Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-06-2017, 08:30 PM

Default Mule Deer Advice Needed

I've got a few questions about hunting mule deer. There's a couple real nice bucks in an area I frequent. Do mule deer respond to rattling like whitetails? Are there any calls for mule deer? Anybody have any tips or advice they can share on hunting mule deer? Do mule deer rut at the same time as whitetails do? Does anybody use mule deer doe urine?

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 10-06-2017, 08:50 PM

First off you have to be drawn for mule deer.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:51 PM

Lots of WMUs that have general archery seasons...
Old 10-06-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
Lots of WMUs that have general archery seasons...
My bad, he didn't specify that he was bow hunting.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:10 PM

Sorry yes I am bow hunting. In a WMU with general antlered/antlerless mule deer.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:02 PM

What sort of terrain are you hunting?

In the coulees your best bet is to watch them for the morning and wait for them to bed... Spot and stalk is going to be the most effective strategy out there.

The same could be said for northern muleys as long as you can keep your eyes on them. If not you'll have to cut them off when they are done feeding in the mornings or before they start feeding in the evenings.

As for grunting and rattling, I haven't tried it before the rut... It might start to be effective as we get closer to October.

Good Luck! Hope this helps...
Old 10-07-2017, 12:35 PM

The terrain is a mix of coulee and trees with thick under growth. I've been attempting spot and stalk. So far unsuccessfully lol but it sure is fun trying. I'm trying to see if anybody has any other tactics or methods to mix it up.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:57 PM

I'll give you my 3 years of failure in the flat stubble fields I hunt. It is full of does and I usually don't see a buck til mid/late oct. rattling will attract does, grunting will work on bucks, haven't had luck with scents. If not full rut, a deer other than your target deer will usually pick you off first. Muley's have unreal hearing...they know your comin unless you walk like snail. They have no rhyme or reason, if you think they are going to take the left trail, they will take the right! Full rut is different, they walk around like 80yr old zombies. Find the does first, then look for the big guys. I picked up an ultimate predator decoy that mounts to your bow, I'm hoping this does the trick this year. If you want to DM me and I'll give you distributors number in strath county.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:20 AM

The ultimate predator decoys look pretty awesome. I will definitely look into those.
Do the mule deer rut at the same time as whitetails?

Old 10-08-2017, 11:09 AM

I have seen success rattling for mules just like whites. If they are rutting, it may work. Worth a shot. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
First off you have to be drawn for mule deer.
There are a few WMU's with general Antlered tags available for rifle season.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:13 PM

I find they will hang out in groups all through November, all coming out to feed. last week of the month is when the bucks will be alone patrolling. To clarify my first post, I say failure but I have had smaller bucks as close as 5 yards, but I always find a big deer in my spot and go for broke on the that deer. Huge snafu last year on November 30th when I had an encounter with the big guy.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:31 PM

Yes they both species rutt about the same time. Usually younger deer are more likely to come in to calls, grunts etc. At least what I've experienced. Mid October seems to be when the bucks start to show some mild interest/action but a while before rutt is in full. I called in both muley and whites with a dow bleat last year, whitetail stood long enough for me to find out my shooting stick was jammed, fiddle with it, finally got bored and started to leave, I threw a hurried bleat and he perked right back up and came a few more hurried steps closer. Stood looking for the doe so I could get set and get him. Very considerate guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2017, 11:27 AM

I've rattled in mulies. If I can do it, anyone can.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:15 PM

I had one come into my coyote howl once, pretty much says it all about my howling skills.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:43 AM

Rabbit distress call, lol. In all seriousness though, in my experience, mule deer will come to almost any sound. I’ve called them in with deer, cow elk, rabbit distress calls, just grunting on my own, etc. I don’t know wha it is about them, either they are curious and want to see what is going on or maybe the high tone sounds make them think that another deer is in trouble and they want to help (I know sounds weird), but there is gotta be something. My cousin hunts mulie does for meat exclusively with his rabbit distress call and he is successful 4 out of 5 times. True story.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:49 AM

I've rattled and called in dozens of mule deer here in Sask. They respond very well especially during the rut which starts normally a couple weeks before the whities here.

I've also had herds of mules run in while hunting coyotes in the winter, especially with fawn in distress...
Old 01-12-2018, 01:02 AM

My first year out hunting I had a decent size Buck walk right into 30 yards from me from his bed on the other side of a coulee in the SE corner of AB. Of course I didn't have a tag, but he walked right down to the creek in the bottom. I rattled some more, and a few grunts and he walked straight towards me. It was literally my first time trying it ever. So could be beginners luck, but you could tell he was extremely interested.
I was trying for a WT buck that I knew was around in the same area. I just kept calling to see if it would work. It was probably my first really cool experience out hunting.
I went bow hunting in the same area this year. And we found a literal Jackpot of Mulie bucks. At Least 12 bucks all bedding up in a shallow coulee within 200 yards of a road. A couple really nice sized ones too. I tried Spot and stalk, and got really close to getting one. But realized I need more practise with my bow from the knees, and other positions. So I didn't try a shot. Got a doe though. I was sitting in front of some buckbrush next to a slew, and she walked up to within 15 ft, looking directly at me. That ASAT leafy camo works great. I was on a tiny stool just sitting there. Had birds land right next to me, and had an owl almost go for my head with that suit on while just walking back to the truck.lol And I've had does see me with that suit on, only to come as close as 20 yards with this confused, curious look. Really made me a believer in that camo.
Anyways back to the point. It was also during the rut when I rattled that Mulie in. So whether it was luck or not, it did work...

PS, didn't shoot the doe while she was looking right at me. I put an arrow through her lungs, when she turned, and started feeding.