Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 07:17 PM

Default Tracking down Hunter Training Certificate

So who else is in the same Boat as myself with not having their original Hunting certificate to prove they did the course years ago .
I know i did mine in Junior high and have hunted every year since.

The dilemma is i want to go Hunt BC Turkey and this is a requirement. I may be faced with doing the course again and pay the $100 or whatever it is to obtain a certificate of proof...
Old 12-11-2018, 08:14 PM

Did mine in junior high as well. I'm 42 now.....
Went to AHEIA to get a copy of it and they had no trace of me ever doing it and their records only went back to when I was about 30....
They told me to retake the course and I laughed. They would not help me out at all.
All I needed it for was to get my license in Washington state to hunt in the USA.
I wasn't very impressed with AHEIA for that.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:57 PM

My situation was different than your's but when I moved to BC 10 years ago, I needed proof of my Hunter Safety Training. I had taken mine in Manitoba when I was still in school. I contacted the Manitoba Wildlife Federation and they had a copy of my training dated 1969. For $20 they sent me a plastic card stating the info needed.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:34 PM

This was the same situation I faced, knew I took the course in junior high maybe even a little more recently then you 😜. Contacted AHEIA as I needed it for Saskatchewan but I was not in there system. Paid the $80 sat through the 6-7 hours or useless slides and re-wrote the test.

To be honest they should make this hunters education a giant tutorial on how to read the regulations and understand it and leave the PAL courses to teaching firearm safety and parts of a gun. Seems to be a lot of people who struggle with understanding rules these days 😟
Old 12-11-2018, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Did mine in junior high as well. I'm 42 now.....
Went to AHEIA to get a copy of it and they had no trace of me ever doing it and their records only went back to when I was about 30....
They told me to retake the course and I laughed. They would not help me out at all.
All I needed it for was to get my license in Washington state to hunt in the USA.
I wasn't very impressed with AHEIA for that.
I still have mine from Jr high many moons ago. When Alberta Realm started up I called them as my certificate had no numbers at all to enter in the system. The lady on the phone just told me to give her a rough month and year that I completed the course and enter those numbers.

I thought that was a pretty big crock as anybody could make up a couple of numbers.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
I still have mine from Jr high many moons ago. When Alberta Realm started up I called them as my certificate had no numbers at all to enter in the system. The lady on the phone just told me to give her a rough month and year that I completed the course and enter those numbers.

I thought that was a pretty big crock as anybody could make up a couple of numbers.
At least they worked with you. I blasted the lady pretty good about my situation and will not ever think highly of AHEIA ever! Bunch of crooks in my mind.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:59 AM

Luckily I still have my certificate from junior high. I think it's a lot to ask of a non-profit organization to keep your records for you from 30+ years ago. Nothing would have been computerized back then.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:51 AM

Nice to see how many of us got to do it as part of junior high school. Although it does seem to age us all, doesn't it!
Old 12-12-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Nice to see how many of us got to do it as part of junior high school. Although it does seem to age us all, doesn't it!
Agreed, It was one of the few classes I actually looked forward to!!
Old 12-12-2018, 11:55 AM

I had this exact problem last year needing my number I contacted them since it had been over 20 years ago they could see on file that I completed the course I was issued a new Number with a certificate and created my BC FIWP Number.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Agreed, It was one of the few classes I actually looked forward to!!
Yep. I also remember having a fly tying option.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Was never an option when I was in school. I firmly believe it should be a mandatory class for everyone as well as the basic PAL training and test. Perhaps people wouldn't be so scared to things if they actually knew how to use them safely.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-12-2018, 12:53 PM

My dad was a junior high teacher who taught outdoor ed and the hunting course at a school in Edmonton. Back in the 70’s and 80’s he would bring deer or moose that he shot to the school to teach gutting and butchering and whatnot. Could you imagine if a teacher did that in today’s world Hahaha.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
My dad was a junior high teacher who taught outdoor ed and the hunting course at a school in Edmonton. Back in the 70’s and 80’s he would bring deer or moose that he shot to the school to teach gutting and butchering and whatnot. Could you imagine if a teacher did that in today’s world Hahaha.
Could you imagine the tantrum all the snowflakes would have!!!
Old 12-12-2018, 01:18 PM

Had the same problem, I can see that when I took it in jr high there was no computers to make it easy but if it is required for liscencing it should be required that they keep proper records . Hunters Ed camp was a blast back in the day tho.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:23 PM

Yep, our whole class took it when I was in school and the teacher brought in a gun to show us.

Things have changed. One of my friends used to bring his shotgun to school on the bus, put it in his locker then take a different bus to his friends house for the Sat hunt. Don't think that would go over too well these days.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Yep, our whole class took it when I was in school and the teacher brought in a gun to show us.

