Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 11:13 AM

Lol ya mostly rimfire to warm up. Then finish off with something bigger. We'll go through a 1400 round bucket of 22 in an afternoon.

When me and the boss first got together, she had cases of 12 gauge ammo. It was love at first sight. I thought this chick is either really crazy or really cool. Turns out she's both!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Lol ya mostly rimfire to warm up. Then finish off with something bigger. We'll go through a 1400 round bucket of 22 in an afternoon.
snip
How many center-fire rounds per week do you want to load?

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:59 AM

Well for now I was trying to tune in our most accurate 7mm-08 load for my rifle and also for the old lady's. Then 357 & 38 special for one revolver. And 45 colt for other revolver. 303 british for the Lee Enfields. 303 savage for other rifle. Maybe 223 for the ARs. And probably lots of our other stuff too. I buy lots of ammo when it's on sale. But we love to shoot. We thought getting into handloading will help with costs.

So eventually a lot. But for now just 7mm-08. 200-250 at a time and they might last for the whole summer. This caliber is my practice round. I want to work all my bugs out on this budget hunting rifle. Then when I upgrade to something a bit fancier I'll hopefully have a bit of an idea what I'm doing.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Well for now I was trying to tune in our most accurate 7mm-08 load for my rifle and also for the old lady's. Then 357 & 38 special for one revolver. And 45 colt for other revolver. 303 british for the Lee Enfields. 303 savage for other rifle. Maybe 223 for the ARs. And probably lots of our other stuff too. I buy lots of ammo when it's on sale. But we love to shoot. We thought getting into handloading will help with costs.

So eventually a lot. But for now just 7mm-08. 200-250 at a time and they might last for the whole summer. This caliber is my practice round. I want to work all my bugs out on this budget hunting rifle. Then when I upgrade to something a bit fancier I'll hopefully have a bit of an idea what I'm doing.
IMHO,
Most basic single stage presses are adequate for learning the various procedures, and for loading smaller quantities of ammo,
but pistol and semi-auto shooters usually want larger volumes than a basic SS press can easily produce.

I suggest you plan for and research the future purchase of a Dillon RL 550-B
(or the less expensive and very capable (but slower), LEE Classic Cast turret system)
rather than any powered case prep center and/or a Chargemaster or similar,

Both of the suggested press systems have very good powder measures, and can be used in single stage, batch, and sequential procedures,
and the Dillon can also do full progressive with manual indexing, (which has some advantages).

Currently, you can learn all the procedures with your current SS press, which can then be kept for special needs.

Good Luck, YMMV.