Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-16-2018, 04:23 PM

Yep I bought a pair grey pants back in the eighties. Still wearing them hunting and on my buddies trap line, although they are a wee bit tighter around the waste. lol.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Thanks for the update. That truly sucks the Big Magilla! I did find this place, it is U.S. but shipping is only $8, at least according to their website but I plan to check when I call them tomorrow. Even with the exchange they are a bit less than Ghost's pricing. Don't know about the service but one thing I will say for the Yanks is usually the service is top notch. Don't last long down there with Canadian level customer service.

https://www.galeton.com/big-bill-reg...13101-product/
I have that exact jacket and it is less than impressive. More of a glorified shirt that the buttons fall off. Love the pants and socks I ordered but this item is not of the same quality IMO.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I have that exact jacket and it is less than impressive. More of a glorified shirt that the buttons fall off. Love the pants and socks I ordered but this item is not of the same quality IMO.
I have worn that style of jacket made by Codet for decades as a light car coat in the winter. They last about 15 years each. The Codets have a double yoke on the back of the shoulders, two front breast pockets with flaps and two slash pockets for hand warming or gloves on the sides at the bottom. They have four buttons for closure and you usually had to sew them on a little better as it isn't really heavy thread holding them on. The cuffs have button closure on them as well. Like you said, they aren't lined, more like a really heavy Flannel shirt made of wool but a bit longer than a regular shirt.

Codet doesn't seem to make them anymore so I am hoping these are a pretty close match. Is the above description pretty close for the one you have?
Old 12-17-2018, 08:37 AM

Perhaps it was just not what I expected. The pants are very well made and exceeded my expectations so there may be a bit of comparison going on.

I ordered the heavy standard wool pant and they are actually too warm unless it is below -10. I also picked up the Merino wool pant which are almost as warm but lighter weight. The stitching and lining is expertly done with quality product and attention to detail. The girl on line helped with the sizing and they fit perfect. These are both 100% wool and obviously I couldn't be happier.

The jacket is more of a mass produced quality and as described is a blend of fabric. It does not fit well in spite of my on line chat as it is a little short in the arms and too big in the middle. I am by no means a seamstress, but my mother was and I know quality stitching and fabric. You had mentioned flannel shirts and I have 2 that I wear almost daily if I am out in the bush. This shirt would make an itchy substitute but I was more looking for a fall/spring jacket.

With that said, the jacket I really want is 4 times more money like a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser or alike. It was perhaps foolish on my part to expect so much for so little money. You may well like the product as it seems to match your expectations.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:59 AM
Banned

i forgot to call and cancel... and i'm still waiting...
Old 12-09-2019, 10:48 AM

Just thought I would bump this thread as I am looking at getting a pair of wool pants to replace my Columbia Expedition Ridge wool pants.

I really loved my Columbia wool pants, have had them for probably 15+ years. The bottom of the pants are starting to fray pretty badly, so looking for a replacement as these pants are unfortunately no longer available.

I have another pair of wool pants that I ordered from Cabelas about 6 or 8 years ago, these are lined wool pants (in snow camo pattern). I really love the pants, they absolutely break the wind, but are essentially too warm for anything above -5/-10 or if I am spending the day hiking rather than sitting.

So I used the Columbia pants for temps between 5 degrees and -10 and days where I would spend most of the day hiking vs. walking. So I am hoping to find something similar that aren't overly warm, but still cut the wind and keep a guy warm.

I am thinking the Big Bill 18oz merino wool on the gost website or noticed that Cabelas has a Columbia Gallatin (unfortunately only snow camo) wool pant as well.

Thought I would see what the forum members have for reviews/thoughts and also whether the shipping issues from the Gostwear website have been resolved.

Thanks

DR
Old 12-09-2019, 11:12 AM

I bought the exact set of pants, as well as one of the Red and Black Jackshirts in about Sept. I used both hunting in Nov this year and I wear the Jack Shirt almost daily as a light car coat. I am well pleased with both.

The pants fit exactly as specified but I did order one size larger and I am glad I did. I also had them shortened to 3/4" longer than I wanted them and had the seamstress leave 2" of cuff material rolled under when she hemmed them. The pant leg length shrank just about exactly the 3/4" I expected and the waist about 1/2". The waste rides higher than most pants, which I like for hunting but you need to measure the waist around your belly button rather than at the usual waist line. The attached buttons for suspenders worked very well.

