Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Suggestions on Headlamps

Hi everybody.
Any feedback on headlamps.Good brands, bad brands, what i should be looking for in a good quality product.I just got my Cabela's catalogue and i am looking at buying some stuff from them.Whit the dollar at .97 it makes it worth while. Is shipping and all the extra charges a lot and is it really worth ordering State side.
Thanks.
Have a good night and happy hunting!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:15 PM

I have a petzl headlamp and love it. A few personal preferances on headlamps.

Get one with a red filter that flips on with ease, With the red filter on it does not destroy your night vision and is easy on everyone around you. As you do not blind them.

The ones with the batteries on the back and the strap over the top are a pain. Not as easy to deal with over top of hats, hoods, etc.. The single band is easier to put on anything.

I got one of these http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=482
Then soon got another, I used it camping, hiking, working on the car etc... no complaints. And its much brighter then most headlamps I have tried.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:26 AM

Ive got an Energizer one and it has two clear LED's and one red LED and its super bright. Plus you can adjust the pitch of the light so it can be right at your feet or out ahead of you. It takes 3 AAA batteries.
Energizer Headlamp

Sure is handy when your walkin to your stand or even when your doin some nite fishing

AKA MAVERICK
Old 09-16-2007, 12:30 AM

I second the Tikka its a nice lamp.

As for shipping and charges yes it is wort while. You need to order over 100 bucks worth of stuff but broker duty and shipping wont be more than 50 bucks CAD
Old 09-16-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post
I second the Tikka its a nice lamp.

As for shipping and charges yes it is wort while. You need to order over 100 bucks worth of stuff but broker duty and shipping wont be more than 50 bucks CAD
I won't buy from any company that insists on shipping with FedEx or UPS. Neither deliver into our community and they also have outrageous brokerage fees. USPS & Canada Post now have a deal where they ship the items with tracking numbers. It may be slow, but it's dirt cheap.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:12 AM

I am not sure if you are refering to Cabela;s but the brokerage fees from there were always 3.50 USD and 43.50 USD unless I was shipping oversized items. They also delivered right to my front door, was never longer than 10 working days, and always told me where my package was if I asked.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Gone Hunting

I have been using a Princeton Tech lamp for afew years now. Awesome piece of equipment. Using lithium batteries, i see over 100 hours burn time. Its not the brightest lamp out there, but you dont need to light the whole country up, just need to see where you are going. It has worked fantastic for all senarios, from treestand hunts, right through to back pack sheep. I havent seen Princeton Tech lamps for sale for a while though, not real sure if they are still around, or whats going on. If your looking, check to see if you can find some of their stuff, they might/might not be able to compete with other brands, not sure, but i sure like mine.

keep a strain on er.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Nationwide

I have used this lamp for a while and love it.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9851_200309851
Old 09-16-2007, 08:32 AM

Default browning

i use a browning headlamp and i will tell you what after it stayed bright comign offf the mountain at 3 in the moring for 6 hours i will never use a different one, lifesaver is what it was.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Banned

I second the no ordering from anywhere that ships UPS of FEDEX. The brokerage fees are a consumer rip off. I tell the company exactly why I won't be ordering from them as well - that I can pay 5 dollars to the Postal Service for the exact same paperwork that UPS etc. charges 50 dollars for.

I have a Petzl headlamp and am happy with it. Don't know how it compares to others though because I haven't owned any others. This one works well enough for what I need that I haven't felt compelled to buy/try something else.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
I have been using a Princeton Tech lamp for afew years now. Awesome piece of equipment. Using lithium batteries, i see over 100 hours burn time. Its not the brightest lamp out there, but you dont need to light the whole country up, just need to see where you are going. It has worked fantastic for all senarios, from treestand hunts, right through to back pack sheep. I havent seen Princeton Tech lamps for sale for a while though, not real sure if they are still around, or whats going on. If your looking, check to see if you can find some of their stuff, they might/might not be able to compete with other brands, not sure, but i sure like mine.

keep a strain on er.
X2 on the Princeton Tech , I have an Aurora.
I prefer the small LED variety because you never leave it at home and the batteries never run out.