Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2018, 09:33 AM
Banned

Default Some geese shots from Iceland

Just spent a few days in Iceland while coming back from Europe. The goose and what I think are tundra swans is in full flight. Saw thousands of geese in the very few farm fields they have in Iceland, and talk about spooky! They started coming to attention as soon as I slowed the car down, and lifted off even before it was fully stopped. I have no idea what kind of geese these were,

As far as I know, there is no open season there right now, but man, they sure know what a stopped car means.

Last picture is of a supper of Minke Whale, a traditional Icelandic food. Tasted somewhat like deer, but texture much less coarse. I'd have it again.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:57 AM

I'll assume you tried the whale at a restaurant. How much was the entrée (likely expensive by Canadian standards), and how did the price compare to other Icelandic fare?
Old 04-16-2018, 09:58 AM

Heard the prices are high there. $50 for a simple dinner.

Did you get fishing?

This goose? http://iceland-nh.net/birds/data/Ans...ser_anser.html
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-16-2018, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKP View Post
I'll assume you tried the whale at a restaurant. How much was the entrée (likely expensive by Canadian standards), and how did the price compare to other Icelandic fare?
Iceland is cheap to get to, but very expensive to stay. Hotel was reasonable, but it cost us almost $100 for any supper we had, and we did not go to fancy places. The minke whale was actually cheaper by about $1.00 than my girlfriends cod dinner. Gasoline was $2.80 equivalent per liter.

It's a beautiful, beautiful place, with natural landscapes that are unparalleled to anywhere I've been.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Heard the prices are high there. $50 for a simple dinner.

Did you get fishing?

This goose? http://iceland-nh.net/birds/data/Ans...ser_anser.html
As noted above, yes, $50 is very normal for a dinner. $10 at Dunkin Donuts (they have one there) for 2 cups of coffee.

Thanks for the link on the birds. Thought the swans may have been tundra swans, but interesting they are something different.

Never did have a chance to go fishing, but we will be back next time we go to Europe (flying by IcelandAir is often the cheapest way to Europe, and one can stay for up to a week layover in Iceland, without any additional flight costs).

I can see one organizing a week in the backcountry camping, which would reduce costs significantly, plus what a great way to experience the country.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledriver View Post
As noted above, yes, $50 is very normal for a dinner. $10 at Dunkin Donuts (they have one there) for 2 cups of coffee.

Thanks for the link on the birds. Thought the swans may have been tundra swans, but interesting they are something different.

Never did have a chance to go fishing, but we will be back next time we go to Europe (flying by IcelandAir is often the cheapest way to Europe, and one can stay for up to a week layover in Iceland, without any additional flight costs).

I can see one organizing a week in the backcountry camping, which would reduce costs significantly, plus what a great way to experience the country.
I was researching fishing there. You need to get your gear disinfected upon arrival or certified in Calgary before leaving. Seems safer to do it there. I assume felt boots are out.

http://www.icelandangling.com/index....nd-regulations

http://angling.is/en/disinfection-of-tackle/
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
I was researching fishing there. You need to get your gear disinfected upon arrival or certified in Calgary before leaving. Seems safer to do it there. I assume felt boots are out.

http://www.icelandangling.com/index....nd-regulations

http://angling.is/en/disinfection-of-tackle/
Not cheap for sure! Cheapest is $4,265, up to $9,370.

It seems they have the same situation as in most of Europe, where the land owners control the river. I'm lucky, that I have access in Ireland as my cousin lives there, and have caught fish. It was my impression that most land was actually public land, as most of Iceland is not suitable for agriculture or cabins. I'd like to research that, as I would assume that there are large areas (which may have difficulty actually accessing) that would not be privately owned.

It's an interesting thought!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Not cheap for sure! Cheapest is $4,265, up to $9,370.

It seems they have the same situation as in most of Europe, where the land owners control the river. I'm lucky, that I have access in Ireland as my cousin lives there, and have caught fish. It was my impression that most land was actually public land, as most of Iceland is not suitable for agriculture or cabins. I'd like to research that, as I would assume that there are large areas (which may have difficulty actually accessing) that would not be privately owned.

It's an interesting thought!
$4265 to fish Iceland or are you mixing up Ireland private rivers? Yikes.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
$4265 to fish Iceland or are you mixing up Ireland private rivers? Yikes.
I was looking at this site:

http://www.icelandangling.com/index....shing-holidays

Scroll down, and the prices vary from 736,000 KR and down. I have no idea what a full rod versus a shared rod really means.