The Jack shirt actually fit quite a bit on the big size. It is very easy to put a vest and sweater under it without things getting tight. Would rather too loose than too tight as I am not trying to make a fashion statement out hunting. I haven't washed it yet but even if it shrinks as much as the pants it will still be large enough.

I order these from Egli's Farm in Ontario, if you order on line the shipping is free, if you order by phone you pay shipping. I didn't know that at the time and ordered by phone. Could have saved $15 but considering the size of the order not really a big deal.

https://eglifarm.com/

I ordered from here because price was about the same, size selection actually in stock was way better and no issues with delayed delivery like Ghost seems to have.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-09-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:18 AM

First season for my new Big Bill pants was this year. Excellent pants and great room in the pockets. As Dean said the waist is quite high. I chose to keep the inseam long and hem them here so I could have some patch material. On my order they were long on shipping as they had a run on that particular size and did not have any in stock. A email direct to them to check on stock before ordering would be a suggestion so you know how long you will be waiting.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:18 PM

Where do you guys buy from? Ghost wear. Is there any where in alberta to try them on?
Old 12-09-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
Where do you guys buy from? Ghost wear. Is there any where in alberta to try them on?
Per my post above: I ordered from here because price was about the same, size selection actually in stock was way better and no issues with delayed delivery like Ghost seems to have.

https://eglifarm.com/
Old 12-09-2019, 02:09 PM

I have the 18 oz cargo and wore them all the way from hiking in Willmore to sitting in my blind working on tag soup. Extremely comfortable and warm, only qualm is that the cargo style is a little baggy, but would buy these or the non-cargo style in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Default pants

I wear the wool pants when it dips to -10 or so if I'm going to be sitting.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:22 PM

I have the 18 oz. Very warm and comfortable for walking.
The only downside for me is they are dry clean only.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:51 PM

Thumbs up Gostwear FTW

I have found the 18oz. Merino wool pants are comfortable for hiking and short stands to -15C. When it gets colder I wear the 24oz. wool pants. Haven't needed to wear a base layer with either, yet. The wife liked the Merino wool so much, she got a pair as well. Although she wears a base layer, because wool.
The cargo pants are extra roomy in the legs, I have read that the regular pants in both weights fit more like jeans. These are old school wool work/hunting pants, they ride high and hang heavy, especially when you fill the pockets with stuff. I ended up getting their suspenders to keep everything in its proper place. Cue Elmer:
They are not as wind proof as the Work King fleece lined jeans, adding a base layer would make them comparable.

Considering I request normal Canada Post shipments, all of the orders I placed with Gostwear arrived correct and in reasonable time. There was one order that had an out of stock item, I was informed the same day via e-mail with a request for instructions: cancel item or leave on backorder, with as much as a 3 month wait. They were honest about it, so I left the item on order, it arrived about 2 months later.
10/10 will buy from them again.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-10-2019, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the replies gents. I think I am going to be sold on the 18oz merino wool pants!

I guess as long as I order in the next couple months I should have them before next November!!

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2019, 12:42 PM

the Alberta Trapper Assn. head office in Westlock had a whole pile of the pants in stock last time I was through there.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:42 PM

Default Big Bill 18 Oz. Merino Wool Cargo

you won't be disappointed, love them
Old 12-11-2019, 11:20 PM

Ordered the 18oz merino pants today with suspenders. Cant wait to try them.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-13-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
The 24 oz cargo pants remind me of the German Army Winter Battle pants we used to get at army surplus, BUTTTTTTTT

The German Army Winter Battle pants had a rubber liner in the knees and on the butt.

You could stay nice and dry in them.

There was another version which had some sort of plastic in the knees and pants which "creaked" in the cold, but if you found the ones with rubber, they were very very excellent pants.

Too bad I outgrew them from my highschool years.

I did not know they shrank from closet air!!!!

Drewski
The Swiss and German army pants were great ! They had a waxed paper in the knees, that's why you had to wash in cold water. Shrunken wool can be renewed, wash in hair conditioner and cold water , stretch, let dry, wash normally.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:20 AM

I decided to take a chance and ordered direct from the gostwear site about 6 weeks ago (early November), one pair 18oz cargo and one pair of 24oz cargo.

