Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-13-2018, 12:24 AM

Personally I like the tyto 1.1 in place of the havalon or any other replaceable blade knife as it is a lot easier to clean. I've came across a lot of situations where I wish I had a pocket knife clipped on me. Likely will try out the benchmade bugout and see how it does.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:58 PM

I was looking at an ENZO from bushcraftcanada but ended up ordering a lynx hunting knife from north arm knives in BC.
It's an xmas gift for the boss. I paid the extra $30 to have her name engraved on the blade. Hopefully it will get shipped on Monday and make it here on time. Darn you canada post!
Old 12-13-2018, 02:42 PM

Really tried to like the Havalons but they don’t do it for me. Have a number of fixed blades, cheap and not so cheap, and invariably whenever an animal is down, the buck 119 comes out. The first knife I ever bought and still the best for me.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I was looking at an ENZO from bushcraftcanada but ended up ordering a lynx hunting knife from north arm knives in BC.
I've done a few more animals with my Lynx knife since I posted earlier in this thread. I love it more and still think it's one of the best choices available as a hunting knife. Intelligent design, top notch materials, made in Canada. The only thing I could ask for is more variety in the scales.

Also remaining the same is coveting these customs from Coiloil37.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:28 PM

I have a few nice buck knives but I wanted to get something special for the old lady. So far I'm happy ordering the lynx from north arm knives. As stated I just ordered it today lol. I talked to them a few times today as the handle I wanted was back ordered. The 2 different gentlemen I dealt with were great to talk to. The only issue I have is the boss's name is going to be engraved on it, not mine...
Old 12-13-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Grohmann original, made in Canada, eh.
A CDN classic. The elliptical blade with drop point makes a perfect field knife.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:37 PM

got a nice Enzo folder from greybeard that hold a good edge . My field knife is made by Raised by Wolves and also holds a great edge
Old 12-18-2018, 10:16 AM

Someone else mentioned Cutco knives. Here are the two hunting knives they make:

https://www.cutco.com/products/produ...-outdoor-knife

https://www.cutco.com/products/produ...op-point-knife

I bought the drop point with the double D edge because they'll sharpen it for free if I send it to them and I just wanted to try it out. I've used it many times in the last 4 years and it's never needed to be sharpened. I find I prefer a clip point for field dressing though and now wish I had purchased the clip point version.

If I were to buy another Cutco hunting knife (I'm thinking about it....lol), it would be the clip point with a typical straight edge. While I like how well the double-D holds it's edge, I wouldn't buy it the second time as I have no problems keeping an edge on a knife myself.

I also own a Cutco fileting knife and if you're a fisherman, you won't find a better knife anywhere. I like that the blade can go from 6" to 9". I use 6" when pulling the filets off of walleye, and slip it out to 9: to pull the meat off the skin. I found the blade was too sharp to start with and had to run the edge down a piece of wood once or twice before using it because if I didn't, it cut through the skins every time I tried to pull meat off the skin. If I give it a couple strops on the steel I have to run it down wood once or it's too sharp. I've had that knife for about 10 years now and cleaned a very large number of walleye with it and other than an occasional strop on the steel, have never had to sharpen it.

I do own quite a few other knives, and do use one of them a lot for field dressing, I do know you can't go wrong with the Cutco's and I suspect if I do break down and buy the clip point straight edge, it'll be the only one I use anymore.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 12-18-2018, 11:53 AM
Banned

Default The old girl works best.

I purchased a Puma White Hunter a few years ago, but still use the same knife I was gifted by my brother in law, decades ago. The older one gets, the less a person likes change.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:11 PM

My favourite is my KOA Elk hunter with the orange handle. A little work to get it sharp but it holds its edge forever.http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...1&d=1546805295
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AF6C7B82-9754-4644-93C2-DA83EE349AA8.jpg (52.4 KB, 116 views)
Old 01-06-2019, 01:29 PM
Banned

Mora companion. Best 20$ you'll spend on a knife.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 AM

I have too many good ones to choose from, takes way too much time to decide which one to take (1?) Here's a few; top right clockwise, a couple of Pumas, a triple bladed Browning, the classic Grohman Russell Canadian boat knife, two Schrade Old Timers and an Uncle Henry. Fun fact, Schrade Imperial had the two lines Old Timer and Uncle Henry. The OTS were 1095 carbon steel where the UHS were stainless and guaranteed against loss of all things. Now all Shade knives are made in China but still great quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-01-17 09.52.26-800x515.jpg (100.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:52 PM

I will give another vote to cutco!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:28 PM

I thought on this thread when I saw this video today:
https://streamable.com/s0foj

the blade is made out of a chromium niobium alloy. The best edge retention I think.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariu View Post
I thought on this thread when I saw this video today:
https://streamable.com/s0foj

the blade is made out of a chromium niobium alloy. The best edge retention I think.
Holy crap! That’s like magic, it must be a real bugger to sharpen?
Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpack View Post
I have too many good ones to choose from, takes way too much time to decide which one to take (1?) Here's a few; top right clockwise, a couple of Pumas, a triple bladed Browning, the classic Grohman Russell Canadian boat knife, two Schrade Old Timers and an Uncle Henry. Fun fact, Schrade Imperial had the two lines Old Timer and Uncle Henry. The OTS were 1095 carbon steel where the UHS were stainless and guaranteed against loss of all things. Now all Shade knives are made in China but still great quality.
Cabelas has schrade pocket and fixed blades on for about 40%off till the 20th if you are interested.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:55 AM

