Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2007, 07:10 AM

Thumbs up Re-Canadian Military Vehicles

Hello All,

Hi,
Thanks for the heads up on the ILTIS, I was looking @ a M151A, built by Mercedes, it is a 1975 vintage.
What do you know about this?????

Thanks!

Does anyone have knowledge of ex military jeeps they could share ie. Which ones are useful for hunting, parts availability, is there anyone in Alta that has one for sale, etc, etc, etc??????

Thanks!

Last edited by hauchk; 09-14-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:25 AM
50BMG

I have only found one website close to us that offers that info but I seem to be having some problems locating it this morning. I will try again after work for you
Old 09-13-2007, 08:40 PM

I think you're referring to the Ilitis, it's based on the Volkswagen Rabbit powertrain. tough to kill if you keep them away from IED's according to the step kid. The Canadian version was built under license by Bombardier and used the gasoline engine. From what I understand they might get about 20 mpg.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Iltis

There's a guy on my neighbourhood (Saskatchewan Boulevard area of Edmonton) and he was selling them about six months back. At one point he had three parked in front of my house, if I recall correctly he was buying them surplus, and flipping them in the bargain finder.

Best thing you can do is search for "Iltis" under the Autotrader and bargain finder. Their location and description search utilities are pretty good in my experience.

Good luck! They're a great vehicle and very capable off road, but I'm not sure how easy it is to find parts when needed.

Keep us posted!

-Dylan
Old 09-13-2007, 10:56 PM

Often Michener Allen auctions lists them in their sales.

www.michenerallen.com
Old 09-14-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Don't Do It!

I'm retired army. I lived with that piece of S*** called an Iltis for most of my 33 year career. Under powered, impossible to find some parts for it and about as reliable as your worst enemy. If you can find one of the old "53 pattern" real jeeps you will have a gem. Between an Iltis and a boat anchor I would take the boat anchor every time and I don't own a boat!
Old 09-14-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner22a View Post
I'm retired army. I lived with that piece of S*** called an Iltis for most of my 33 year career. Under powered, impossible to find some parts for it and about as reliable as your worst enemy. If you can find one of the old "53 pattern" real jeeps you will have a gem. Between an Iltis and a boat anchor I would take the boat anchor every time and I don't own a boat!
Sooo, what was your longest jump with one? Oh wait sorry, what was your longest "emergency tactical evasive flight maneuver" with an Iltis?

The shiny "great vehicle" rating came from an active member BTW.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:29 AM

Don't get one. I was a ground pounder for 8 years when the Iltis was in service. When they work they work great but the fuel pumps died alot and very finicky to get in 4 wheel drive. When you did get them of road they could go some pretty strange places but I think any vehicle would when you dont have to pay for repairs!!!! One very cool thing was they had a recovery system that bolted on a rim and you would use you wheel like a winch.Good cab heater though! Get an old suzuki samuari, great for little trails
Old 09-14-2007, 09:57 AM

Default we got scammed

I think I remember reading somewhere that the government was paying Bombadier upwards of $60 000 for one one these.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Iltis Cost

The actual price per vehicle was very close to that quoted. The price is all inclusive of a huge spare parts inventory and support. When you make a fleet purchase you always buy a "spare parts" package as well. That is the only way to guarantee you have the parts when you need them.

Once the assembly line closes the supplier is off to making something different and even the govt can become just another old customer. Same thing with airplanes. If you haven't pre paid a parts supply contract the lead time to get parts for a modern jet aircraft is numbered in years not days or months.

I still think it's a hunk of junk!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:55 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the heads up on the ILTIS, I was looking @ a M151A, built by Mercedes, it is a 1975 vintage.
What do you know about this?????

Thanks!

Last edited by hauchk; 09-14-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:18 PM

stay away from it the front cv joints break i know this broke them a few times in my army times it sucks and any used ones where driven like you stole it cause you did not own it