Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-25-2019, 08:45 PM

Default 6.5 prc

What are some thoughts on this caliber.
Looking for something new and it has caught my eye
Then to find one in a lefty. Lol
Old 11-25-2019, 10:59 PM
Banned

Did I ever look at it! Tones of videos and lectures. Never shot it myself but I was this close from getting a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. The only thing which put it off for me, at least for now, was the lack of availability for ammo still. One place in town only said they would bring it in. Two others, including Cabela’s, looked at me like I had just landed there from the Moon when I asked if they had any ammo in stock. So maybe next year.
As far as the wrong side rifle, I wouldn’t know anything, sorry.

P.S. edit. It looks to me like that would be ‘that one cartridge’.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:14 PM

I have not read a bad thing about it. Seems to be the holy grail of 6.5's a true Creedmore killer ....

The 300 PRC also sounds fantastic.

Get one of each and you have all your big game hunting covered.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:54 AM

Here's my take on the PRC.
The Creed was designed as a match round, but people realized it was not as good as it could be for the longer ranges ( on paper) for some competitions, and people went crazy for it and started hunting with it as well.
Soooo, the PRC was built to satisfy those shooters that could not get their heads around the fact that there are 6.5's out there that can do it but want the latest greatest.
It does well for what it is designed for, and hopefully Hornady will get a mess of brass out there so the guys who used to wildcat the WSM, WSSM, SAUM and RCM cases to 6.5 will not have to go to all the hassle of sourcing and necking, and neck turning brass.

Personally I would just get another 6.5/284, or 6.5 Remington Magnum- oh crap who am I trying to kid?!!
Cat
Old 11-26-2019, 01:00 PM

Got a Christensen Ridgeline. Great caliber, wife shot her antlerless moose at 425yds with it the other day. Great accuracy, have shot 1/2 MOA out to 1000yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2019, 01:33 PM

Had one in my hands, (Christensen Mesa) back and forth between the 6.5 prc and the 7 RM. The 6.5 was lighter, the 7 was much better balanced, and (for hunting) provided better terminal performance with the same level of accuracy and much better ammunition availability. I went old school 7.

What the 6.5 prc does is provide consistent specs and well made factory ammunition (itll get here...eventually ) for a fast 6.5, just like the creedmor did for a medium 6.5.

There are other options for hand loaders as cat listed, but the 6.5 class is all over the map regarding factory ammo, brass, chamber dimensions, twist rates etc. hornady standardized things, fixed the common complaints, and released a well designed cartridge.

Detractors: you better like the eld series of projectiles, it’s unlikely you will see monolithic bullets or anything else in a factory loading anytime soon. The action is lighter so most 24 inch barreled rifles are very muzzle heavy. Probably a good place for a carbon barrel. If you go shorter on the barrel, you are wasting powder and essentially losing the performance you paid for.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:21 PM

KS Arms put a 6.5 PRC barrel on my nephews Browning mountain TI. He loves it and thinks it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread. Realistically, my 6.5-284 will do anything the PRC will.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:51 PM

I picked up a Christensen MPR in 6.5 PRC at Barton's this time last year and I've been grinning ever since. This rifle is a real peach; flat trigger, folding stock and M-Lok compatible carbon fibre hand guard. Shot two boxes of factory ammo breaking it in and then started reloading 143 ELD-X and 140 Accubonds over 54 to 58 grains of H1000. I've had one hole groups with the 143's but velocity wasn't quite where I wanted it. I'm up over 3000 fps now and groups are looking good (0.5 MOA), and I'm just starting to see a faint ejector mark. Can't get the Accubonds to shoot with that powder though. Going to try some H4831 soon, as I've heard good things.

I've never really had any experience/proficiency with extended range or rifles at this price point, but I've really gone down the rabbit hole with this caliber/rifle and the hits at long range are becoming more and more repeatable. The only issues I have now (yes - factory ammo is hard to find, as is brass), is finding a long distance range close to Edmonton and more time to shoot. I shot that buck in the photo last week from 190 yards quartering away and he died on his feet, with not too much meat lost on the opposite shoulder.

