Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2007, 09:00 PM

Duplicate

-Dylan

Last edited by Dylan; 09-13-2007 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Duplicate - had posting difficulties
Old 09-13-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Dylan, you started this thread and no matter what you say you were complaining about your speeding ticket. Your attempts to defend the folks who pinched you are hypocritical. That's all I have to say on this thread.

G'night all.

Grady
Grady I know this is "all you have to say on this thread" (which is often the dying breath from the losing end of a debate), but please clarify this point. The way I read it is that you summise that I can't both respect law enforcement for the fine job they do, and speed when I deem it is safe to do so?

"Your attempts to defend the folks who pinched you are hypocritical."

It's there from your fingers in black and white. Perhaps speeding is the "gateway crime" to Assaulting a Peace Officer and other felonies because surely I can't break one law without having a heinous disregard for all legislation....???

I happen to push the needle every now and then, yet I still manage to admire Peace Officers for the critical duties they perform, the pride in which most of them carry themselves, and I do hold them in the highest regard.

I think this comment is either pretty poorly thought-out, or inflammatory.

-Dylan
Old 09-13-2007, 09:13 PM

I also live in Edson the photo radar has also taken my pic. The speed limit is 50km 5 10 15 over is speeding the streets of Edson are very busy and for the drivers who feel they need to speed there is a road a round please take it our kids and all others will be safer THANK YOU
Old 09-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Banned

I enjoyed driving in Montana when they had that system in effect as well. They even have roads fit to drive on! The "no limit" rule certainly was not in Montana for decades - they dropped it after a few years. According to how I was told the accident rates were up and court costs were shooting out the roof.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Umm, actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
I enjoyed driving in Montana when they had that system in effect as well. They even have roads fit to drive on! The "no limit" rule certainly was not in Montana for decades - they dropped it after a few years. According to how I was told the accident rates were up and court costs were shooting out the roof.
Montana did not enact it's first numeric speed limit until 1974 (keeping in mind that both cars and rural highways had been around for a handful of years prior to that date). The numeric speed limit was repealed in 1995, at which time the "Reasonable and Prudent" speed legislation came back into affect. This was struck down a second time in 1999 and since that time, they have assigned limits to each stretch of road individually.

Source: Article 6.7 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l...nd_prudent_era

Unless my math fails me, that is at least three, if not more decades.

Bottom line, it was a neat system and we both enjoyed driving it!

-Dylan
Old 09-13-2007, 10:59 PM

I am a Community Peace Officer, and also am proud of the new sherrifs in Alberta. (No, I am not a sherrif, but work in other areas of peace keeping) I would be fine getting a real ticket, worth demerits and all the rest. I do not like photo radar, for it really is just a tax on speeding. The education prospects do not happen 2 weeks after the event.

I also agree that talking your way out of a ticket when stopped by a sherrif, or a city by-law person is RARE, as this is the bulk of what they do, as opposed to just one of many duties that a Mountie does.

I also set my cruise control at 8 km over, and have not been stopped in YEARS. I religiously am at the speed limit in school zones, and only occasionlly drift 2 - 5 km over in town. NO need for the halo....I just cannot afford the fines. It also is safer for all concerned.

John
Old 09-13-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Jake

Good to hear about your pride in the Alberta Sheriff's too.

I was heavily involved in the roll-out of that program and am quite familiar with the specifics of their mandate, powers, day to day, and recruitment. If you ever have any Q's or are interested in applying, send me a PM and I'll shoot you in the right direction.

They are in the middle of a hiring blitz (ongoing for a couple years now) and it's really a fascinating career IMHO.

Cheers,

-Dylan
Old 09-13-2007, 11:24 PM
Banned

Well, I did not have a drivers licence yet in 1974. The first time I drove in Montana was 1976. I was unaware that there were no limits prior to that. As to recent history, it would seem they tried the law for 4 years.

There isn't a highway in Alberta suitable to put such a program in place on.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:33 PM

You were doing 24% over the posted limit. I'm sure you'd agree thats a bit excessive using the same would you be arguing if you were caught doing 136 in a 110 zone.

Can't say I blame them for the ticket, be thankful it wasn't in a construction zone or your fine would be double.

I push it on the highways generally the 10% but try to stay much closer in residential areas where speed are regulted to 50kph.