This site:

http://gofishing.is/day-tours/

seems to have more reasonable rates, however there is a large variance there also.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:08 PM

In your opinion what would be the minimum about of time that one should visit? Is a 5 day trip long enough to see and do most things?

Once a year the the wife and I always go on a 5 day trip without the kids and Iceland is on our radar this year.

Nice pics BTW
Old 04-16-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I was looking at this site:

http://www.icelandangling.com/index....shing-holidays

Scroll down, and the prices vary from 736,000 KR and down. I have no idea what a full rod versus a shared rod really means.

This site:

http://gofishing.is/day-tours/

seems to have more reasonable rates, however there is a large variance there also.
Still yikes for pricing.

I would pay $1000 for a day catching lots of Atlantic salmon. I would pay $600-800 for a day catching lots of Arctic Char.

I would pay $500 for a day catching Browns and Rainbows in Iceland. If I get the chance I will have to dive in deeper.

It is a private water access world.

Nice thing about your last link was supplying the gear. Rod, reel, flies, net, waders...that can save a ton of problems in disinfecting gear.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
In your opinion what would be the minimum about of time that one should visit? Is a 5 day trip long enough to see and do most things?

Once a year the the wife and I always go on a 5 day trip without the kids and Iceland is on our radar this year.

Nice pics BTW
Coworker came back after doing the 3 day stop over to Europe. Not a ton of time and just hit some local Reykjavik highlights. 7 days you can see the local highlights around Reykjavik.

To see the whole island and do some fishing I feel you need 11 days...which means a specific trip and not the stop over special.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

Nice pics BTW
I think 5 days gets you a great oversight. We were only there 2 1/2 days. Went to the Blue Lagoon and area the first 1/2 day, and the next day did the Golden Circle route, which puts you on some of the highlights, including a geyser field that erupts every 3-4 minutes and great scenery.

I'd want to do the northwest of the island, and go to the large national park in the middle, but we were a bit to early in the year for that.

Some more pictures.

Lava field covered with moss. I doubt one could make more than 5 miles a day through this stuff.

Seashore

Near the Blue Lagoon

In the higher altitudes

Iceland is a volcanic island. Lava flows...

Other landscapes:

Old 04-16-2018, 05:12 PM

Anyone try rock hounding in iceland?

Near as I can tell you can take rocks just not in a park or private land. Not sure what is left.

Some very cool rocks. I am panting just looking at pictures.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

Near as I can tell you can take rocks just not in a park or private land. Not sure what is left.

No, not really, but we did take home some lava/pumice rocks. I agree, looking back at the pictures, I find it hard to believe I was there, let alone 2 days ago. So much of it is still very pristine.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
No, not really, but we did take home some lava/pumice rocks. I agree, looking back at the pictures, I find it hard to believe I was there, let alone 2 days ago. So much of it is still very pristine.
Was the rock in checked bag or carry on?
Old 04-16-2018, 05:58 PM

nice pics , thanks for sharing
Old 04-16-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Nice pics BTW
Son was there twice last year on photography trips, a week each time, still lots to see. Last time was in November to see the Northern Lights, a draw in it's own right. On a budget, so he stayed in hostels part of the time. Spectacular place.

Grizz
Old 04-16-2018, 07:50 PM

Thumbs up Iceland

Before we met, my wife toured Iceland on her way back from Europe.

She still wants to go back there
Old 04-16-2018, 08:04 PM
Banned

These pictures are OUTSTANDING!! Thanks for sharing
Old 04-16-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
These pictures are OUTSTANDING!! Thanks for sharing
Apparently Pink Footed geese. Son saw some Canadas as well.

http://iceland-nh.net/birds/data/Ans...yrhynchus.html

Grizz
Old 04-17-2018, 05:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Was the rock in checked bag or carry on?
Checked. Didn't want to take a chance losing it due to security considering it a weapon.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Apparently Pink Footed geese. Son saw some Canadas as well.

http://iceland-nh.net/birds/data/Ans...yrhynchus.html

Grizz
I was wondering if Canadian geese would be that far off their normal migration routes, but I guess anything could happen with winds?
Old 04-17-2018, 07:56 AM
Banned

Quote:

Lots of cool rocks in Iceland!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lja_uIl2Heo