Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 04:11 PM

Default Antelope Scouting

I am planning an antelope hunt for the upcoming fall, probably to Northern Wyoming. I am considering heading down to take a look at potential areas some time before the application deadline (february works best for me). My question for those who are familiar with antelope behavior is:

How useful would this info be? Can I expect to see them back in the similar area come October? Or will they be hundreds of miles away?
Old 01-10-2018, 04:34 PM

If the antelope in Wyoming are anything like here they can migrate a ways to wintering grounds
Old 01-10-2018, 05:44 PM

A friend and I hunted them in Wyoming in August 2015. We used Forbes Outfitting out of Kaycee Wyoming. We flew into Casper and rented a car the rest of the way. The hunting was great but decoying wasn't an option. So I sat a black ground blind in crazy hot temperatures for 37.5 hours (3 days) until I shot my goat. My buddy tagged out in the first 4 hours. They had an incredible amount of land to hunt and multiple water holes to choose from. When I arrowed my goat he was at the edge of a small lake and bounded into the water after I smacked him! I put the cooler lid out to signal the guide and my friend, and when they showed up it was a swimming trip to retrieve my goat! He passed immediately from a heart shot but floated out about 200 yards. We seen a ton of antelope on that trip, shot 2 great bucks and seen some ground hogs that must have been 15 pounds. Man they were big! I'd definitely go again, beautiful country.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:19 PM

Other than seeing the country and meeting some locals, I don't think there would be any benefit to scouting then.

The bucks will be hornless and all the animals will be on winter range.
Much of our pronghorn populations will be south of the border, the remaining animals could be a long way from their summer home.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-11-2018, 01:48 PM

Thanks everybody.

We will see how the cabin fever is doing in February, might be a medically necessary trip regardless of the scouting potential.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Other than seeing the country and meeting some locals, I don't think there would be any benefit to scouting then.

The bucks will be hornless and all the animals will be on winter range.
Much of our pronghorn populations will be south of the border, the remaining animals could be a long way from their summer home.
Will they migrate south across the border from Alberta? (never hunted them, but have a priority 9)
Old 01-11-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
Will they migrate south across the border from Alberta? (never hunted them, but have a priority 9)
A common occurrence. The closer they are to the Montana border the more predictable that migration occurs .. especially with heavy snow at this end.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
Thanks everybody.

We will see how the cabin fever is doing in February, might be a medically necessary trip regardless of the scouting potential.
That’s the right attitude

Never hurts to go somewhere and take a look. I hope you go