Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Give me a minute and I'll post the discussions in another thread.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:02 PM
bubbasno1

New thread started.

Bubba
Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Administrator

It's posted in its own thread on this forum.
Can we please keep discussion for it there
Old 03-04-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Morton: Today hunting also has an important commercial value to our province. Hunting tourism: we have not reached our potential there, and I’m sure this government will look forward to doing more in that respect. Thousands of hunting tourists come to Alberta every year to hunt and fish, and of course many others come just to enjoy the wildlife, which are supported by the kind of habitat we’re talking
This was pulled from the Hansard information that Rob posted on a different thread, and is a quote made by SRD Minister Morton.

Now does anyone see an issue and a conflict of interest with there being a Minister appointed Director for APOS, that is also in positions of influence with AHEIA (President) and HFT (Chairman) being involved with Open Spaces? "Hunting tourism" sounds like a good way to describe what APOS caters to and how their membership makes a living. Keep connecting the dots.....

Last edited by Duk Dog; 03-05-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:41 PM

Anyone here from the Cochrane area that can give a heads up to the article in the latest Cochrane Eagle paper. I heard Ted Morton is interviewed and says he wants to stay on as Minister of SRD for 10 months so he can get the new Land Use Deal through. Contents of the Land Use Deal won't be made public until mid or end of April?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:55 PM
sheephunter

Found a spot where he credited his success in the election to the LUF prioritizing watershed and recreation as the priority uses of the eastern slopes but that's all I see. No mention of anything you mentioned in this article. I'll check the other paper.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:56 PM

I just recieved a call and will have it on my fax in the morning and I'll update this.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:00 PM
sheephunter

It was in the Cochrane Times, not The Eagle...all I see is where he said he wanted to remain minister of SRD to see LUF though...(that was a paraphrase) No mention of OSA and no timeframe as to how long he wanted to continue as minister.

PM your fax number, I can send it right now if you like.

Last edited by sheephunter; 03-05-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:08 PM
sheephunter

Only other thing he says is that details on LUF will be available later this spring....nothing earth shattering that I can see.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:53 PM
sheephunter

Here's the article....I just scanned the part about Morton...the first part was about Janis Tarchuck and was too big to scan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img044.jpg (49.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
nothing earth shattering that I can see.

Quote:
No mention of OSA

By the way thanks to the person who did send me clarification.
http://www.cochranetimes.com/News/381824.html
Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 AM
sheephunter

Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 AM
bubbasno1

Default Lethbridge Herald

Bullshooter posted article.

Bubba
Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 AM

Default Lethbridge Herald - Front Page

http://www.lethbridgeherald.com/article_10042.php

From LethbridgeHerald.com

Top Story
Hunters have sights set on Open Spaces
By RIC SWIHART
Mar 6, 2008, 21:57

