Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-13-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Probably a bear. Canines don’t use their claws like that, and those aren’t tooth marks. Could be a young mountain lion as well, one that doesn’t have its technique perfected yet
Looks like canine marks to me; one deep hole in each of the four corners of the wound.

My brother has had about 6 calves maimed in the last week. SRD investigated and concluded that it's a bear. All of the wounds are in the neck area.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-13-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
I agree on the wrongfull accusation. Same goes for grizzly bear. I talked to fish and wildlife officer she said many cow carcasses that bears have fed on have all three stomachs empty. More than likely the cow die before the bear showed up.
I'm not sure what experience your opinion is based on, but the calf in question was still alive when the pic was taken, so I don't think it died before the predator showed up. I've lost 20-30 calves to wolves, chased a wolf off of a wounded calf, and treated critters that have been attacked. Some ranchers may pull a fast one trying to claim a critter that died but in my opinion it is very difficult to get compensation by fooling the officers. Talk to anyone who manages a community pasture north of highway 16 and they'll have plenty of stories about confirmed predator kills. If it were only stray dogs killing our stock, we would just shoot them and the problem would be solved.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-13-2018, 10:54 PM

Surprised it is still alive.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I'm not sure what experience your opinion is based on, but the calf in question was still alive when the pic was taken, so I don't think it died before the predator showed up. I've lost 20-30 calves to wolves, chased a wolf off of a wounded calf, and treated critters that have been attacked. Some ranchers may pull a fast one trying to claim a critter that died but in my opinion it is very difficult to get compensation by fooling the officers. Talk to anyone who manages a community pasture north of highway 16 and they'll have plenty of stories about confirmed predator kills. If it were only stray dogs killing our stock, we would just shoot them and the problem would be solved.
The grizzly comment was in regards to a previous post not the op . And it is quoted. Please review. Cheers