Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-08-2014, 09:34 PM

Default Trappin all day on the line.

I spent all day with my partner checking trapps and a 110km nothing I guess that's trapping, there was allot of lynx and bobcat right to the sets but I guess they dissent want a free meal, bever, muskrat fresh ice caught fish carcasses. I got home and the sets at home on private land 2 quarters had a really good catch 3 Yoties and a fox. I mabe shouldn't have burnt all that fuel for two sleds. You never know last check was 4 Martin and a lynx. I will try to post a few picks.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 AM

I don't know what it is but sometimes those cats just will not commit. Then on the next check it's seems they barge right in a set with no fear. Wish we had more time. I'm gonna run my sets till the end of season as would like to get at least one more.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 AM

Seems most of my winter went that way after the first trap check that got me 2 fisher and 1 marten. Lots of tree clearing and trail breaking for little cash reward but had a very enjoyable time even getting to see a lynx one day which may not seem like much but having lived 53 years in the area without seeing one it was really incredible...............
Old 02-09-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
I spent all day with my partner checking trapps and a 110km nothing I guess that's trapping, there was allot of lynx and bobcat right to the sets but I guess they dissent want a free meal, bever, muskrat fresh ice caught fish carcasses. I got home and the sets at home on private land 2 quarters had a really good catch 3 Yoties and a fox. I mabe shouldn't have burnt all that fuel for two sleds. You never know last check was 4 Martin and a lynx. I will try to post a few picks.
Here is a pic of my catch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6612.jpg (69.5 KB, 219 views)
Old 02-09-2014, 05:00 PM

Some nice lookin dogs for sure . Guess I can call them dogs , got chastised om another forum for not referring to them as "Coyotes and giving them their deserved respect ".. lol .
Old 02-12-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
I spent all day with my partner checking trapps and a 110km nothing I guess that's trapping, there was allot of lynx and bobcat right to the sets but I guess they dissent want a free meal, bever, muskrat fresh ice caught fish carcasses...
Don't know your area, but in any other than a crash cycle rabbit year, lynx are like you wandering from KFC to Mac's to Wendy's.
They are never hungry!
Consider the appeal of a freeze-dried muskrat in comparison to a fresh bunny.
Try ground beaver castor in glycerin & glycol.
Lynx seem to smell or rub on it.
I've had luck with home-grown catnip stuffed in an old work sock.

good luck.