Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Six Years Ago today.

I was leaving Zama, and could'nt figure out why the High Level Airport had so many planes on the tar mat.
It became obvious right directly, and the rest of the day was spent trying to first convince my boss we needed to rent a car, and then trying to get home.
It seems many generations have a vivid and moving event to which they can claim cominality. My Brothers was Neil Armstrong and the first man on the moon, and JFK's assasination. My Dad's was WWII and the Winnipeg Riots.
Makes you wonder what is in store for our kids.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Gone Hunting

Old 09-11-2007, 07:28 AM

hi rich,
its one of those things were you remember where you were...when elvis died, when the edmonton tornado hit, 9-11, im sure everyone can add one or two.
makes one appreciate the 'little' things more, and the big things even less.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Banned

Default Changed

Its scarey how one day can change the whole world. Or at least how you percieve the whole world going forward. Pray we never see anything like that again.

Last edited by Deer Hunter; 02-13-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:47 PM

I vividly remember where I was (painting the room for our first child 2 months later) and what I was doing. I always will, and pray that that is the ONLY such moment of my life.

This time last year, I was on an internet (US based) poker site. The players could live chat and you could see where everyone was from. Someone called me a wimpy liberal Canadian, and I simply offered up my condolances from a Canadian who is not wimpy, and most definately NOT LIBERAL! I reminded him that around 30 of my fellow citizens also perished that day. Then a funny thing happened. There were 10 of us on the table at the time (I was the only Canuck), and the game just stopped. People just started talking about that day, how their lives were affected by it and the connections they had to it (2 individuals had actually lost people they knew quite well). I suddenly found myself in a weird way being a representitive on Canada. The discussion lasted over an hour, and I made sure that not everyone up here is a US basher, and don't believe everything you hear. It was a very surreal but touching event that I will remember for the rest of my life. God bless America on this sad day.

Tree
Old 09-11-2007, 07:56 PM

My father died on the 6th
My brother and I were wondering for a while if we would be able to make the funeral, which was in the Middle East ( Ontario).
I'll never forget it......
Old 09-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Gone Hunting

A lot of tragic events happen through out the world and over time. Every day people stave to death or are killed in some war somewhere. I don't remember where I was each time I heard the news of people dieing in one of these events.
"remembering where you were when it happened" and "changing the world forever" are kind of "cliche'". I don't care to dwell on tragedy. Too bad, so sad, life goes on. Perhaps the news media promotes the "The world has changed forever" feeling.

If it pleases you to remember where you were, go for it.

Robin in Rocky
Old 09-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Doc Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
A lot of tragic events happen through out the world and over time. Every day people stave to death or are killed in some war somewhere. I don't remember where I was each time I heard the news of people dieing in one of these events.
"remembering where you were when it happened" and "changing the world forever" are kind of "cliche'". I don't care to dwell on tragedy. Too bad, so sad, life goes on. Perhaps the news media promotes the "The world has changed forever" feeling.

If it pleases you to remember where you were, go for it.

Robin in Rocky
Robin, I find yer post quite disturbing. " Too bad , so sad??" WTF? How dare you post such a blatant response! That was the day that did change the world, blind??....deaf.... cant comprehend???... " Too bad, so sad??? WTF AGAIN!! People perished that day, and people are still laying their lives on the line, and still dying for our freedom everyday. I cant believe you... of all people... to say something that stupid! I"ve lost all respect fer you. We all should be Very PROUD of the impact of our troops have made, they keep our Country Strong. I am stunned at yer post, like its just another day. So it is, what if yer wife, daughter, son.. was one of the people jumpin from the 32nd floor, and the camera vids the air time until impact, dont care to dwell on that tragedy??, or they never find yer spouses' body, but he/she was on the floor where the plane hit....But hey... dont dwell on tragedy Robin...you dont have to live with it obviously... you dont care ....
Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 PM

I know where I was. I was getting on a Herc headed for the cost, although I didnt know it at the time. They just told us to pack for at least a month.
I will never forget it.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Well doc, I knew that what I said may come accross kind of "cold" and I was going to probably be critisised some for it. But I didn't expect your responce.

I am not sure what you understand "too bad, so sad" to mean.

I feel sorry that all those people were killed in the trade center. I am sorry for all those killed in the big "tsuami". I an sorry for all those killed in New Orleans in the Hurracaine. Every time there is a natural or man made disaster It saddens me. For those who die and those who they leave behind.
But for me "the world is not changed forever".

Not sure why you brought the troops fighting and dieing into this discussion at all.

If a trajedy happened to a close member of my family it would effect me. I would not expect it to effect you.

Too bad it happened, So sad that it happened

Robin in Rocky

Last edited by duffy4; 09-12-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:43 PM

Pac Hwy border crossing 06:00 Pacific Time, just got "on the road", manning booth #1. 1st car "Hey, did you here? A plane hit one of the towers of the World Trade Centre." Car #2 "Hey did you hear, a plane hit the......wait...another plane hit the other tower......" I got on the radio and said,"Will somebody turn the TV on and tell me what the hell is going on out in New York!!" 2 hours later..........border shut down and jet fighters roaring through the air. Yeah, I remember it well and will never forget that day.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:52 PM

Hey Duff,
Don't want ot get into a ****in match here but yes, that was cold. I too am surprised at your post.

Maybe 'your world' hasn't changed but 'this planet earth' has changed as a result of 911. We are fighting a silent war now and God forbid what the future holds in regard to terrorism. I read a disturbing article about a year ago on home grown terrorists and I believe every word of it. I'm not sure if I posted it on the board but if I can find it I'll post it again.

Six years ago was a sad day we will all never forget and today on the anniversary of 911, my heart goes out to the friends, family and relatives of the innocent victims who died in this cowardly act of terrorism.
God Bless America!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:23 AM

Well said Tuc.

Tree
Old 09-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Banned

Default George Santayana

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it."

It's important (VERY) to remember past tragedies and why they occurred not only out of respect for the people that passed, but also so that we may take steps to ensure that they don't happen again. One of the great tragedies of modern school is the lack of history that is taught regarding past wars and mass slaughters of people and the reasons why they occurred, and what SHOULD have been done to prevent them.

"We make war so that we may live in peace." - Aristotle

God bless all those that died, their families, and all the men and women who are taking steps to ensure that tragedies like this don't happen again.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:05 PM

I was in Ontario, and my girlfriend at the time had just returned from NYC where she worked at the UN for the Summer.
Just finished night shift and was on my way home when the news hit the radio. Went home and watched TV all day, then went back to work that evening.