Open Spaces Alberta: Alberta’s New Cultural Policy is ringing up positives from the arts world to recreationists.
But it has run into a brick wall with the world of hunting in Alberta.
Ted Morton, Minister for Sustainable Resource Development, has been pursuing a pilot project he feels will assure Albertans greater access to the wildlife resource while providing landowners some degree of compensation.
The brick wall widened in late February.
Morton, in the middle of his election campaign, addressed the Alberta Fish and Game Association conference in Edmonton — the Liberals had been excluded — to reveal his two-part proposal scheduled to begin this fall.
One is the Recreational Access Management Program. The other is Hunting for Habitat Program.
Southwestern Alberta is at the heart of the debate. The pilots are scheduled for Alberta Wildlife Management Unit 108, which runs from near the County of Lethbridge Airport in a triangle to the American border running along Highways 4 and 5.
The other is Unit 300, which is anchored by Cardston on the northeast, running along the southern boundary of the Blood Reserve, north along that boundary to near Glenwood, west to near the forest reserve and then angling southeast along the northern boundary of Waterton Lakes National Park.
In the Recreational Access Management Program, large private landowners will be compensated $10 to $20 per user day by the government, to a maximum of 100 days per section, “for providing recreational access for hunting and fishing for free to the public.”
For the same access, the Hunting for Habitat Program will compensate private landowners with wildlife tags from resident allocations which they can sell to resident hunters or to outfitters who can then re-sell the tags to guide non-resident Canadians, or non-resident aliens.
Brian Dingreville, president of the Lethbridge Fish and Game Association, came out swinging.
“I would pay for full-page advertisements to stop this plan,” Dingreville said. “This must be stopped.”
Maurice Nadeau of Edmonton, the Alberta association president, said the greatest risk is both proposals would entitle landowners — who would be required to enrol in the program — to receive money from hunters.
Nadeau points out it is illegal for a landowner to charge money for access to land for the purpose of hunting or fishing.
“The fish and game membership views the Open Spaces Project as privatization of Alberta’s wild resources, something the association vehemently opposes,” said Nadeau. “Just as we opposed the ill-fated decision to allow privatization of wildlife, game farmers, no good could come of it, and now our wild ungulates face huge health risks.”
Nadeau said the association has no objection to landowners being recognized for good habitat stewardship and providing sports people access to their lands.
“We would suggest that tax incentives could be one of the tools by which this happens,” he said.
Two political parties have come out strongly opposed to the paid-hunting plan.
Lethbridge East Liberal MLA Bridget Pastoor said nothing in the hunting pilot programs fits in with Liberal plans.
“We wanted to tell Fish and Game of our vision to protect Alberta’s natural wonders,” said Pastoor.
Wildrose Alliance leader Paul Hinman, who represented both pilot wildlife management areas, has also campaigned against the pilot projects. He was narrowly felled in the Alberta election by Tory Broyce Jacobs.
Paid hunting is a right in several states in the United States, including Montana.
In December, Morton led a delegation from Alberta to Helena, Mont., and on to Utah to gauge the hunting laws and programs, said Alan Charles of the Montana Fish and Wildlife Department.
Charles, in charge of the wildlife block management program, said charging a hunter a fee to access their land is a right in Montana.
But that doesn’t make it right, he said.
About 20 years ago, Montana launched its block management program to offset the impacts of pure paid hunting.
Using state funds, landowners can register annually with the block management program. Those registering agree to allow hunters and fishermen access to their land, tempered by common-sense rules the landowners wish to safeguard their land resource.
Compensation from the state fund is based on hunter days for each parcel registered. The compensation is $10 per hunter day to a maximum of $12,000 a year.
“Last year 1,250 landowners enrolled in the program,” said Charles.
Those landowners controlled about 8.5 million acres. The majority of that land was private. Some state and federal lands were included, he said.
A bonus for the participating landowners is an annual hunting and fishing licence. The state also provides public liability for hunters accessing landowner lands.
The average block payout last year was about $3,000.
“We wanted to find a way to preserve traditional hunting where hunters would not have to pay a fee to hunt,” he said. “We also wanted to recognize that it is a privilege for hunters to come on private land.”
Darrel Rowledge of Calgary, a political scientist and spokesman for the Alliance for Public Wildlife, said Morton’s Open Spaces proposal comes down to a matter of economics.
At the heart of the crisis is a failure to solve the financial ills of the agriculture industry and providing a pay-to-hunt policy is only an attempt to pour more money into the agriculture industry. It could, however, decimate the province’s wildlife resource at a time when it is government’s burden to protect that resource, he said.
Hunting and fishing have become another major industry in North America, said Rowledge.
In the U.S., it is worth $120 billion a year in first-time spending. In Canada, it is worth $12.1 billion, a figure which nears the $12.3-billion financial contribution of the agriculture sector to the nation’s gross domestic product.
Rowledge said paid hunting and fishing will remove the sport realities.
Fishing can be made simple. Just use dynamite and the fish will float to the surface. Compare that with money-spending fishermen who use hooks and flies in the real sport of fishing.
And paid hunting is a guarantee of game. Traditional hunting keeps the masses coming back hoping for game.
Rowledge said traditional hunting and fishing is the best way the wildlife resource can be maintained and even controlled.
Bob Scammell, a fish and game supporter, said critics immediately warned no matter where the money comes from, the programs add up to paying for access to land that is unlawful under The Wildlife Act.
It would mean paid-hunting programs that will actually close hunting spaces for ordinary resident hunters and open them to wealthy foreign shooters, he said.