Can't say enough good things about this cartridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.5.jpg (62.2 KB, 122 views)
Old 11-28-2019, 08:35 PM

More recoil for 150fps......?? not worth it in my opinion.......Maybe at a 1000yds it will make a difference...but for most....just more ouch.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:22 AM

Default 6.5 prc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
More recoil for 150fps......?? not worth it in my opinion.......Maybe at a 1000yds it will make a difference...but for most....just more ouch.

Wife’s 7mm-08 kicks more than my PRC. Might be a couple ft-lbs more than a creed, but it ain’t no 26Nosler!

150fps? My creed shoots 143 led-x factory ammo at 2680 out of tikka CTR. My PRC was shooting 147 elf-m factory at 2950. Now my reloads with 156gr Berger are rolling at 3050.

Old 11-29-2019, 07:55 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-gun View Post
Wife’s 7mm-08 kicks more than my PRC. Might be a couple ft-lbs more than a creed, but it ain’t no 26Nosler!

150fps? My creed shoots 143 led-x factory ammo at 2680 out of tikka CTR. My PRC was shooting 147 elf-m factory at 2950. Now my reloads with 156gr Berger are rolling at 3050.

What powder are you loading them Bergers with? If you don't mind.
I've been looking at that PRC for a while.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:06 AM

I have never had anything in 6.5 but........ that's my next one, have looked at everything in 6.5 and done some comparisons, was leaning towards a 6.5-300 weatherby but it seems overbore as does the 26 nosler, almost 30% more powder for 10% more velocity just doesn't equate to me, having said that they are zingers alright and if a guy is careful to not really heat up the barrel I doubt I would ever shoot it out.

I think I have it narrowed down to just 2 now, a christensen arms mesa in 6.5 PRC or a weatherby mark V in a 6.5 RMP, both interesting, both carry enough terminal energy way out past the range where I am comfortable shooting, and both have mild recoil in a proper rifle.

The 6.5 RMP is almost impossible to find ammo and or brass, the 6.5 PRC is getting to a point now where ammo is available, brass still scarce but the hornady precision hunter line of ammo is getting more and more common.

I know that neither of these will do anything that the 6.5-284 won't do, almost balistical twins, but they are something new and if a guy is going to buy another rifle to play with it may as well be something new and slightly improved

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
What powder are you loading them Bergers with? If you don't mind.

I've been looking at that PRC for a while.

I am running N565, I couldn’t get over 2900fps with H1000. I could never find and R26 either. Heard good results with N565 and not disappointed.

Old 11-29-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-gun View Post

I have found the same with my 7-08AI, my PRC has less recoil. My son is 14 and said the same thing. I found some RL 26 and going to see what I can get for speed with the 156gr Bergers. I'm getting 2950fps with the 140gr bergers and 58.3 gr of H1000 in a 22" barrel.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I have never had anything in 6.5 but........ that's my next one, have looked at everything in 6.5 and done some comparisons, was leaning towards a 6.5-300 weatherby but it seems overbore as does the 26 nosler, almost 30% more powder for 10% more velocity just doesn't equate to me, having said that they are zingers alright and if a guy is careful to not really heat up the barrel I doubt I would ever shoot it out.

I think I have it narrowed down to just 2 now, a christensen arms mesa in 6.5 PRC or a weatherby mark V in a 6.5 RMP, both interesting, both carry enough terminal energy way out past the range where I am comfortable shooting, and both have mild recoil in a proper rifle.

The 6.5 RMP is almost impossible to find ammo and or brass, the 6.5 PRC is getting to a point now where ammo is available, brass still scarce but the hornady precision hunter line of ammo is getting more and more common.