Things have changed. One of my friends used to bring his shotgun to school on the bus, put it in his locker then take a different bus to his friends house for the Sat hunt. Don't think that would go over too well these days.
This is Alberta culture, just like Quebec has there own culture,

Funny how older guys have gun culture in there background, and now younger guys don't, unless there parents passed on the gun culture,
Old 12-12-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
So who else is in the same Boat as myself with not having their original Hunting certificate to prove they did the course years ago .

The dilemma is i want to go Hunt BC Turkey and this is a requirement. I may be faced with doing the course again and pay the $100 or whatever it is to obtain a certificate of proof...
I was in a similar boat. Wanting to hunt in Maui. Took my course only 14 years ago and no record!? I just finished the online course. Bit the bullet and got it done. I actually learned a couple things too! Worked out in the long run. Happy hunting.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post

Ya Lane we also had Gun Racks in the back window of our trucks or trunk of the car.
I think there was so much more value added in the hands on Hunter Training course in the Good Ol days. Everything in our lives for training at work is also "Computer Based Training".. Once you pass your now an expert on all of them lol.

My Teacher taught Hunter ed as well. He also took us out Duck hunting. So much respect for Mr Lemke. I repaid him about 6-7 yrs ago and took him on a Pheasant hunt..
Cant get those memories from a Computer course. Also we got the book that came with it, i doubt that happens now..

The upside of this i have some great old pics and stuff digging through old photo albums and Boxes that were covered in dust..
Old 12-12-2018, 08:42 PM

I just got mine in the mail. I did the course in 89 and had the original to prove it but it did not have a certificate number on it. I contacted AHEIA and sent them a picture of the original and they sent me a new one with a number on it. I know that doesn’t help the guys that lost theirs.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:23 AM
Banned

I needed to get mine for next year going to hunt couse deer and antelope I just ended up re doing course it was faster and easier then complaining to aehia
Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 AM

I took mine in 1987, still had the card and the certificate but they didn’t have any numbers back then. Sent an email to AHEIA with a picture of my card and they mailed me a new card and certificate with a number on each that matches.

I have heard if you know the name of your instructor and you can reach them...still with us??? They can call and vouch for you and they will issue a card.

LC
Old 12-13-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post

When did they start that nonsense? I hunted BC turkeys a few times yrs back and all I ever did was buy the license on the phone.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:29 PM

I think the past 2 years Troller but don't quote me. I was invited on this Hunt and finally it lines up on my days off.
I found my Orange hunter training badge but thats it.
Honestly though if theres record of myself buying a Hunting licence since i was 14 yrs old and im 53 now there should be no question im a legit educated hunter that always required the licence and for the dollars i have spent on licences every year that a little hunter training card would no issue to obtain without all the hastle .
Old 12-14-2018, 05:47 AM

I think AHEIA is as helpful as they can be. My brother and I took our Hunter Ed courses back in 1968, all we had were the old wallet cards for proof. Sent a copy of them to AHEIA, had new certificates and Cards in hand in three days. She had also said that if we took it in school we could provide a copy of a report card to prove it,, but we took ours through the Edmonton Fish and Game.

If you have absolutely nothing for them to work with and you took the course more than 20 years ago, I don't really see that as their problem.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:06 AM

Ya its a learning experience for sure.
If i have to retake the course so be it. I also think i would like to do some volunteering for Hunters Ed for new Hunters Young and Older.

I find it rewarding to help out and maybe this is the path to connect with new Outdoors Men/Women/Youth.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:39 AM

Things must have changed..to hunt in BC all I needed was proof that I hunted in another Province..lucky I had an unused tag and license.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:23 PM

I had a similar issue 2 years ago when I turkey hunted Missouri. AHEIA didn’t have record of me doing the course 20 years ago in school. I re-did the course days before my hunt online, and they sent me a temporary copy via email, then the card came about 2 weeks later.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
My situation was different than your's but when I moved to BC 10 years ago, I needed proof of my Hunter Safety Training. I had taken mine in Manitoba when I was still in school. I contacted the Manitoba Wildlife Federation and they had a copy of my training dated 1969. For $20 they sent me a plastic card stating the info needed.
I didn't get my Hunter safety thru the school system, but I was still going to school and an instructor put on a 2 day course at the local Legion Hall. I forget the cost but it wouldn't have been much back in 1969. 1 1/2 day instruction and afternoon of last day was test. a week or so later I got a yellow paper card in the mail. That was my Hunter Safety ID card.. I carried that unlaminated card in my wallet for many years, till there was pretty much no ink left on it.