© Copyright by LethbridgeHerald.com
Old 03-06-2008, 09:33 AM
sheephunter

Good article Mike...thanks for posting......good to see a reporter actually get all the facts right.....something we haven't seen much of from the media in regards to this issue.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Banned

Great to see this finally making some front page news.

I'd love to see the Calgary Herald/Edmonton Journal pick up this story.

Anyone with a contact at either paper?

Does anyone know Rick Shwiart? Perhaps his piece could be submitted directly to the Calgary/Edmonton papers?

The bigger the audience that's exposed to the OSA issue, the better off we all are.

Waxy
Old 03-06-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
Great to see this finally making some front page news.

I'd love to see the Calgary Herald/Edmonton Journal pick up this story.

Anyone with a contact at either paper?

Does anyone know Rick Shwiart? Perhaps his piece could be submitted directly to the Calgary/Edmonton papers?

The bigger the audience that's exposed to the OSA issue, the better off we all are.

Waxy
Kudos to the Lethbridge Herald.

Not sure how the Calgary Herald version would read. Their front page article today is about sterilizing wolves so that hunters will have more elk to shoot. ("Wolves targeted to boost elk hunt") I can only imagine how that comes across to the many non hunters reading the paper.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 03-06-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:08 AM
SNIPER

Nice to see. Just wish it was in the paper a week ago.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
Nice to see. Just wish it was in the paper a week ago.
I agree Sniper. I think some of us are pretty close to the Open Spaces issue and I know some were pretty disappointed with the election results in light of the OS proposal.

Open Spaces was NEVER an election issue and I don't think it ever had the potential to be an election issue. These are my thoughts. I did, however, find that the election did provide an excellent vehicle to inform many of the candidates about dangers of Open Spaces and the lack of transparency in its formation. I am very confident that we were able to get this message out and that it was well received. Premier Stelmach has committed this back to Caucus and I am much more comfortable with his promise versus the direction it had been heading.

On a go-forward basis, we have an excellent window of opportunity to further inform our elected representatives to the dangers of the privitization of a public trust. Regards, Mike
Old 03-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Shooter View Post
I agree Sniper. I think some of us are pretty close to the Open Spaces issue and I know some were pretty disappointed with the election results in light of the OS proposal.

Open Spaces was NEVER an election issue and I don't think it ever had the potential to be an election issue. These are my thoughts. I did, however, find that the election did provide an excellent vehicle to inform many of the candidates about dangers of Open Spaces and the lack of transparency in its formation. I am very confident that we were able to get this message out and that it was well received. Premier Stelmach has committed this back to Caucus and I am much more comfortable with his promise versus the direction it had been heading.

On a go-forward basis, we have an excellent window of opportunity to further inform our elected representatives to the dangers of the privitization of a public trust. Regards, Mike
I completely agree Bull. It was a non-issue as far as the election goes.

I just have this overwhelming feeling that the VAST majority of hunters are still unaware of OSA. Unless you've visited this forum or you're real close to the action, you're just not going to be aware of it, how could you be?

Pressure on MLAs is the key now, no doubt, but in order to get that pressure, we have to get the word out and make everyone aware of OSA. Raising awareness is the single biggest issue right now the way I see it. The more people that are aware of OSA, the more people there will be opposed to OSA, and the stronger the voice of opposition will be.

Waxy
Old 03-06-2008, 12:01 PM

Not an election issue? Considering how small Jacobs margine of victory was over Hinman and when you look how hard the PC's went after this riding(Including Ted Mortons OS talk/fundraiser for Broyce), I would not be so quick to assume that the very small group of people who stood to benefit from this program, did not make their presence felt at the polls. I highly doubt Ted Morton has ever done or said anything that was not part of his politcal agenda.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:14 PM
SNIPER

Quote:
I completely agree Bull. It was a non-issue as far as the election goes.