I know that neither of these will do anything that the 6.5-284 won't do, almost balistical twins, but they are something new and if a guy is going to buy another rifle to play with it may as well be something new and slightly improved

If you deside to go with the 6.5RPM, you might as well go with the 6.5x284, same action length but ammo would be easier to find and cheaper. the only thing the PRC has going for it over the RPM, is it built on a short action, so the rifle might be a bit lighter.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:12 PM
Banned

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/edit...6.5-prc/307816

Interesting comparison between the two of them.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO CC View Post
https://www.rifleshootermag.com/edit...6.5-prc/307816

Interesting comparison between the two of them.
Factory Ammo comparison however , I never pay much attention to those stats , for one, if I am going long I don’t do it with factory ammo it barrels .
Cat
Old 11-29-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Recoil, ouch, and 6.5 PRC should not be used within the same sentance.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:52 AM

As stated a few times there is lots of similar calibers and guys that are achieving similar velocity with longer barrels or hot loads.

In my opinion there is always so many new calibers you can never try them all, that said I went with a 6.5 PRC because I was re-barreling a rifle and really like the case design.

My goal is 2950 ish FPS with 156 Berger’s and a 22 inch pipe. The gun will weigh 7.5 lbs loaded and will be used for deer and sheep mostly.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_doornenbal View Post
As stated a few times there is lots of similar calibers and guys that are achieving similar velocity with longer barrels or hot loads.

In my opinion there is always so many new calibers you can never try them all, that said I went with a 6.5 PRC because I was re-barreling a rifle and really like the case design.

My goal is 2950 ish FPS with 156 Berger’s and a 22 inch pipe. The gun will weigh 7.5 lbs loaded and will be used for deer and sheep mostly.
Liking a cartridge is the VERY BEST reason to pick one, regardless of it being "better" !
Cat
Old 11-30-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Liking a cartridge is the VERY BEST reason to pick one, regardless of it being "better" !
Cat
Yup, there are so many to chose from but they are all good.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:37 AM

Default 6.5pr

I am thinking of doing a custom on the PRC. Remington clone action. Tigger Tech trigger. 24 or maybe 26" barrel. Stock? Are most of you using a short action? Do those 156 Berger's require a long action?
Old 11-30-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 1 View Post
I am thinking of doing a custom on the PRC. Remington clone action. Tigger Tech trigger. 24 or maybe 26" barrel. Stock? Are most of you using a short action? Do those 156 Berger's require a long action?
My build was on T3 action and installed longer bolt stop. I would build on long action if you want to use 156 bergers.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:59 PM

Mine is a long action.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:31 AM

Default Mag length

Anyone on here with a 6.5prc in a CA ridgeline able to confirm their mag box length? Thinking of buying one. Would like to load the 140 Berger’s provided there’s some room there.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
Anyone on here with a 6.5prc in a CA ridgeline able to confirm their mag box length? Thinking of buying one. Would like to load the 140 Berger’s provided there’s some room there.
Call Barton's in GP
Old 12-01-2019, 02:44 PM

I like the idea of the PRC, but, I decided that at this point, the Creedmoor suited my want better. Could have picked up a 260Rem, but, Creedmoor brass is easier to come by. PRC's are out and available, wasn't turned on by the guns they were in. Just another toy to play with, like I need any more of those. So I joined the ranks of the Creedmo ho's I guess. Even bought a Tikka, in a bolt action yet, with an AR style grip. I lost my marbles years ago though.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:51 PM
Banned

Used a creedmoor on a couple critters this year and comparing it to my 6.5x284
I definitely prefer the added velocity for hunting
The prc should be almost identical to the 6.5x284
It would be a winner
Old 12-01-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_doornenbal View Post

Went the range today. Ave 2959fps with 156 bergers and RL 26 out of 22". Didn't think I would get that
Old 12-01-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Went the range today. Ave 2959fps with 156 bergers and RL 26 out of 22". Didn't think I would get that

How much powder ? And how was accuracy?