Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 04:08 PM

Default Heading back to CFB Suffield wondering what the hunt is like these days?

I was there a about 7 years ago and was able to fill my anterless tags. Just wondering what the success rates have been the last couple of years.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:12 PM

Success Rates have dropped off due to the success of reducing the numbers of elk. Elk numbers have been cut in half last i heard but they are still there. Just be prepared for quite a bit of leg work.
Overall the organization of the hunt is better that it was when it first rolled out. Less of the wild wild west, though still not anything like wainwright. I would go again and recommend it.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:36 AM

Hunted Suffield last year we were in elk every day however we had to hike a ton of miles, We didn't see one elk from the roads guys need to get out and hike driving around all day isn't going to be very productive.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:36 AM

Access changes for upcoming hunts, no one under 18 allowed in base whether drawn or not.

https://mywildalberta.ca/hunting/gam...-elk-hunt.aspx

LC
Old 10-18-2018, 07:45 AM

Well that doesn't do a lot for our youth hunters does it. We were just talking the other day about putting my son in for a Suffield tag.

I don't get the rational here. Any minor would need to be accompanied anyways. I can guarantee my 14 year old is a far safer/responsible hunter than the group I saw in there flock shooting 30 cows over peoples heads.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
Well that doesn't do a lot for our youth hunters does it. We were just talking the other day about putting my son in for a Suffield tag.

I don't get the rational here. Any minor would need to be accompanied anyways. I can guarantee my 14 year old is a far safer/responsible hunter than the group I saw in there flock shooting 30 cows over peoples heads.
Liability if a minor was injured..likely groups like you described are the cause for the change and not the minors themselves. The base calls the shots on this hunt, whoever is in command can do what ever they want including cancelling the hunt at any time.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 10-18-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuleDeerChaser View Post
Success Rates have dropped off due to the success of reducing the numbers of elk. Elk numbers have been cut in half last i heard but they are still there. Just be prepared for quite a bit of leg work.
Overall the organization of the hunt is better that it was when it first rolled out. Less of the wild wild west, though still not anything like wainwright. I would go again and recommend it.

Your analysis is correct. There is significant improvements in the organization of the hunt than it was in years past.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:32 PM

hunted there last year in the second week. the key is getting drawn for the NWA. we spotted two "small" herds from the roads as we weren't lucky enough to get drawn to hunt in that area... one of the herds had 50(only cows) and the other of 300ish... the bulls in that herd were very small. i took a small 4x4 and the biggest one in there was a small 5x5. numbers were wayyy down from years past but heard from many hunters there was a herd of 2000 hiding out in the NWA. Not very many good bulls in that herd either. the trophies are gone if thats what you're looking for, however the meat tasted delicious.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post

Hunted there once and it was a gong show, stay on black tracks with vehicles so we hunted on foot just to have some slob body by in thier truck...and the shooting starts....too many...too much....it definitely was not the hunters with kids....but it's the bases decision how they handle the heards of hunters...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...