I use knives of alaska. so impressed with them that i collected the whole set
Old 02-13-2019, 10:14 AM

Default Sounds like Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
I have an Old timer, by uncle Henery. You know the one. It was sold at Canadian tire in the 80’s, has the useless touch up stone in its little keeper on the sheeth. Anyway I have had it on my hip for 30 years. It has some how taken a slight curve that perfectly lines up with my hip, its weird, maybe too many naps, or a couple slip and falls while hunting? It has a super hard blade that is difficult to sharpen but is wicked sharp when done right. I love it. My wife just got me a Benchmade bushcraft knive for my birthday. S30v steel, pretty, nice and sharp and by all accounts my last knife. That will be my new knife from now on. I thought i was ready to let go of my old timer untill I realized i had dropped it on one last hunt. When I got home and realized what had happened I went into full blown panic mode. It was really quite pathetic as it was just a knife, 20-30 bucks maybe. Well i drove the hour and a bit to where I parked and there it was in the snow. Picked it up and instantly all was right again. I’ll have my new knife on my hip this year and retire my old knife to my gun cabinet-maybe. Uugh, decisions. Stupid knife.
Tullfan
Sounds like Love! I have one like that to.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:33 PM

Default Hard steel Knives Roselli UHC

I've made a few knives from blanks, have a pair of Roselli ultra high carbon knives, a skinner and a hunter. Likely one of the hardest blades you will find and will hold an edge, but also more difficult to put an edge back on it. Diamond plate or grit work for sharpening. Can't have it both ways, hold an edge and easy to sharpen too, always a trade off. Brisa.fi sell them
Old 02-17-2019, 06:08 PM

Caved and ordered myself a Gene Ingram knife....the wait begins
Old 02-17-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
Caved and ordered myself a Gene Ingram knife....the wait begins
Can’t go wrong there. I had a pair ordered, by the time it was my turn I didn’t want them anymore as his designs didn’t fit my style like Crotts did. It’s a personal thing with the shape of his blades but that said he makes a quality knife that will leave you proud. Which model are you thinking and what scales?
Old 02-23-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0295 View Post
I use knives of alaska. so impressed with them that i collected the whole set
Any pics of your collection?
Old 02-26-2019, 08:08 PM

I like the tradition of an old stag handled blade but I have been using the Havalon the last couple of years and I gotta admit that its pretty compact and handy
Old 10-09-2021, 11:35 AM

Default Raising a thread from the dead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Well like I said. This thread got me all excited to build my definition of ultimate. I flew home from Oz today for a month off and she was here waiting for me. I’m not sure how Dan got Canada post to get it from the border to my door but it made it.

Had to choose different scales then what I posted a picture of in my last post because of the tapered tang

I did a vertical and horizontal sheath.

Now off to wainwright tomorrow to get some moose blood on it.

Man that’s a gorgeous knife!
Old 10-09-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
It's a bit longer than 4" but for an all purpose hunting knife look at a Ka-Bar. I've had mive for 15 years now and still going strong.
I've been carrying a Ka-Bar for about five years now turned a few of my friends onto them I use it for everything even skinned out in Elk and butchered it worked great
Old 10-09-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
A CDN classic. The elliptical blade with drop point makes a perfect field knife.

This is what I run. The original. Has many knotches in the handle
Old 10-09-2021, 12:46 PM

To me, the greatest knife, is what you find works well for you. It’s such a hard thing to recommend. Like a rifle or a truck, it’s all personal preference
Old 10-09-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Outdoorsman View Post
To me, the greatest knife, is what you find works well for you. It’s such a hard thing to recommend. Like a rifle or a truck, it’s all personal preference
Totally agree!
For years I used a Rusel belt knife and a Green River style
( small butcher style) Victorianox almost exclusively , unless I was caping or skinning small stuff like squirrels or mink. Then it was a Gerrber Pixie.
I still belive the original Russel is one of the finest designs ever made for a field dressing knife.
However in the last 20 years or so I have been using a few trailing blades , a LeClair and the Marttinii among them, and am getting used to using them, although for general skinning I still really prefer a drop point style.
A friend who skinned with me when we worked for a taxidermist however , loved his LB7 Schrade clip point for general use !
For sonr field dressing however I still use my Puma.
Cat
Old 10-09-2021, 04:30 PM

A Dozier made knife with D2 steel works fairly well.
Old 10-09-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
A Dozier made knife with D2 steel works fairly well.

They sure do. For a working knife they’re hard to beat and will continue cutting effortlessly through many animals.

FYI, Dan Crotts is Bob Doziers son in law and runs Bobs shop.

After a few dozen customs these are the only two that lived up to my standards. Nothing beats the design of that Crotts though, it’s perfect.