Waxy
I agree, it was a non-issue in the big picture. But in the Hinman/ Jacobs riding, where 39 votes made the difference, this article only had to sway 20 voters and we would have had one more voice in the leg showing disapproval of OS. Not Jacobs," vote me in and we will see" voice.

Last edited by SNIPER; 03-06-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Banned

I'll stand corrected on the Hinman/Jacobs riding, but honestly, as far as the rest of the province goes, I'd be surprised if anyone even knew what OSA is, let alone based their vote on it.

Waxy
Old 03-06-2008, 12:51 PM
SNIPER

Quote:
I'll stand corrected on the Hinman/Jacobs riding, but honestly, as far as the rest of the province goes, I'd be surprised if anyone even knew what OSA is, let alone based their vote on it.

Waxy

Agreed
Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Waxy

It's a moot point now.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy ike View Post
It's a moot point now.
That was kinda my point -

I don't think we should be hang dog or upset about the election results, they aren't really a reflection of OSA or of all the efforts that were put in to fight OSA. I think a heck of a job was done by everyone involved in raising awareness and getting results on an issue that in all honesty wasn't real crucial to the PCs election hopes.

Now we need to take that momentum and the inroads we've made and see this thing through as it heads back to caucus...

Waxy
Old 03-06-2008, 04:16 PM

Default Hunting and Fishing Act

To those in this thread that have been talking about the proposed hunting act. The process started when Cardinal was minister,nothing happened. Minister Coutts requested the AFGA to draft a discussion paper. The paper was authored by myself, and peer reviewed by most of the other hunting fishing and trapping groups. It was again presented to Minister Morton, and then there was a motion by Len Mitzel, MLA for Cypress Riding to the legislature. Currently where it stands is that it would have to be brought to the house as a bill, and if passed would become law. The working title was the Alberta Heritage Hunting, Angling and Trapping Act or what ever the minister chooses.

The Liberals at the time in Hansard gave the motion a bit of a rough go.

Coincidentally, the minister did not give a campaign speech to the AFGA conference, he gave an address on what the department has done. The Minister in charge of Fish and Wildlife, has always been invited to address the conference regardless if there is an election or not, and this is what the Liberal Campaign manager was told. It was the AFGA's 100th Anniversary Conference and not the Alberta Provincial Election Conference. That is why the Liberals were rejected.

Also the OSA resolution was soundly defeated unanimously, by the conference delegates.

My 2 cents.

Quentin Bochar
1st VP, AFGA
Old 03-06-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
It was in the Cochrane Times, not The Eagle...all I see is where he said he wanted to remain minister of SRD to see LUF though...(that was a paraphrase) No mention of OSA and no timeframe as to how long he wanted to continue as minister.

PM your fax number, I can send it right now if you like.
sheep hunter I only asked for verification not that it mentioned OSA.
However if you get a chance to read The Cochrane Eagle, March 05
Read the last paragragh.
http://www.cochraneeagle.com/index.p...llnews&id=4024

Last edited by bruceba; 03-06-2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: added link
Old 03-08-2008, 10:16 AM
SNIPER

Nice to see Don Meredith writing about Open Spaces. He is one of 3 outdoor writers who have openly written his view of Open Spaces. Spreading information helps.

http://donmeredith.wordpress.com/200...aces-stumbles/
Old 03-08-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Not an election issue? Considering how small Jacobs margine of victory was over Hinman and when you look how hard the PC's went after this riding(Including Ted Mortons OS talk/fundraiser for Broyce), I would not be so quick to assume that the very small group of people who stood to benefit from this program, did not make their presence felt at the polls. I highly doubt Ted Morton has ever done or said anything that was not part of his politcal agenda.
That race was going to be close from the get go. I'll tell you though, you and 1 others comments and mistruths about Broyce and his religion on this very forum made undecideds swing to vote in Broyce's favour. It made the decision easy for them.