I usually wear a 32 waist with at least 32 length. I bought the 34 waist with 33 length because I knew I was going to wash them.

Shipping took 5 days so that was a nice surprise. Before washing they were huge, after washing they were a good fit. Pockets will curl like crazy. Waist fit about like a 33, length almost 32. Roughest "merino" wool I've ever worn but they make good winter outdoor/work pants.

Overall pretty happy with them and would buy again if I needed more wool pants for those conditions.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:01 PM

Just got one of the Olive Green 18 ounce Merino wool Zip up light car coats. Fits exactly like it should and like the size chart says. Being short armed I have to give the sleeves one roll, but I knew that would be true from the sizing chart. All of my Big Bill stuff I have been getting form Egli's because there were so many posts about Gost shipping and wait time issues. I ordered from Gost this time instead of Egli's because Gost was over $45 cheaper and Egli's had no interest in even trying to match their price. Thought for that big a difference, 26%, I would give them a try. Jacket was here in under a week, free shipping, 5PERCENT coupon code, all in including GST was $177.81.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:19 PM

Smile

Gostwear is currently offering a 10% discount on all orders and free shipping over $99.
Promo code: TOGETHER

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-03-2020, 05:43 PM

Default best ever

I have used the Cargo pants winter and summer in the mountains. LOVE them . Warm ,dry fast and pockets galore. These are really cheap compared to so many other brands yet they wear fantastic. 5 stars
Old 04-03-2020, 06:53 PM

Im sold on big bill stuff.
I just picked up my 28oz charcoal bibs.
They are amazing. Wool is much nicer than I expected. Build quality is excellent. For the price nothing compares.
I bought a pair of the button on suspenders for my dad last christmas. They would hold up lead pants!

Jobsite workwear can order in the big bill wool for everyone who wants to support our local shops!

I'm going to be competing with the designer camo guys this fall, but I'll show them up with my charcoal plad!
Brad
Old 11-29-2020, 11:04 AM

This a a great thread on wool clothes. U[pdate, now been using the Big Bill Jack shirt, cargo pants from Elgis for two years and the Breen Wool Zip up Jacket from Gostwear for a year. Still very happy with all of the Big Bill clothing. Pants have been washed a few more times and have never shrank beyond the first wash. Jack shirt didn't shrink at all unfortunately so it is still pretty big. The Zip up jacket didn't shrink and is still a very nice fit.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:03 PM

Default Gostwear pants

I have been using their pants for a couple of years. Once it's below freezing they work awesome and they are very quiet. Also had no issues with ordering or delivery from Gostwear.

Last edited by DV-67; 11-29-2020 at 02:12 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 11-29-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Perhaps it was just not what I expected. The pants are very well made and exceeded my expectations so there may be a bit of comparison going on.

I ordered the heavy standard wool pant and they are actually too warm unless it is below -10. I also picked up the Merino wool pant which are almost as warm but lighter weight. The stitching and lining is expertly done with quality product and attention to detail. The girl on line helped with the sizing and they fit perfect. These are both 100% wool and obviously I couldn't be happier.

The jacket is more of a mass produced quality and as described is a blend of fabric. It does not fit well in spite of my on line chat as it is a little short in the arms and too big in the middle. I am by no means a seamstress, but my mother was and I know quality stitching and fabric. You had mentioned flannel shirts and I have 2 that I wear almost daily if I am out in the bush. This shirt would make an itchy substitute but I was more looking for a fall/spring jacket.

With that said, the jacket I really want is 4 times more money like a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser or alike. It was perhaps foolish on my part to expect so much for so little money. You may well like the product as it seems to match your expectations.
I have been a Filson dude my whole life and have been wearing their wool for years. Thanks for the links and I'll check it out. I am skeptical that this wool can be at Filson quality at this price but you never know until you try it. You need a fist full of American greenies to buy anything Filson.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:11 PM
Banned

Got 18oz pants with suspenders, best purchase i ever made when it comes to clothing for hunting. Perfect for november, and feel very light with suspenders, never felt fatigued and always warm. Silent as well.

Make sure you work some boot grease in leather ends on suspenders, almost ended up soiling myself. Either the buttons are too big or the leather shrunk over time. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:44 AM

Love the Big Bill stuff. Used to be called Codet 25yrs ago I think.On the second set now. Quality !