who’s strings are still on that bow 6 years later (it’s now a backup)

Most guys replace them before even starting tuning, and yes that’s with new Mathews bows. Yours is almost certainly not going to improve with any further manipulation.

Just get the new string. You’ll still have a better bow than the blowtech
Old 12-13-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Factory zebra strings? If so... replace them. Also make sure your D-loop is squared up to your peep.

LC
X2

Mathews uses Zebra strings and they are probably worst reviewed factory strings out there. Most guys that buy a Mathews factor in the cost of good set of after market.

The good news is, The Traverse is probably Mathew's most liked and highly reviewed bow to date; even better than the Z7. Guys are trying the VXR and V3 and still sticking with the Traverse. If you check Archery Talk Classified there almost none for sale.

Contact Kristine at Mean Moose strings out of Ontario and it will be the best $125 you ever spend. The Traverse is a great bow with a terrible factory string.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:17 PM

Well thank you everyone...lots of good advice

Yes - I have heard that the Zebra strings are sort of on the lower end

Will probably roll the dice on a new set of strings.....now the have to decide on what manufacturer to go with....